Extreme All Over Weakness After Exercise

I went on a stationary bike for the first time since I've been sick about a week ago. I only went for 5 min, and I felt fine while on the bike, but once I got off, I was so weak I had to lay down for a few hours but I could still walk if I had to. A few days later I went on the bike for 15 min. and I was SO weak after I got off! I couldn't move at all! My phone was about 2 feet away and it took me 30 min to get to it to call for help. Even lifting my fingers was difficult.

A few days later, I went on the bike for 5 min and the same thing happened but lasted less time.

Does anyone know why this happens? I was expecting to feel lightheaded if I had any negative reaction to exercise, but this was different. I really couldn't move, but not because I was paralyzed. It was more like I had hundreds of pounds of weight pushing down on me.

Usually when I exercise it's the next day I'm exhausted & for several days after. Did your HR go up? Did you feel well before you started exercise? Have you had your adrenals checked? I know 15 min doesn't sound like a long time but it is when your adrenals are exhausted. I've reacted that way when I've overdone & it feels like I'm trying to walk in concrete & I have concrete blocks tied to my arms. Be careful. I hope you're feeling better.

Hi Emily,

If I stick with a very moderate level of exercise (time and intensity), I'm usually okay, but when I overdo it, I'll feel horrible afterwards, kind of like you described but not as bad. I'm also like Alicia, where if I try to do too much, or do anything with weights, that I'll feel worse the next day...I know that there are several people on the Forum that can't exercise at all without getting quite ill. And I believe many of us have suffered the 'concrete legs and arms' syndrome, too. You're in good company!

Cheers,

Jana

Yeah i get this - I have a few ideas but they are just that. In some forms of POTS excessive peripheral vasoconstriction is a problem - perhaps this results in hypoxia and a reduction in the clearance of lactic acid from muscles??

Dr Stewart did some interesting work on exercise intolerance in POTs as well. worth checking out at www.syncope.org

My advice is stick with it. Gradual exercise should eventually result in a decrease of the payback symptom and and overall increase in strength (my experience)

I can usually exercise just fine. Sometimes, however, I just get horribly exhausted and have to lie down. Climbing stairs can do it. Or getting overheated. I sometimes describe it as "my heart feels tired." I've had a Holter, though, and it showed nothing. I even went for a run with it on. Nothing.