Topical Progesterone?

mkoven

I tried it for a while. Had some cramping from it. I found I couldn't remember to rub it in at the same time everyday and it really didn't help my periods/cramps.

NuvaRing works great for me, as it seems to have a more local effect. I've also been told that inserting BCPs can minimized side effects, but I'm scared to try that!

Sara

I'm supposed to stay away from estrogens with my funky migraines. Since I'm doing this more for symptom relief than for bc, this seemed like a very conservative option. My periods themselves aren't that bad (sorry if too much info) , it's just how lousy I feel from ovulation on. It seems like the whole area of hormones, esp. the whole bioidentical controversy, is one where opinions are all over the map, and there aren't a lot of data. It was actually my new eds geneticist who recommended trying this.

The trick is when I look on line, I just keep bumping into controversy, without a lot of data. It seems like the recent stuff from the women's health initiative was done with "synthetic" estrogens/progestins. But then the more mainstream response is that it doesn't matter the source of the hormones--even if it's your own body. And the bioidentical folks claim that "natural" hormones have to be safe. I don't know how to evaluate the controversy, and am generally reluctant to try new meds. But if the cream helped even a little with some of my many hormonal symptoms, and if it's safe...

Hi,

I have tried a number of progesterones, one of which was natural progesterone cream (I had a bio-identical compounded prescription). I thought that I would respond well to it, but after a couple of months of use I developed a couple problems that have since resolved since I stopped using the cream - unilateral breast swelling and pain (so severe that the doctor ordered a mammogram, ultrasound, and mri which showed fibrocystic changes - I never had a problem before using the cream), increased vascular spasms in my feet (suddenly painful and cold at night that happened nightly the days I used the cream). I hope that you have a better experience with the cream if you try it. Have you had an endocrine blood work-up to check the levels of your hormones throughout your cycle? Maybe that would help give you some direction if you are unsure what to do.

~ Broken_Shell

• 1 month later...
I'm supposed to stay away from estrogens with my funky migraines. Since I'm doing this more for symptom relief than for bc, this seemed like a very conservative option. My periods themselves aren't that bad (sorry if too much info) , it's just how lousy I feel from ovulation on. It seems like the whole area of hormones, esp. the whole bioidentical controversy, is one where opinions are all over the map, and there aren't a lot of data. It was actually my new eds geneticist who recommended trying this.

The trick is when I look on line, I just keep bumping into controversy, without a lot of data. It seems like the recent stuff from the women's health initiative was done with "synthetic" estrogens/progestins. But then the more mainstream response is that it doesn't matter the source of the hormones--even if it's your own body. And the bioidentical folks claim that "natural" hormones have to be safe. I don't know how to evaluate the controversy, and am generally reluctant to try new meds. But if the cream helped even a little with some of my many hormonal symptoms, and if it's safe...

Hi. Sorry to chime in so late, but I've been reading your postings and I can tell you that there is a bio-indentical vaginal progesterone called Prochieve which is despensed at the pharmacy with a prescription from your gyno. I was on it for quite so time. It used to go by the name Crinone. It comes in 4% and 8% strengths. The 8% being used for pregnant women to maintain their pregnancies, the 4% to be used by pre/menopausal women as part of the HT regimen. Simple to use, prefilled applicators and it's to be used every other night. Not messy and stays in place.

Hope this helps.

Rene