Headaches

Rene S.

Hi. I know that headaches are a big part of this illness, but I can't get mine to stop pounding. Prior to a month and 1/2 ago, I never had them. Now, I feel it in my eyes, the base of my skull, the top and throughout my face. If I even lay on it, I feel this intense burning sensation. It's as if I'm wearing a hat this is way too tight. Does that make any sense?

I can't figure out the trigger. Tylenol doesn't do anything. Could this be stress or migraines? I just started today on Zoloft 12.5 mg. I'm a bit scared. I was on it before prior to my diagnosis and hated the initial two week start up period.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why the headaches are constant? I know I was having b/p issues, but now am on Atenolol. Wondering if that's making my headache worse.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Rene

Hi Rene,

Sorry that you're suffering from bad headaches. I can really relate to that. I also take Paxil, and have for years, but have never been able to get past a dosage of 15 mg. I used to take 10, but with this illness and new stressors, {including having to quite work, finances, etc, etc) I had to move it up to 15 mg. I have a hard time tolerating medications, and usually have to start at a very low dose and build myself up. Perhaps you need to start on a lower dose of Paxil?

I know starting new drugs (Atenolol?) can certainly create some pretty horrible headaches/migraines. Mine also started out of the blue, and I have migraines almost daily. I take Darvocet, and my neurologist tried to start me on Topamax, which you take daily to PREVENT migraines, but I couldn't tolerate it.

I hope you figure this out soon. I know several of us do take painkillers to deal with headaches/migraines. Here's hoping you find some relief, soon!

Cheers,

Jana

Hi,

Sorry you are having a ongoing headache! It sounds like what is called a tension headache due to your description of it is like wearing a hat that is too tight. There are many possible causes to tension headaches. Try and google tension headaches and see what you find that may fit. It might be stress, posture changes, allergies, hormones, meds etc... If it keeps up make sure to talk with a dr about it, so they are aware and can help you determine the best treatment.

It shouldn't of course be the med you just started. Did you just start or stop one around the time the headaches started?

Hope you get relief soon!!!

:mellow:

Hi Rene,

I am sorry to hear about your headaches. I also suffer from daily headaches. I agree that what you described sounds like a tension headache. Did it seem to start in relation to any of your medication changes though? Both the Zoloft and Atenolol can cause headaches as a side effect. You mentioned that Tylenol didn't help. Have you tried Advil? Otherwise, this is what helps me. It is kind of strange, but I put Icy Hot patches on my temples and head. If the pain seems to be coming from tension in your neck and shoulders, BenGay might be worth a try. What about a cool or warm compress on your head while laying down?

Take care. I hope that you can find something that lessens your pain.

~ Broken_Shell :mellow:

Hi Rene,

Sorry that you're suffering from bad headaches. I can really relate to that. I also take Paxil, and have for years, but have never been able to get past a dosage of 15 mg. I used to take 10, but with this illness and new stressors, {including having to quite work, finances, etc, etc) I had to move it up to 15 mg. I have a hard time tolerating medications, and usually have to start at a very low dose and build myself up. Perhaps you need to start on a lower dose of Paxil?

I know starting new drugs (Atenolol?) can certainly create some pretty horrible headaches/migraines. Mine also started out of the blue, and I have migraines almost daily. I take Darvocet, and my neurologist tried to start me on Topamax, which you take daily to PREVENT migraines, but I couldn't tolerate it.

I hope you figure this out soon. I know several of us do take painkillers to deal with headaches/migraines. Here's hoping you find some relief, soon!

Cheers,

Jana

Thanks, Jana. I only started the atenolol this week but it may be a contributing factor. My cardiologist has "dismissed" me because I called him on the floor about having POTs and h/p and he said that's impossible. So, for now, I'm stuck with the atenolol. Just started the zoloft today so it can't be from that. I'm sorry that you suffer as well. And yes, I'm starting on a baby dose of zoloft and it's already making me feel horrid. Just don't know why we can't do meds!

Take care!

Rene

Hi,

Sorry you are having a ongoing headache! It sounds like what is called a tension headache due to your description of it is like wearing a hat that is too tight. There are many possible causes to tension headaches. Try and google tension headaches and see what you find that may fit. It might be stress, posture changes, allergies, hormones, meds etc... If it keeps up make sure to talk with a dr about it, so they are aware and can help you determine the best treatment.

It shouldn't of course be the med you just started. Did you just start or stop one around the time the headaches started?

Hope you get relief soon!!!

Hi. I thought the headaches may have been a result of my pressure being high at times. But there's no rhyme or reason. It may be from sitting at the computer and the way I hold my self up. Tension would be it but I was under more stress before so I don't know why it's manifesting itself now. No, it can't be the meds. I wasn't on anything prior to this week. Hmm, I just wonder if the atenolol is a contributing factor.

Thanks!

Rene

Hi Rene,

I am sorry to hear about your headaches. I also suffer from daily headaches. I agree that what you described sounds like a tension headache. Did it seem to start in relation to any of your medication changes though? Both the Zoloft and Atenolol can cause headaches as a side effect. You mentioned that Tylenol didn't help. Have you tried Advil? Otherwise, this is what helps me. It is kind of strange, but I put Icy Hot patches on my temples and head. If the pain seems to be coming from tension in your neck and shoulders, BenGay might be worth a try. What about a cool or warm compress on your head while laying down?

Take care. I hope that you can find something that lessens your pain.

