Hi Everyone, Sorry I've Been On And Off So Much.

Things have been crazy for me. Mostly have been down sick with dysautonomia stuff, but it is hard to tell where one thing begins, and another ends. My broken tooth decided it was going to hurt in a way that no one should ever have to hurt. But it finally spurred me into action. I thought for sure because the pain was all over my head and chest, that there was infection in my heart. Soooo....I called my dentist, and got an appointment, for the 29th of this month. Then I called and got a appointment with a DO, so I would have a local doctor! yay! Then I called my cardiologist to see about getting an antibiotic, which started a nightmare and reminded me why I don't keep trying to get help. They said my cardiologist was out of town, but I talked to the nurse. She said sounds like you are making yourself sick with your tooth(why is it always my fault?). Call your dentist, and get an antibiotic. So I called there, and he was also out of town. I explained what the nurse at the cardiologist had said, so she talked to the other dentist in the office. I didn't get a chance to explain about me and medications to her, and she had already called in a prescription for clydimiacin. I had read not to take it with liver problems, so asked for something else, which made her mad, and she didn't call me back. So I had to go to the pharmacy to see if it had been changed. It had to a cephalaspore, which said if you have had any reaction to penecillin not to take it. Plus it was 500mg, to be taken 4 times a day, and I am supposed to take less, not more. Well I didn't find this out until after everything was closed, so one more night of pain for me. But the pain improved, and went away, so I just did what I do best, and gave up. Well it started hurting again about 5 days ago, and the pain became so severe I tried pulling my own teeth. So I called a nurse line on my insurance, and she said she wouldn't take that, and that was when I found out it was too large of a dose. So I took her advice, and called Mayo clinic. The allergist who diagnosed me was out on a family emergency. So they took my information. Then I tried talking to an oral surgeon there, and they couldn't help me. After one more night without sleep, and went outside for some fresh air to try and help me at 2 am, and accidentally locked myself outside where I stayed for the rest of the night, I once again tried the cardiologist office, and they said they couldnt' help me because it was for dental work, and I should call the dentist back. My husband after watching me cry hysterically in pain for days called the emergency room, and they said they can only give me pain pills. Then he called the dentist back, and the same receptionist said they can't prescribe me anything, because they don't know my case well enough. So I took my car, and sat in a park close to my house depressed that no one will help me, and I cried myself to sleep. But it ended up being good, because when I woke up 3 hours later my tooth didn't hurt, my face didn't hurt, it was like something was pressing on the nerve of the tooth, causing the pain, leaving me to wonder if there is even an infection there.

So this is why I never have medical care. I only have so much energy, and this is how it goes for me. If I question anything, this is what I get. I was prescribed an antibiotic, without ever even being seen, or knowing what the true problem was. On the bright side of things I am feeling a little bit better today. Now I just have to figure out if I can go ahead with the tooth extraction without the antibiotic......or will I just keep this tooth in my mouth till I can pull it myself!!! :angry: uuuuggggghhhhh.....

I have been thinking of all you friends on here, and it keeps me going. other then my tooth I have still been unfortunatly pretty sick. I don't spend hardly any time on the computer when I am this sick. I don't know if it is the holding up of my head, the light from the screen, or what but it becomes difficult for me, and all my energy goes to daily things. But I want you all to know you are all in my prayers every night, and the thoughts that I am not in this alone keeps me going. As soon as I can I plan on catching up with all of you! Take care.

Hugs

Suzy

Hi Suzy,

Thank you for letting us know how you've been doing, although it made my heart hurt to read of all the recent (and continuing) struggles. The part where you locked yourself outside :angry: , you poor thing! It is really appalling that neither your dentist or cardiologist's staff treated you appropriately. I know many of us have problems with our doctor's, but the staff can make or break you too!

So are you getting to see a local doctor? Will you still go to the dentist on the 29th?

Thank you again and please take care,

Janie

Suzy,

It's so good to hear from you again. I'm sending you positive energy and thought/prayers that you will get through this difficult time soon. A little levity, though, I just want through something similar with my dentist/cardio about a bad tooth that I have...I have to get a crown for a back left molar, and my appointment is also on the 29th! But I went through all the phone calls too, and finally got the right antibiotic. I think you probably should take an appropriate antibiotic before your dental work. I know it's so hard, ridiculously hard just to try and do something as simple as get the right antibiotic! It can really beat you down. But don't give up, I know you can get through it and be done with that freaking tooth once and for all!

Let us know how you do, and many hugs,

Jana

pat57 and Firewatcher, thank you for the support.

