Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy

ajw4790

Hi everyone!

I don't remember this coming up before (if it has... whoops!) :rolleyes: . But, I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge or experience with Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy??? I have not seen anything about it being used with patients with dysautonomia etc. But, it has started being used with a variety of diagnoses, including Lyme disease, CP, autism, brain injury etc...

I came up with this question after watching an interview on a daytime talk show with Jenny McCarthy saying that she has had great results using it herself, and that it is being used with children with autism. It is obviously very expensive, and the machines are few and far between. But, I wonder if it would have any positive results in patients such as us, due to increased oxygenation, increased oxygen to brain, decreased HR, arterial vasoconstriction etc... But, this is only when you are in the machine and it is done laying down.

I just did a quick search so far, and have not found a whole lot on the topic. One link I found on the "medical" side of it is below:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1297731-overview

Curious about anyone's knowledge or experience with HBOT...

;)

Great post. I was wondering that b/c I saw Dr. Oz try it on Oprah and he said he felt calmer and more relaxed. I also know my non-POTS friend went skiing in CO and got altitude sickenss and felt better after going to the oxygen room of her hotel. I think it should help us, but maybe it's too expensive and viewed as a spa treatment. On Oprah they said a lot of celebs do it. It would be great if it became more affordable and covered by insurance!

I was recommended by an MD to try HBOT a few weeks ago, but have not yet started because of the cost. However, a friend sent me an inside document from my insurance company on "codes" for which it will pay! I now just have to find a facility that will take the rx. If anyone wants a copy of this document (confidential, of course), to show your MD so that s/he can write you an rx that your insurance company may cover, do not hesitate to contact me. Hey, I'll try anything at this point!!!

Erin

Hi-

I have a friend who has a chamber in her home (she had a bad stroke a couple of years ago with lots of complications. Her family purchased a chamber for her as long term it was going to be less expensive than all the treatments her MD recommended. The chamber is about $20,000 to purchase), and she has let me use it a couple of times when my symptoms are pretty bad. I do notice a difference, and when I spoke to my MD about it, he felt it made a lot of sense. Many of us POTSY's wear compression stockings and/or take medication for vasoconstriction to help with symptoms as well as blood pooling. In the hyperbolic chamber, you're in an enviornment of increased oxygenation and pressure. For me, when I get very symptomatic, I have a lot of brain fog, confusion, slurred/slow speech as well as the normal increase in dizziness. When I've used the chamber during those times, the symptoms tend to clear up somewhat, and remain that way for a day or so afterwards. I don't think it's a cure, and it is very expensive (I'm blessed to have one near by that doesn't cost me anything to use), but it has been helpful to me in coping with symptoms when I get to the non-functional place.

Hope this helps.

Kaye

Hi again!

I continue to think about this topic... SO, if we are not getting enough oxygen to our brains, it makes sense that something like this could be helpful to our symptoms. I realize it wouldn't be a cure all, but if it makes "normal" people feel more energized etc. Why wouldn't HBOT be helpful to us? I wish it was cheaper and easier to find! I think it is interesting that it was also on Oprah... I missed that. And, that Kaye has actually TRIED it and had SUCCESS with it! :)

This has also made me ponder oxygen therapy as a whole and how that may or may not be helpful to us. I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO KNOW WHAT A DR'S. POINT OF VIEW IS ON THIS!!! :)I know that TOO much oxygen is a BAD thing!!! So, it would need to be prescribed and overseen by a drs. supervision. I had always wondered what an oxygen bar would do for our symptoms???

In searching I also found info on how HBOT helps relieve migraines! Here is one link I found.

http://www.elements4health.com/oxygen-ther...-headaches.html

Anyone else have any experience or discussed this topic with a dr? :)

This is a fascinating topic! I was wondering about it myself when I saw Jenny McCarthy on the Ellen Show. She was saying she has a machine at home and lays in it with her autistic son. She also mentioned that Jim Carrey tried it a few times and liked it. She did say the machine cost about $18,000, if I remember correctly. I will have to ask my doctor about this and see what she thinks! When I worked in EMS and would get migraines, I would use oxygen via nasal cannula, and it seemed to help.

• 8 years later...

I have been in a horrendous accident in July 2008. I had literally torqued the spine, ripped connective tissue and shattered more of my nervous system. I have a history of epilepsy and have neurosurgery in 1991 with its own share of issues for years!! I have noticed the connective tissue, nervous system and brain feel weird. I have only done 5 treatments with around the 2 ATA level of using HBOT. It is definitely worth the try but it is best to do the treatments at the beginning 5 days a week for the first two weeks and then maybe two to three time a week afterwards. There are articles that mention different stories of people's experience. Each individuals outcome will be different from one to the other. I live under high anxiety due to me fighting on my own for decades. If you have money then it is worth it. I use other modalities at home as well ie. Vielight for the brain and etc. One modality of treatment does not usually fix all issues. I have done many different types of modalities in chiropractor including Graston Technique to foam roller to vibration machines and shiatsu bed! My brain feels death often, but I am still alive and live alone. I have no family.  God has a reason for me being here still. 

• 3 weeks later...