A Couple Questions About Support Stockings

I just started giving support stockings a try. I'm trying 20-30mmHg, waist high. I checked my blood pressure and heart rate with and with out the stockings. Without the stockings I had a 39 beat increase (when going from laying down to standing). It went up to a 59 beat increase after 10 min. After putting on the stockings I had an increase of 25, with an increase of 41 after 10 mins. with and with out the stockings my bp went up. It went up a little less with the stockings. I think the stockings are helping some. Do you think a higher compression would be better?

Also the stockings make my toes sore some of the time. Just from the pressure...like wearing tight shoes. Has anyone tried the open toed stockings? Are they ok? Does the open toe cause pooling in your toes?

Thanks!

the open toed were too tight at the opening for me and really hurt, but I stuck a glass though , overnight, and that remedied the problem.

Is your heel at the right place? Yank on the toe of the stocking to loosen it. I have pulled the heel past my heel ( guess I was rushing) and that caused my toes to be to tight.

If you can stick with the lighter compression, that is , if you feel well, I would. The tighter ones are harder to put on. But I would recommend you go to a medical supply store where they let you try them on because then you will know how much difference they make for you.

I have both 20-30 and 30-40 and I decide which ones to wear based on how I'm feeling. If it's a hotter day outside I wear the lighter compression ones since they are more comfortable for me and easier to put on . If I'm more lightheaded the higher compression definitely are more helpful so I wear those. I've never tried the open toe ones. I also have problems with toe pain from the support hose. I've even noticed I get occasional ingrown toenails I think because they squeeze my toes together. I wish I had a solution to that. My big problem right now is I have a hard time with heat tolerance and they are so Hot. I dread wearing them during the summer months. I think I may have to get a cooling vest just so I can keep my hose on this summer. I also get mine at a medical supply store. They were very helpful with the fitting of my support hose so I got the right size and they've also been good about taking them back if there is a problem.

Good luck!!

Brye

a few weeks ago i bought some open toe compression stockings, i have been using the closed ones for ages but i figured that in during the warm/hot months the open toe ones would be more comfortable and cooler.Now after wearing them for a while i must say that getting them was a good decision for me. When it get too warm/hot, i can spray my toes with water... They definately make me feel cooler then the closed ones. Of course in during the winter months i will switch over the the closed ones again.

carinara

I wear open toe 30-40 most of the time, and 40-50 on bad days. They are hot, but worth it. I really don't like anything confining my toes, for some reason. At this point I no longer find them hard to put on, since I've been doing it for almost three years. I don't think the compression in the closed toe is meant to include the toes, so I don't think I'm losing anything. I can tell by their color, though, how I'm doing! If I've been on my feet they are often red; if I want to pass out they turn purple!

The open toed stockings are much more comfortable for me. My toes also get sore after a while if I'm wearing regular support hose. I wear mens support dress socks in the winter, and those don't hurt my toes quite as much. Probably because they are made for men, who typically have larger feet than women. I wear a mens 10/ womens 12 shoe, though, so I have big feet. I think my toes just get a little cramped in some of the support hose/socks. The open toed ones are great, I think, but only if you get the most sheer kind. Some of them are very thick and heavy, making them hot and uncomfortable. The open toed ones are fun, too, because then you can still wear flip flops and sandles. :( If you want to know which opentoed stockings I have found to be the best, just let me know and I'll post it for you. I'm too sleepy to do a search for them right now.

If the open toed stockings are brand new or if I am sitting wrong, then I have noticed that my toes turn a little blue. But as soon as I move my legs a little or prop them up for two minutes, that goes away.

A higher compression definitely helps me. I have to wear 30-40 to notice any benefit from the stockings. Trying a higher compression may be very beneficial for you.

I hope you can find what works for you.

Rachel