Looks Like I Have To Do A Big Move Soon - Think I Need A Beta Blocker

It's looking like I may be embarking on a cross-country move soon (well, around 2000 miles).

I'll be driving my car with my sister and cat, my spouse his car.

I have the normal POTS issues (but not fainting, thank goodness). My worst symptoms are fast heart rate which often leads to fatigue, needing to stay hydrated, having to hit the bathroom a lot, some muscle pain, and general crappy feelings sometimes.

What I need to control for this trip is my hydration (which I'll just have to drink a lot of G2 and salt) and my heart rate. My heart rate has been out of control lately.

I used to have asthma, but it's been under control for a few years. Do you have any advice on a Beta Blocker I should try? I know one was talked about on here recently but I can't find it. Sometimes my rate averages 100/day and it's horrible. Makes me so tired and can't be healthy. I need to see my EP this week to get on something and would like some experiences you've had.

What side effects should I worry about with a Beta Blocker? I'm probably moving about 3 weeks out so need to start one to make sure I'm somewhat accustomed to it before the trip.

I do get allergies/random hives but my allergist is ok with the Beta Blocker as I tested negative on food allergy tests...and take Zyrtec/Zantac for the hives.

Life throw a curve ball sometime and I'm trying to stay calm.

Sorry to hear that you're going to have to climb this mountain! My husband and I were recently in a similar position, although not moving as far, we ended up not moving bc I just couldn't do it. As for the beta blockers I don't have much advice bc they seem to not help me out. Is there anyway you could fly to your destination? From my experience flying and driving cross country, flying is SO Much better for me. Not true for everyone I know, but for me I can handle the symptoms better when it's a short amount of time like that. Just a thought. I will be praying for you. Do you mind me asking where you're moving to? Maybe the climate will be better there!!!! I live in Ks, probably the WORST climate for POTS people! Take care! :rolleyes:

Well as you know some beta blockers can provoke asthma so somebody here can help you with that hopefully.

from a cat mommy:

Make sure you have a cat carrier that you can put a backseat belt around..good sturdy one. A bowl for water and a portable litter box for the car. (They do make such things)

Also I would try a type of BBlocker that you need to take multiple times a day. THAT WAY if it should cause bronchial problems it will wear off in 6 hrs as opposed to the once a day BB. Even folks who don't have asthma often develop a cough on beta blockers. It happened to a friend of mine last year who could not shake a nagging cough. First thing I asked was "has your doc put you on a beta blocker lately?" sure enough, so he switched. Never had asthma in his life.

Best to you with your move. and getting specifics on BB to take.

:rolleyes:

Cat Lady,

I know you have allergy/asthma issues and have wondered about a mast cell issue. All of these are red flags when it comes to using a beta blocker. When my MCAD was out of control, I experienced severe inexplicable tachycardia (not associated with postural changes.) My PCP prescribed atenolol (a BB) and it made things MUCH worse. I had to use my epi-pen for the first time and the BB prevented it from working as effectively as it should have. I needed a second shot at the ER.

Like you, I couldn't handle the tachy and we settled on a calcium channel blocker (as opposed to a BB) called verapamil. I think it helped and didn't seem to exacerbate the allergy stuff.

I'll keep you in my thoughts as you conquer this new challenge. Best of luck to you!

Julie

Kansasgirl: Can't fly because of our cat and cars and some personal items we want to drive...it'll be a pretty trip, but exhausting!

We're going to San Francisco so I hear the stable temperatures might be a LOT better for me. I've lived in the midwest all my life and 80 and humid one day and 50 and cold the next, freezing winters, etc. are very hard on me. KS and FL are hard on POTS, I think! :rolleyes:

Sophia3: I'm online looking for my kitty...I see one you can strap in online and might get that. He does like to get out and sit on my lap but that's not the most safe, I know! He has a portable litter (he's travelled on small trips...5-10 hours) and is ok with it. It's hard to get him to drink water, though. He always wants juice or milk in the car!

Good idea on the multiple BB. I'll bring that up to my EP.

Mack's Mom: I wonder about the MCAD stuff and myself too. But even my allergist agrees it's hard to deal with as my hives are so random, the only time I get them consistently is after a shower for a short time.

Did your BB make things worse right away? I want to try one a good full week before we go on the road, at least. I just want to know within a few days if it's safe!

What do Calcium Channel Blockers do/ I've not heard of them.

Thank you everyone. I'm excited and nervous. I know the new climate will be much better for me...it's the week getting there that is gonna hurt!

