'riley Ace Of Cats ' Is Coming To Live With Us .

willows

Having lost my beautiful 'Goldie ' over a year ago now with cancer we have now decided its time to bring another furry critter into our home and our hearts.

Yesterday Mike and I went and had a look at the two local cats/dogs homes and found the most beautiful moggy ever :)

He's a lovely silver tabby with a white face panel and four white paws and his name is 'Riley ' , so being a strange sort of person I suddenly thought 'hang on a minute ' there was a TV series called Riley ace of spies ! so what about calling him 'Ace of cats' and then it hit me .............................OMG what a good idea for a series of kids books !!!!!!

So , I've put a few lines down about what I'd like to write about and I've come up with two books so far :

'Riley Ace of Cats ............The homecoming and 'Riley to the rescue' I'm hoping Mark will take photos of Riley doing things for me to use rather than drawings in the books and I'm looking at writing for the age groups of 5-8 years old , with around 20 pages or so to each book .

I haven't written for children since I was in my 20's which is a long , long time ago so I'm quite looking forward to doing something that is not to technical or that needs loads of information .

If I can once Riley is home , which should be sometime tomorrow or Thursday I'll see if I can add a photo to this page .

By the way, Riley was abandoned one day , he was left at the gates to a cats/dogs home without any paperwork or food etc and he'd been attacked by another cat or a dog and has damage to one eye , but as I said to the boys 'we are all old crocks in this house so having a cats with a disability doesn't make any difference ' because his left eye is turned downwards most people who are looking for a cat ignore him .................but he's such a cutey and so adorable , so its there loss and our gain .

Ami

sorry, i must have been sleep writing again. :)

congrats! on your new arrival! I wish you the best! T here's nothing like a furry friend!

Hopefully here are some photos of Riley , you can see his eye quite clearly in them .

His first night with us was interesting as I decided to stay down with him and he decided to keep me warm !

He started by laying on my feet , then moved up beside me laying full out between the settee and my body , this was then followed by a head being placed on my chest ..........followed by the rest of his body .........he then decided to wrap himself around my neck with his front feet around my left ear and his back legs around my right ear <_< I must have feel asleep because I was woken up by Riley sitting on my head !!!!!!!

Needless to say I asked him to desist his paw work on my hair ( needing the doe ) and politely shoved him back down the settee again :angry:

Blooming typical another nut case living in the house !!!!!

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i318/ban...eyaceofcats.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i318/ban...yaceofcats1.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i318/ban...yaceofcats4.jpg

Hopefully here are some photos of Riley , you can see his eye quite clearly in them .

His first night with us was interesting as I decided to stay down with him and he decided to keep me warm !

He started by laying on my feet , then moved up beside me laying full out between the settee and my body , this was then followed by a head being placed on my chest ..........followed by the rest of his body .........he then decided to wrap himself around my neck with his front feet around my left ear and his back legs around my right ear <_< I must have feel asleep because I was woken up by Riley sitting on my head !!!!!!!

Needless to say I asked him to desist his paw work on my hair ( needing the doe ) and politely shoved him back down the settee again :ph34r:

Blooming typical another nut case living in the house !!!!!

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i318/ban...eyaceofcats.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i318/ban...yaceofcats1.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i318/ban...yaceofcats4.jpg

He's too cute! Me and all my hives are jealous! :angry:

I nearly died of laughter just now :huh: ??????

As Riley cannot go out in the garden for about 4 to 6 weeks or until he's used to us and the house and we feel its safe to let him out without him doing the preverbeal 'runner' well , I've gone and bought him a shhhhhhhhhhhhh ( dog ) small animal harness and a long ( 16 foot retractable) lead , so here am I all kitted out with boots , gloves and a thick coat as its sunny here and I'm freezing cold , just for a change :( and out goes Riley and I, sniff here , sniff there , quick low walk belly almost on the ground like he's in the SAS doing some sort of 'Recky' and we did just manage to get down the three steps of the decking before ...................................... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzoooooooooooooooooooooooooooom :o

Riley does a quick double back and its the quickest I've ever seen a cat go back into a house in my whole life .....................leaving me with an extended 16 foot lead still in the garden :lol::lol::lol:

In I go and where is he ?

In his ( dog ) shhhhhhhh basket which is made of soft thick squishy pale blue fur and the little critter is laying there kneading the doe purring like some pneumatic drill on fast forward...............I said he was loony like us and this has just proved it .

Men ..............and cats . :blink:

Oh , yes by the way , Hubby who has always said he didnt really like cats ( cough, cough ) has made the most fuss , been on his knees the most , played with him the longest and then actually said that he would stay down 'just in case Riley got scarred ' in the dark last night :lol::lol: er ..................he's a cat dear !

And who was talking all ' cat talk , meowing and purring ' this morning at 7 am ........................hubby , the one who doesn't like cats !

As I said men and cats . :blink:

Ami .

• 2 weeks later...

:( And now an update on Riley......................

Riley isn't with us anymore and the animal rescue centre we purchased him off has been reported to the RSPCA :o

Read on : :o When Riley arrived he was as good as gold, so clean with his litter tray , very friendly and in all a happy little chappy .