Janie, the being outside wasn't too bad. The weather was nice, and I was able to get in my car. I just didn't want to wake my family, and figured I wasn't going to be able to sleep anyways.....but it seemed to fit in with how things were going for me. The thing I don't understand is there are 4 cardiologsts in the same office. Why couldn't they just let me see another one? Especially consdering my concern was for bacterial endocarditis. I don't see how that does not concern them. They are the ones who told me I need antibiotics. In fact the first time I was on the phone with the nurse she said just make sure you take something for the procedure or all kinds of bad things will let loose in you :angry: ! But I found new information from the American Heart Institute that I may not need to take an antibiotic. So My appointment is in 3 days, and no one will give me anything, or even see me, which is the same thing that happens when I have tried this before. Which is why I am so nervous. They tell me to take an antibiotic, but won't give it to me. Something doesn't seem right about that. Yes I have an apointment with a D.O. on August 15th. I am hoping that this will be a good local doctor for me. And yes I plan on keeping the dental appointment, but am scared to death about if I will be O.K. without an antibiotic. Thank you for your support, and concern. I hope you take care also, and I hope things have been going good for you.

Hugs

Suzy

Hi Jana,

Sorry you went through this also. But I think that is funny we both have appointments on the same day. I won't feel so alone now! I really wish I didn't have such a hard time taking stuff. It really makes me nervous, because of how sick I have gotten before on medicine. I am thinking that the doctors are probably nervous about prescrbing stuff too, but they can't be more nervous then me! I hope your appointment goes really well for you. Mine is at 2 in the afternoon. If you don't mind me asking what antibiotic did you get?? Did you read the newer guidlines set out by the american Heart institute? Says not so many people need antibiotics. I think though if you have an implantable device that you would still need one.

http://www.brightsurf.com/news/headlines/3...procedures.html

I found this trying to figure out what to do on my own. Take care, and thank you for the support.

Hugs

Suzy

Hi Suzy, Can you call the dentist's office and ask to speak with him personally about your medical concerns prior to your appointment? It sounds like the office staff is very unhelpful, so maybe he'll be more receptive. Just a thought. I understand your hesitancy to do this procedure without antibiotics, and to take them also considering your horrible reactions in the past.

Take care, Janie

Suzy,

My appointment is at 1 pm! They gave me Amoxicillin to take...I just have to make sure to take it with food, and I can't take all 4, I usually try 2 1/2 - 3. Well, I'll sure be thinking about you when I go now. Let me know how you do!

Cheers,

Jana

Hi Janie, the dentist that seen me before, and who is going to pull my tooth, said when I seen him way back in February, that I didn't need to take one, because I didn't have an artficial valve. But at my cardologist office they keep acting like it is insane not to take one. The whole subject wouldn't have come up if my tooth wasn't hurting. But unfortunatly in trying to find somethng to reassure myself that I will be ok without them I end up finding frightening stories about not taking antibiotics. I can try calling his office again on Monday, he should be back in town. I just have to get through the angry receptionist. I tried to bring my paperwork for my medication problems in a few months ago, so the dentist could look at them, but she wouldn't take them, that is why I waited to do this. I thought I had to go to a doctor for the antibiotic, because the receptionist wouldn't even look at the paperwork. Sometimes I feel like I am trying to knock down a brick wall with a feather! Thank you for your help. The last time I took an antibiotic I only took 2 pills, and for the next year about maybe less, I was sooooo sick, and that is when my skin blisters started, and my liver enzymes were elevated so about 5 different doctors kept testing me for hepatitis...you all will be happy to know I don't have it! And I started vomitting again. So I know this stuff isn't just me being nervous, which I am. Anyways...thank you thank you...you are such a nice person.

Hi Jana, well if all goes right we will both have sore faces around the same time! So you can take less, and still be covered ok? That would be easier for me if I could at least take less. I will be thinking of you too. Let me know how yours goes too...Take care,

Hugs

Suzy

(((((((((((Janie)))))))))))) thank you, thank you, thank you!

Suzy,

I am a dental hygienist and might be able to shed some insight on the premedication issue. First, if you don't mind telling me, what type of heart condition do you have that the cardio initially advised premed for? You are right about the AHA. They have changed their guidelines quite a bit in regards to antibiotic premedication. They are recommending antibiotics for very few conditions now. I know this is not a substitute for medical advice, but I can at least tell you how I am treating my patients in conjunction with the dentists I work with. Hope I can help.

Its my life, ( I love your name )

Thank you! that would give me such a great deal of reassurance! I have a, as my cardiologist wrote very mild aortic valve insuficency. It is a one to 2. On my last Echo I had mild leaflet thickening, and my mitral valve, and tricuspic valve also had "trace" insuficency. I don't know if that was new or not. I don't have any parts that are not my own. I have never had a surgery, or anything like that. If I hadn't started fainting, and a very aware doctor hadn't heard the murmer, (because most don't it's really quiet.) I would never have known I had this. Every time I look for information on this I end up finding stories like the guy who's mom had dental work, and 2 days later had a abcess on her brain, had brain surgery to remove it, and died a week later! So although I am looking for something to reasure myself I end up scaring myself to death! I cannot tell you how much this means to me! THANK YOU!!