I don't technically have asthma, but am allergic to everything--who knows, maybe some mast cell. My doc wanted me to try a tiny dose of propranolol and I couldn't inhale well on it. So I probably have some latent asthma. I'm on florinef and midodrine. I do take a tiny dose of a calcium channel blocker, but not for tachy-- for vasospasm. It's norvasc. But it's one that doesn't affect rate, so doubt it would help you.

Hi,

I currently take a small dose of Metoprolol and am pleased with the results. Metoprolol is a generic beta blocker (BB) that is supposed to be taken 2 times a day. My doctor and I decided to use a lower dose and take it 3 times a day. So I take 12.5 mg 3xs a day instead of 25 mg 2xs a day like they originally wanted me to take. It has really helped with my heart rate and shortness of breath that I get when my heart is too fast. I seem to tolerate small doses only of meds so I always start out taking the smallest dose possible.

I had been on Propanolol (a BB) about 20 years ago for about 2 years and then Atenolol (another BB) for about the last 20 years. I LOVED the Atenolol and am going to try to get my doctor to let me try it again. I only took 1/4 of a 25 mg pill once a day and it worked wonders. My doctor had me stop it about 9 months ago because we thought I was having an inner ear reaction to it, but I am still having the inner ear problems so it wasn't the Atenolol. I tried Dialtiazem (which is a calcium channel blocker {CCB}) about 8 months ago and got severe neck pain, my lower legs swelled and I noticed blood pooling for the first time while I was taking it. This was before my POTS diagnosis. My cardiologist actually said that CCB are not good for people with POTS and I agree. I felt horrible on it. I definately won't try any other calcium channel blockers as I also had a reaction to one about 20 years ago in between taking the Propanolol and the Atenolol.

I do think that the Metoprolol that I am currently taking is causing the undiagnosed chest pain that I have. This chest pain started within 36 hours of my first dose of Metoprolol. My cardiologist says I can pick what I want to put up with -the chest pain or the rapid heart rate. I picked getting rid of the rapid heart rate so I put up with the chest pain.

Everyone's body is different so you will have to use your and your doctor's judgement on this issue. I know that BB's can cause problems in people with asthma. Just check out your risks for taking it with both your doctor and pharmacist.

Personally I find that I am much more miserable without my beta blocker.

Hope you find a good medicine that works well for you and that your move is enjoyable.

Babette

Looks like I'm starting Inderal - 20mg - 3 times a day. If it's too much or too little we can adjust, the doctor says (I wear a Polar Heart Monitor usually).

He said I'd know almost right away if it give me any type of severe reaction.

Are there any other side effects to watch for? How would I know if it's making my allergies work (this coming from someone who gets stress hives so it's so hard to tell!).

I'll give it a go and see where I'm out when I see him in about 10 days as long as I have no severe reaction. I did read you have to 'wean off it' or you can have heart attack risk? Is this accurate? Or is that larger doses?

Cat_Lady,

On small doses, I don't think you have to taper. I take 20mg once daily and skip the days I get my allergy shots as per my doctors' (PCP, allergist and neuro) instructions. IF you get a bad allergic reaction, just remember that the epi-pen will not be as effective, it may take two or more to stop anaphylaxis. Start low, you can always taper up.

I do get rebound tachycardia the morning after my shots, before my next dose (remember I only take it once a day.)

Cat_Lady,

On small doses, I don't think you have to taper. I take 20mg once daily and skip the days I get my allergy shots as per my doctors' (PCP, allergist and neuro) instructions. IF you get a bad allergic reaction, just remember that the epi-pen will not be as effective, it may take two or more to stop anaphylaxis. Start low, you can always taper up.

I do get rebound tachycardia the morning after my shots, before my next dose (remember I only take it once a day.)

Good to know. I can always take it twice on the first day instead of three times!

I've never had to use an Epi, but have one just in case. The bright spot is my allergist thinks my hives are more autoimmune (I hope) and I did not test positive to any foods (the 'dangerous allergies'). Pollen is another story. It cost me $400 out of pocket for that food test, but I guess more peace of mind is worth it.

Cat_Lady,

Good to know. I can always take it twice on the first day instead of three times!

I've never had to use an Epi, but have one just in case. The bright spot is my allergist thinks my hives are more autoimmune (I hope) and I did not test positive to any foods (the 'dangerous allergies'). Pollen is another story. It cost me $400 out of pocket for that food test, but I guess more peace of mind is worth it.

I'd just try one dose first. First thing in the morning. You will know within 2 hours if it is working. Remember, it will deplete ALL your natural melatonin, so it may make it hard to sleep. You might want to supplement with a small dose (1.5 mg) of Melatonin in the evening---get this cleared by your doc FIRST!