Pulse In Ear

mancmm19

Okay, so after my mother's daily nagging about exercising (who wants to exercise when they've just worked 9 hours and feel terrible?) I finally gave it a go this weekend. I walked/jogged on the treadmill for 15 minutes on Saturday (5 jogging and 10 brisk walking) which was pretty embarrassing considering I used to do 45 minutes jogging! My heart was SLAMMING for about 20 minutes after than and I just layed in bed so it could get back under control. After resting for an hour and a half, I was able to resume some errands.

Following the "usual" routine, I woke up Sunday feeling exhausted and miserable. I guess it's a Sunday thing after the exertion on Saturday's. I got very sick while walking around a department store and needed to go home and lay down. After resting for about 3 hours, I was still tired and decided to head up to bed. I got up from the couch slowly, walked over to the stairs, and went up to my room. However, when I got to my silent room, all I could heart was my heartbeat in my ears. My pulse was beating pretty fast and strong, but it was making this loud "wooshing" sound in my eardrums. I layed down and it eventually subsided, so I assume it was related to walking up the stairs after previously resting for a while. Has anyone else ever experienced this pulsing heartbeat in their ears and is it dangerous?

Yes, this happens to me too, with some regularity. I can hear my pulse "whooshing" in my ear when I go up a flight of stairs, or if I am really pushing myself a little too hard with exercise and then stop.

I always have assumed this is caused by high blood pressure or high heart rate, since it only happens when my heart is pounding.

I don't know if it's dangerous or not, but maybe if your 15 minutes of jog/brisk walk didn't feel good you should start slower. When I got back into exercise after POTS I started with 15 minutes of slow walking, and honestly even now I can walk along at a decent pace for about three miles sometimes, but I would never be able to jog and recover from it afterward. Maybe you need to rethink what counts as "exercise" - you want to be pushing your body a little bit, but not so much that it's hard to recover from it.

I get this sometimes as well. It isn't dangerous by itself, but it sounds like your exercise aggravated your symptoms. I would start off much more slowly - like walking or doing something seated or lying down. Pilates is good -- you can also read through old posts on exercise.

This used to happen to me anytime I stood up. Literally, I could hear nothing else. Very loud. But as the disease decreased, this has happened less and less. Now it only really comes when I am dehydrated.

Maybe you became dehydrated during your exercise the day before??

I think we need a lot of extra fluids when exercising...like, I used to be an athlete (before POTS), and I never needed as much water as I do now with very light exercise and no sweating....wierd but true.

Try some gatorade or V8 juice and see if it goes away with fluids.