~ Broken_Shell :mellow:

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for responding - you always do! Not sure what is causing it but you are right, probably tension perhaps aggravated by the atenolol which I started on Sat. I started the zoloft today so that's not a factor = yet! Never considered icy hot patches but perhaps a heating pad? I know my shoulders are all tensed up so that could be playing a part. I can't do Advil. Eats my stomach. I will try this natural rub that I have tonight and see if it helps. My cats will just love the way I smell! LOL. Thank you for all of your suggestions. I'll respond to your PM as soon as I get a chance and get some relief from my head.

You are so sweet. Hope you are doing well.

Hugs

Rene

Hi,

High blood pressure spikes can cause a tension headache as well. (at least I believve that was listed as a potential cause)

Also, I am wondering why you started two meds so close together? Most of us are told to start one med at a time and give it at least close to a month before starting another. This way you know which one is helping or causing side effects. You may want to talk with your dr. about a slower way to start on meds.

Hope this helps!

ajw,

you took the words out of my mouth. i am told to only make one change on my meds at a time, and then wait for at least a couple of weeks before making another change so that you know which drug is really causing side effects. Great advice.

cheers,

jana

Hi. The headaches started before either med was introduced. That's the frustrating part. You're right. The drs should have spaced it further apart. I've been checking b/p and it seems ok.

It's almost like a fire in my head if that makes any sense.

Thank you both for the suggestions!

Rene

Guest elyag
Hi. I know that headaches are a big part of this illness, but I can't get mine to stop pounding. Prior to a month and 1/2 ago, I never had them. Now, I feel it in my eyes, the base of my skull, the top and throughout my face. If I even lay on it, I feel this intense burning sensation. It's as if I'm wearing a hat this is way too tight. Does that make any sense?

I can't figure out the trigger. Tylenol doesn't do anything. Could this be stress or migraines? I just started today on Zoloft 12.5 mg. I'm a bit scared. I was on it before prior to my diagnosis and hated the initial two week start up period.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why the headaches are constant? I know I was having b/p issues, but now am on Atenolol. Wondering if that's making my headache worse.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Rene

I've been getting similar headaches except mine also include neck pain and a weird pullling sensatio in my head and neck... I went to PT last week and it turns out the pain and headaches are caused by my trapezoid muscles which are in the shoulders. Actually the real problem is that the muscles below the traps are weak and putting too much stress on the traps.

You might want to look into going to PT to see if perhaps your trapezoid muslces or muscles in your neck are causing the headaches. The pain can radiate up from the area which is causing it. In the meantime, alternating heat and ice on your neck and shoulders might relive some of your pain.

i'm so sorry for you, try sitting in a comfortable reclining chair or laying down to try meditating your headache away. You must first take some deep breaths and picture your headache as a color in your head. Choose a relaxing color that you love. once you see this color have this color become a liquid and begin to see it start draining down from your head, slowly move it to your neck doing deep breathing all the time. then keep breathing and have the liquid start draining down your arms. Feel that the liquid is getter warm as it moves from your head to each other area of your body. soon move the now liquid headache move to you elbows and feel again the heat of the warm liquid. Take a moment to to remember again to breathe deeply and then push the headache down into your hands your palms will be warm now and if any of you have cold hand this will feel very good right now enjoy this feeling especially if you have raynauds. For the rest of you who need to totally need to set this headache free you will now picture your hands as straws or funnels. you pic which visions works best for you feel you fingers get very warm as you are still breathing. This also feels so relaxing that you may also feel sleepy. Now, Your are about to release your liquid, colored, headache right out of your body. Make sure you are sitting and feel the headache at the very tips of your fingers and see the color of the fluid you as you are now going to shake your hands and watch the now liquid headache leave your body for once and all. Continue to shake till you no longer feel any pain. Be creative and set your inner child free and pretend your are splatter painting and picture your delightful piece of artwork you have just made is now ready for hanging.You should feel very relaxed and headache free now. Maybe, you have even fallen asleep.

I hope this helps. I have helped my children, myself and many others this way.

I don't know if I have mentioned this in another post or not but I have bought a sound machine and one of the sounds is a heartbeat. I caught the tail end of UK TV show where Dr. found that by playing the sound of a normal heartbeat they found that people could get their BP and HR back in control. I 've noticed my headaches have not really been happening since playing that heartbeat all the time. I leave it on for my dog also he's much calmer also. Others come in and feel real relaxed and want to go to sleep, some don't like it. it can't hurt now can it?

Every time a new med is introduced the migraine start. Salt overloading, allergies dry eyes and sensitiveness to everything around me that I have no control of. I take topamax migrinal when they are so bad I can't stand then and can't make them go away. I was told if I use that every time I'll have rebound headaches and I don't want that. I have pain killers for all the other aches and pain and for times when I just have to have a qualitly of life to be with my family to make memories and fake it till I make it.

I started having headaches about a year and a half ago after never having had them before. For a few months I had one all the time when not on medicine, even when I woke up in the middle of the night. I had a head CT that showed no abnormalities, so my doctor just tried various combos of meds until we found something that worked. Now I'm on Elavil, which seems to prevent the headaches. He also prescribed Tramadol to take as needed for the pain, and it works wonders for me. For less severe headaches, I've also found that Excedrin Migraine or Tension Headache works pretty well.

Hope you find something that works for you!! As a side note, my headaches also seem to get worse if I drink any less than half a gallon of water a day.

Thank you both so much. I'm trying not to take any tylenol (can't to aleve, motrin, advil, etc. due to stomach upset).

I was also diagnosed with anemia and wonder if the headaches have anything to do with that?

Rene