We had talked at lenght to the rescue centre about his eye injury and they talk us that his eye looked bad but that it wasn't causing any pain and that may be in later years he might need it taken out , but that would be in many years to come , they said he had no other problems and we excepted this as fact .

Mark, Mike and I had him out of his kennel about three times in all and he took to Mark like he'd known him all his life , everything was fine and he came home .

The first week we expected him to be quiet and possibly follow us about until he got his bearings and felt safe , he came out into the garden on his body brace and lead and loved it .

By day 10 he had started to talk ..........and I do mean talk very loudly and on and off day time . :)

By day 12 he had stared to show signs of something wasn't right , we had noticed that when he came to sit on your lap that he would be fine for about 5-10 minutes then suddenly his head would 'twitch' and he'd leap of your lap and fly yo the front windows crying , over and over again he started to do this .

I checked his eye and the surrounding areas and this was not causeing him any problems .

ON the Sunday evening at 7 Pm her started to cry constantly , this increased to a wail and went on for hours and hours ........12 in fact :o

I came down when Mark went to bed at 12 midnight and he was still walking up and won the lounge then charging at the front windows banging his head on then and at one point he was screaming !

I put soft music on and laid down on the settee trying to calm him ...............nope didnt work ...........I tried food, drink, cuddles, then braced him up and at 4 am I walked him up and down our road and into the church yard..........still crying constantly .

By 5 am I was feeling unwell and decided to put Riley , his bed, toys, water and litter tray in Mikes lounge and leave him to it until the morning when I could call the vets.

Mark got up at 7 am and when he saw wheat Riley had done he couldnt believe it .......he'd pulled down the curtain track and 2 heavy curtains in mikes room and somehow he must have fallen behind Mikes 18th Birthday flat screen TV as this was on the floor and had been broken along with the tray his water/food was on and he'd clawed at the settee and marked the walls............and escaped. :o

We didnt have to search a lot as we could hear Riley screaming over the top of a pneumatic drill being used at the end of our road , 2 hours later we had trapped him and brought him back.

I called the vets who agreed with em that Riley could possibly have Brain damaged from the head injury he had been brought in with as it would have taken some blow to make a cats eye go like it had and although the vet had X-ray his head they had not cat scanned it .

I called the animal rescue home and all they said was they would come and collect him even after I had explain all about his screaming and head banging .........they turned up and got me to sign Riley over to them and then disappeared .

I called the vet the next day to see what had been down only to find he hadn't seen the cat :o:o:o I called the rescue home and believe it or not ................HE HAD BEEN PUT BACK FOR RE-HOMING '

Mark, Mike AND I ARE SO ANGRY WITH THEM , I'VE NOW CALLED THEM THREE TIMES AND TRIED TO SPEAK TO THE MANAGER OF THE HOME BUT SHE'S ALWAYS NOT AVAILABLE AND THEY REALLY ARE NOT INTERESTED IN WHAT WE HAVE TO SAY ................ :P

So I called the local RSPCA and reported the rescue centre for as far as we can see they are willing to let this cat go without giving it a proper check, over again by a vet and they have now put it back for re-homing even thought we have reported that it has a major health problem which needs sorting . All we can see happening is that another family comes along gets told its just a small eye injury , they take him home as we did .....fall in love with him as we all did , then discover he'd got major problems.

It seems to me that the more people they get to take Riley on and then have to bring him back the more money they will make on him , we paid ?60 for him for under 2 weeks ............and its cost us over ?400 in damages so far !!!!!!

Its not the household damaged I'm concerned about at all but Riley's health , is he in pain ?, can be see properly or is his vision so distorted he's scared ? , has he got a blood clot or is he bleeding from the pain ? The trouble is we aren't in a position to be able to afford to take him for a cat scan at the major Bristol vet hospital as this will cost us in the region of up to ?1,000 for the scan and board for him , something we didnt expect to have to pay after just 11 days of getting a cat !!! and the insurance I had on him doe not cover existing conditions .

So at this time we are without a furry critter .................but in th next week we are going to be proud owners of not just a beautiful jet black 18 month old mum who looks like a siamese cat ( but black ) but we are also taking her last male kitten who we are going to call 'Harley' after the bike Harley Davidson .

If you are thinking blimey thats quick ............we do have a reason for this , we need these animals for Mike as he is very down at the minute and we feel having a cat or cats about and having to look after them , feed and play with them etc will help to bring a smile back and give him something else to think about and enjoy , his POTS has been quite bad recently again and he's been so tired and having to stay in bed ...........so a 2 month old kitten flying about his bed and a wonderful sleek mum curling up with him we , as well as his doctors think will make a whole lot of difference to him .

More to follow when the cats arrive next week.

AMI ........Mark and Mike.

Oh, that's a tough one. I'm sorry, and I hope someone at the shelter realizes how unwell Riley is.