Hugs

Suzy

In my experience, the (very good) dentists I've worked with would not advise premedication in your case. This is in light of the change in AHA guidelines in April of 2007. This is also assuming you've never had a previous episode of bacterial endocarditis. I have included a link from the ADA written for patients that might be easier for you to understand than those written for medical professionals (or those frightful stories written by lay people who probable leave out all but the scary parts!). I hope this helps. Please remember that is not a substitute for medical advice only my experience as a dental professional.

American Dental Association guidelines for premedication

It's my life,

Thank you so much. I cannot tell you how much reassurance you gave me. I wasn't sure who was right, the dentist who originally said I don't need an antibiotic, or the cardiologist, who told me this some time ago. The dentist said as long as I am not having pain it is ok, which I am having pain, but it comes and goes, making me think it is not infection. I think there is an abcess under the tooth, but I don't know if that makes any difference. I read the article, and yes, it is much more reassuring to read something that is not a horror story. I can't even tell you how much better this makes me feel. I will still call my dentist tomorrow, but with much less fear! I know this is not medical advice, but it sure helps me. Thank you so much.

hugs, and thanks

Suzy

Oh my dear one...I KNOW when you are NOT on this forum SOMETHING major is going on with you !! Knowing that I pray for you and hope you are given the strength to carry on..thank goodness your hubby did try..DANG!!

If YOU have not earned a special place in HEAVEN..I bet you truly have.

{{{{ HUGS }}}}

I used to work in the dental field...gets confusing.

Hey I thought of YOU as I had my endoscopic eval..and it was so rough on you. I slept through mine...and they were so nice. I had this BRAVO device attached to esophagus and its measuring acid for 36 hours. I am returning the little computer I had to wear. Did you go through that? My swallowing problem feels worse now..and he stretched my esophagus. I wonder if it just hurts for awhile. Its bearable.

Wish I could stroke your hair.. and give you gentle reassurance. So remember...even if you are not on this forum YOU are not forgotten and in fact remembered fondly even more

Luv N Hugs..Jan

Hi Jan, I am so sorry that having that procedure done made you feel worse....I was supposed to have something like that done where I had something down my throat, but I never got through with the endoscopy...I guess they didn't want me throwing any more doctors around the room! I am so glad you understand why I disapear sometimes....thank you for the understanding. I am always thinking of you and everyone on here. Hoping we could all just feel better.

Well when it rains it pours. I was woken up this morning by a phone call from my husband. He needed me to come and get him, and take him to the hospital. Soooo that is where I was all day today, and I never got a chance to call the dentist. But I figure things always happen for a reason, so maybe I just need to go in, and get it done. The worse part was my husband is still having the same problem, (its a bleeding problem), and all they did after a whole day at the hospital was check his blood counts!!!! UUUUUGGGGGHHHHH!!!! I hope you all are having a better day!

Hugs

Suzy

Hi AJW, thank you so much for the well wishes.

Today wasn't that day unfortunatly. I went to the dentist, with my list of drugs that are metabolised by the cyp2d6 gene I am missing, and told him about my concerns, and the antibiotics issue. He said I should be just fine without an antibiotic, and wasn't concerned, but didn't seem to want to be the one to give me the novacain. He said if I would be more comfortable he could refer me to an oral surgeon, and that he has emergency equipment just in case I do have some sort of a reaction to something. He said he was comfortable doing it though. I decided to go to the oral surgeon, and at least talk to him, and if it doesn't work out he said I could come back there. That will also give me time to get a new cardiologist, and hopefully that will give me the reassurance I need. I don't know why I am so scared. Maybe because every decision I make involving medication ends up bad for me. It would sure be nice if there were some easier way to treat difficult patients like me. UUGGHHH. Jana, I hope you appointment went well. I hope you all are doing good, and thank you all for the support and listening.

Hugs

Suzy

{{{ SUZY }}}} Sending you a gentle hug...and to remember.. to USE your faith.. your belief in God..whatever. YOU WILL BE GUIDED...trust this knowledge ok?

I know its been hard due to your past..I will pray too..and wait and see.. YOUR MIRACLE WILL BE coming your way

Warmly Jan

Hi Jan,

Thank you. I am praying. I am kind of wishing I wouldn't of said anything, and just let him pull the teeth blindly, but that won't help me in the long run. Thanks for your support.

Hugs

Suzy