Compression Stockings

kayjay

Kayjay,

You need a prescription for them. 30-40mm/hg work best for me. I use "shapewear" instead of hose since I do not tend to pool in my lower legs and feet. I pool in my stomach and thighs and "thigh shapers" have higher compression than the hose in those areas. Maidenform makes a WorkIt line at WalMart that I use, very comfortable and effective and much less expensive than the hose.

I suggest buying the 20-30 for you first pair, and going here

http://www.discountsurgical.com/wizard.asp

these are good and very affordable. The Absolute Brand.

But my thinking is try these out to see what they are like. And buy just one pair. You can upgrade the compression and Brand next time.

I don't remember where I saw it but 30mm/hg was recommended,for us, so those would be ok. I prefer the 30-40 also but they are harder

to put on.

I asked my doctor what she recommended for me in terms of stocking weight, and since it was a prescription, I order two pairs and got them for free. I also had a prescription for my wheelchair and my insurance company paid for all of it. Make sure you check with insurance, because they may well pay part or all of your hose and other prescribed items.

Cheers,

Jana

i'm disabled after working most of my life and now on medicare, who won't pay for compression hose unless you have a wound. they are 70 dollars a pair for knee high at the med. supply store. my walker i had to pay up front for and wait to be paid back. when i get the wheelchair it's rented to me for a year then it's mine. i hope i get to pick a purple one to feel youthful. :) . i have a list of med supplies i need now, from back braces, carple tunnel braces, to shower stools.

i keep telling myself, This is only a movie." helps me laugh and make it through each day. :angry:

Blessings and Love,

Bellamia~

I wear 30-40 compression. I have tried 20-30, but it wasn't beneficial at all for me. I usually wear knee highs because they are easier to put on. I purchase my compression hose on Ames Walker. They are much cheaper there than in a medical supply store (sometimes half the cost). Plus, you don't have to bother with getting a prescription. The Jobst and Sigvaris brands are my favorites.

In addition to the knee highs, I wear either Spanks Mid-Thigh Shapers, or the "Work-It" shapers that Firewatcher mentioned. I have a lot of pooling in my abdomen, and I tried waist high 30-40 compression hose. The problem was that they were too tight up around my tummy. The Spanks and other shapers are not as tight as the 30-40 compression hose are in the waist.

It took a lot of trial and error before I found the styles, brands, and compression strength that works the best for me. We're all different. I hope you can find what works for you.

Rachel

My insurance doesn't pay for the hose either unless you have a wound from venous stasis. I went to Brightlifedirect.com and bought their generic Allegro brand. You don't need a prescription for the 20-30 mmHg compression. For Allegro you'll only pay $20-something. Pretty cheap. I get the thigh-high surgical weight because they don't break down or run easily, but they texture is a bit rough and they have other choices. They have a measuring chart online for each of their brands. You just need some type of measuring tape. I've found their charts to be very accurate for me.

You can spend a lot more money on hose. My first pair were Jobst and they were $125. They were pretty thin and got runs easily.

I was told by Mayo that I have a mildly hyperadrenergic response to my pooling. I have problems with vasoconstriction as well as vasodilation in my extremities. For this reason, a bit too much compression for me actually decreases my blood flow too much. I wish I could wear higher compression, as I'm still quite symptomatic just with the 20-30. I've noticed that since wearing the hose decreases my pooling, I have less adrenaline produced too, and less problems with excessive vasoconstriction (like chilblains).

On hot days, I actually do better with the hose on since the heat makes me pool even more. But I bring a small spray bottle with me and spritz my hose whenever I need which helps me cool down quite a bit!

medicare would be saving money to prevent further dammage. I've worked a full life now disabled legally 8 years. after 2 years they put you on medicare primary and sadly i'm so poor i get secondary medicaid (supplemental) medicaid will only pay a certain percent if the item is covered by medicare.

when i was in the supply store last a man was getting compression hose and his the dr didn't write how many. the woman askd how many would you like? they decided 3 pairs and she could write it in. I said is that for compression hose? she told me yes. then I said and I can't get one pair but uou can write in 3 for him.

That's not fair, do I have to go home and and wound myself for a pair? She only laughed She was making money for her store. I also had to pay upfront for my walker and have to go back to order the wheelchair as you have to get these things in stages with insurance. walker first, then rent a wheel chair. keep this in mind if your disabled and on medicare.

blessings bellamia~

my neuro said that med compression kneen high are the easiest to get used to to start. :angry:

forgot to add this.

time to let the dog out.

bellamia~