We had gotten my mom a shelter cat last year. She was sweet, docile and perfect! We named her Patches. My mom can't work anymore because of her carcinoid syndrome and spends much of her time alone at home, and she enjoyed Patches' company. Patches got brushed every day and loved it until one day, a couple weeks after she was adopted, during her brushing she snarled and leapt at mom's face, biting mom's nose and clawing her scalp! :o Poor mom called dad, who was running errands, and dad called me and told me to go help mom as she was very distraught. I took her to urgent care where she received antibiotics and some pain pills.

Meanwhile, dad and my hubby had trapped the cat in a bathroom and were deciding which firearm to use on it... until they realized they'd be arrested for discharging a gun in the city. So they called all the local vets to have the cat put down, but none of the vets would take her! So they called the shelter and returned Patches, and were given a coupon for another free cat. They were told Patches would be put on observation for 14 days and then.........

My mom has short bowel syndrome, and always gets dehydrated and malnourished on antibiotics. She lost quite a bit of weight due to the antibiotics and has now finally regained it a year later. Also, my two dogs keep me so busy that I realized Zoie, my cat of 5 years, has been somewhat neglected. Now mom has Zoie and is happy to dote on her, which makes all of us happy too!

OMG Thankful what an awful thing to happen to your mum, the trouble is when you take a cat that is from one of the animal rescue centres they try to ship them in and out so fast that they never really know if a cat has a problem or not .

When Riley was found abandoned tied to the gates of the rescue centre , left there overnight so no one would know who owned him ( disgraceful behaviour ) he was seen by the vet and had his head x-ray , they said that he was also covered in small cuts and scratches ( but we could see no scars or any sign of these ) and that his coat was in poor condition , yet when we took him just 18 days after being abandoned he looked in excellent condition except for his eye. The people who run and work in these centres I admit really do a good job , BUT they are only there from around 8 am until 5 pm each day and dont see what the animals do at night or how they react to things like that .

Sophie and Harley have been with this cat animal rescue home for over 2 months , the lady who runs this small rescue home has only two expectant mums in her home at any one time and they live in her home , one mum in the downstairs study and one in the playroom. Louise attends the cats and kittens 24 /7 , she feeds them , cleans them and helps the mums give birth as well as take such good care of each and every kitten . She pays for all the vaccinations and all the operations for both male and females to make sure no other kittens can be produced, even when we take Harley at just 10 weeks , when he is six months old his vet bill has already been paid for us to take him for his 'De-doodling ' :lol: as we like to call it :blink:

Louise spent a good hour and a half talking to all of us about the kittens and what we do , our home , any other pets we have had and only if she is 100% satisfied that you will give one ....two or however many you wanted of the kittens a good home , be loving and kind to them , only then will she let them go ..............BUT she brings them to your home and even at this point if she believes she has made the wrong decision she will not leave them with you .

Most animal rescue centres do a home visit and just look around the house and garden ( 10 minutes in all) ask you to fill out a form and then discuss how much money you are going to give them :o you where lucky getting a voucher for another cat ............we got nothing except a scowl from the man who came to get Riley .

When I spoke to Louise this morning she was over the moon that we had decided to take Sophie the mum as well as her baby Harley , she was very tearful in fact and then said it was really strange ..............

Last night her friends who owns three Labradors dogs had called her and asked if they could have her , Louise knows these people very well and knows that the dogs love cats and wouldnt harm a hair on Sophie's head , but even though Louise was trying her hardest to re-home her she told her friends that she would call them today and let them know one way or the other .

Anyhow at around 8 am the following morning she called her friends back and told them that she just didnt think Sophie would settle down as she had only ever lived with cats and didnt want her to try and run away because she couldnt settle ...........she told her friend that even though she may not get another offer of rehoming her for sometime she really believed that there was someone out there who was exactly right in every way for Sophie..............20 minutes later I called to tell her that we had all ( mark,Mike and I ) fallen in love with Sophie on the first night we'd seen her and would love her to come and live with us .....................Louise burst into tears and then said 'well I'd better find a home for her little kitten then ' ....................( she was talking about Harley) at this of course I shouted down the phone ....dont you dare , we want them both not just one !

All I can say is that all five of Sophie's little kittens now have loving homes along with herself and this is the very first time Louise has ever been able to home them all in just 10 days from first advertising to all gone ! :P boy is she a happy lady .

I'm going to try and do a link from somewhere or try to upload the only photo we have so far of all five of the kittens ........OMG they are just sooooooooooooooooooo cute and if we could we'd have had the lot !

We will know later this weekend when the cats are coming as they have seen the vet today and Harley had his first vaccination , but Sophie has just only ( 4 days ago ) had her operation so she may have to wait a while until she's 100% fit and strong, OMG we are so excited , silly , crazy, stupid ...............but its like christmas here as we wait for the two new arrivals .

The crazy lot from Plymouth .......Ami, Mark, Mike and soon to be Sophie and Harley .xxxxxxxxx

I have linked this to the centre that Louise runs and the page that Sophie and her babies are on , Sophie is called Jenny in the photo and Harley is the kitten in the middle of the row..........cute or what !

http://www.littlebramblesguineapigrescue.c..._position=44:44