Anyone Been To Dr. Thompson In Pensacola?

sue1234

I have read a few things here and there, but not a ton of stuff. I would like to hear some stories about how he went about helping your condition. He is the closest "expert" for me to travel to. You would think living close to Houston's "largest medical complex in the world" would be an asset, but not for POTS!!! Thank you so much to anyone that can give me some information, as I don't do well traveling, and it would be a huge ordeal for me to ride 6 hours, in the summer heat, in a car down the interstate(with the anxiety of the a/c going out in the car! Such anxiety all the time :( ).

I live in south florida and did see Dr. Thompson. He is very nice and takes a good amount of time to see you and get all the facts. The difficult part is that he understands pots because he has it himself so he personally knows what you're going through. On the other side of the coin is there are times he has to cancel his appointments because of his health. If your driving any distance you don't want to get there and not be able to see him. He is up front with you when you see him. He explains all of this to you. He gave me a med to try and it took three weeks for him to return a phone call in regards as to what I should do. This is only my opinion, but if you want a doctor to be able to treat you he has to be well himself in order to do that. I have talked with another woman who lives here in south florida and was almost there when he cancelled her appointment. She made such a fuss that he stayed and saw her, but she never went back again. It's a tough call, because he is a very caring man, but his health is an issue. Only you can decide if this is a good fit for you or not.

Maggie

he is my doc and i love him to pieces. but maggie is right, that is a long way to go. and there is a possibility he will have to cancel. i live in the same town, so it is not a prob for me, as i have had to cancel on him, also. he was ahead of me, but not i think we are even.

it is just hard being that he is sick himself. and i cut him slack for that. as i know how hard it is. he does a much education in our local area as possible, but as we know some just don't get it.

personally, ohio is a long way to come from. isn't dr. grubb in ohio? i know he takes a while to get appt. w/ but have heard awesome things about his nurse bev. there is one doc in alabama ( i think), at the teaching hospital there. brain fog won't let me remember which one, but i think my dr's, dr's there.

sue, couldn't remember yesterday, but i think his name is (doc treating my doc) is dr. coghlan (sp) but he is either at uab or auburn. he might even be on the list. i see dr.t on the 30th i will ask him. he his really great at offering info like that. i don't know what part of louisiana your from but i know the drive can be anywhere from 8-3 1/2 hours. so my suggestion is that if you still want to come see him (dr.t) then make sure you are his 1st appt. even though he likes to do new patients in afternoon. that way you can know possibly before you leave if he is having probs.

just trying to give as much info as i can for you to be able to way the pro's and con's.

I adored meeting Dr. Thompson. I didn't see him as a patient. I went to see him for the filming of the documentary. I've been to Mayo in Rochester, MN and Jax, FL and to Dr. Grubb but I learned a lot from Dr. Thompson. When the filming was over he even took the time to talk to me about my life with POTS. I was very impressed. If I didn't live 9 hours away I would see him as a patient. He is upfront about how he has to cancel sometimes when he is not feeling well and that is something to consider if you are traveling a far distance to see him. But at the same time, how many doctors are you going to find that truly understand and have experienced what you are going through? It's something to consider.

There is another doctor in Alabama, as someone else mentioned, that treats and worked with Dr. Thompson that might be worth looking into so you don't have such a long trip with the possibility of cancellation.