Cancer Survivor 5 years!!

Sue

I thought this would be a great place to come with this.

My cousin Eric is celebrating his fifth year being cancer free!! Five years ago we didn't think he was going to make it through the year. But with lots of prayers and positive thinking and thoughts he made it through. His family is throwing a party and even though they have requested no gifts I would love to give Eric something special.

My dilemma of course, is I can't think of anything!!! Can anyone give me an idea, I appreciate it

Love Sue

Hi,

Eric is 30 this year!! His mom and dad are awesome. They are throwing a party at a hall!! Having dinner, dj, dancing, the whole nine yards. We are all very excited about this. Always wonderful to have family get together when its a good thing vs the bad. So looking forward to this. Its also our wedding anniversary. and I am feeling half way decent. All is good for the moment :P

Any ideas would be appreciated!!

Sue

sue, if you know anyone who quilts, you get a small one made and have everyone sign it . or have pictures transferred on or something. it would be like a remembrance thing. and quilts can be manly. if you don't know anyone, call a quilt shop and see what you can do. it's like a congrats card that will never wear out. just a thought. morgan

Sue,

Congratulations to your cousin, Eric, on such a wonderful milestone. I think it's terrific that you'd like to give him a gift to commerate the occassion, too! If you can't think of anything he really needs, perhaps making a donation to the local American Cancer Society chapter (or another organization like the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, depending on the type of cancer he survived) in his honor would be a fitting tribute? I am very active with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and I know first hand how much donations (even small ones!) positively impact the lives of cancer patients and their families.

Good luck and enjoy the party!

Best,

RunnerGirl

i love both of those ideas! the quilt is a nice keepsake, and the donations would be so meaningful too....

making that decision might depend on his personality!

also, you are having a big party....so you could ask people to make a donation instead of bringing a gift and you would probably have a significant sum to give...like people who say bring canned goods for the food bank instead of gifts to the party.

i have always wanted to do something like that for a charity...

anyway, another thought, similar to the quilt idea....

when i had my 16th and 18th birthdays i had big parties...yeah, LONG before POTS! i'm glad i squeezed them in...

we got really thick cork board stuff...i am not sure what it is but it is really thick and sturdy...got it at an art supply store.

then, we put pictures of me growing up and put happy birthday on the board. we put the board up at the party on an easel with a permanent ink pen (nowadays you can get those great scrapbooking pens) and had it near the doorway and had everyone sign it. instead of just signing their names, people wrote messages...amazing things....that i will always have. i got them both framed in so that i will have them always....

i know they do that at wedding too sometimes. mine are a little less excitingnow, simply b/c most of the people i knew in high school are not my close friends anymore, although, i have stayed in touch with quite a few folks. still it is a memory of a happy joyful time in my life.

i think this would be perfect for eric b/c the people at the party are people who are in his life for the long haul and having their senitiments all in one place would be so special...

but maybe not manly enough? i don't know. i'm a big sappy, cheeseball...so what can i say?

i like the quilt idea a lot too....

the board kind of gives youthe best of both worlds...the sentimental part for cheap and the donations can still be done too....except the framing can get a bit pricey. honestly, here's thekey....buy a board that is also a standard frame size! otherwise you get in to way expensive frames! and, make sure there is enough space left around the edges so that people's signatures won't be covered up when the frame goes on.

sorry, i am being seriously bossy. oops. as if you are even going to use this idea!

good grief. but if you do...well, now it i all thought out and you don't have to fight the brain fog to figure out the little details! :P

let us know what you decide to do!

emily

The donations are a nice idea.

Also, maybe everyone could put some money togther towards a vacation for him to celebrate his 5 year mark or to go towards some athletic equipment like a bike etc...

Finally, if he's one of those guys who is kind of spiritual and is OK wearing jewelry, Me and Ro has some great bracelets and necklaces for men and women. I've gotten several necklaces from them. The mens stuff is really nice, ususally pendants on a chord or bracelets with a small pendant that all say something spiritual, ususally in Chinese or Sanskrit. You need to buy the stuff online unless you live in New York or Miami.

GayleP

I love all these ideas--they're so creative, and I bet he'd love anything and everything. What a fantastic milestone... and so great that you can all be together for his birthday to celebrate!

I just had another thought--you can name a star for him (there's some official way to do that--I'd have to do an internet search, b/c at the moment I can't remember the name of the organization that handles such things... maybe someone else does?) or even plant a tree here or abroad in his name. (I know that sounds like something that's done in someone's memory, but not necessarily so--I think it's a beautiful living tribute to a person, and it's a gift that would make me especially happy--the tree, in particular, since nature is so important to me.)

PS happy anniversary--so glad to hear that you're feeling somewhat better! I know you've had a rough go these past months...

Best,

merrill

WOW awesome ideas!! I can always count on you guys!! Seeing some of my family this afternoon. My sisters like the star idea, myself I can't decide. But the five of us are going in together so we shall see.

Thanks Merrill for the thumbs up. This year has been majorly sh--y, but I am getting around much better. <_<

Thanks

Sue