Study Suggest Tumeric / Curcumin Helps Alzheimers

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?D...ubmed_RVDocSuml

Curcumin labels amyloid pathology in vivo, disrupts existing plaques, and partially restores distorted neurites in an Alzheimer mouse model.Garcia-Alloza M, Borrelli LA, Rozkalne A, Hyman BT, Bacskai BJ.

Department of Neurology/Alzheimer's Disease Research Laboratory, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, Massachusetts 02129, USA.Alzheimer's disease (AD) is characterized by senile plaques and neurodegeneration although the neurotoxic mechanisms have not been completely elucidated. It is clear that both oxidative stress and inflammation play an important role in the illness. The compound curcumin, with a broad spectrum of anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-fibrilogenic activities may represent a promising approach for preventing or treating AD. Curcumin is a small fluorescent compound that binds to amyloid deposits. In the present work we used in vivo multiphoton microscopy (MPM) to demonstrate that curcumin crosses the blood-brain barrier and labels senile plaques and cerebrovascular amyloid angiopathy (CAA) in APPswe/PS1dE9 mice. Moreover, systemic treatment of mice with curcumin for 7 days clears and reduces existing plaques, as monitored with longitudinal imaging, suggesting a potent disaggregation effect. Curcumin also led to a limited, but significant reversal of structural changes in dystrophic dendrites, including abnormal curvature and dystrophy size. Together, these data suggest that curcumin reverses existing amyloid pathology and associated neurotoxicity in a mouse model of AD. This approach could lead to more effective clinical therapies for the prevention of oxidative stress, inflammation and neurotoxicity associated with AD.

PMID: 17472706 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

One more reason to use Tumeric / curcumin. OR at least feed it to a mouse ... :(

I've been reading on this topic also. I don't think it's a cure for anything, but at least it's only typically used as a food herb, so not like some of the odd stuff we've seen pop up all over. I don't call anything a cure, so I guess I'm a cynic, but I learned long ago not to get my hopes up too much. morgan

I've been reading on this topic also. I don't think it's a cure for anything, but at least it's only typically used as a food herb, so not like some of the odd stuff we've seen pop up all over. I don't call anything a cure, so I guess I'm a cynic, but I learned long ago not to get my hopes up too much. morgan

I hear ya .. it seems like the supplement industry is on a roll announcing some new study every day. :( So, it's hard to know what to try. I have added tumeric to more of my food lately, but that's as far as I've gotten. Oh and I finally got some nutritional supplements that I'm digesting ok. I figure that can't hurt ...

Well then my heart should be perfect!

AND you should never be tired! :(

Curcumin, a polyphenolic antioxidant, attenuates chronic fatigue syndrome in murine water immersion stress model

Purchase the full-text article

References and further reading may be available for this article. To view references and further reading you must purchase this article.

Amit Guptaa, Garima Vija, Sameer Sharmaa, Naveen Tirkeya, Praveen Rishib and Kanwaljit Chopraa, Corresponding Author Contact Information, E-mail The Corresponding Author, E-mail The Corresponding Author

aPharmacology Division, University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Panjab University, Chandigarh 160014, India

bDepartment of Microbiology, Panjab University, Chandigarh 160014, India

Received 19 December 2007;

revised 3 April 2008;

accepted 25 April 2008.

Available online 17 June 2008.

Abstract

Chronic fatigue syndrome, infection and oxidative stress are interrelated in epidemiological case studies. However, data demonstrating scientific validation of epidemiological claims regarding effectiveness of nutritional supplements for chronic fatigue syndrome are lacking. This study is designed to evaluate the effect of natural polyphenol, curcumin, in a mouse model of immunologically induced fatigue, where purified lipopolysaccharide (LPS) and Brucella abortus (BA) antigens were used as immunogens. The assessment of chronic fatigue syndrome was based on chronic water-immersion stress test for 10 min daily for 19 days and the immobility time was taken as the marker of fatigue. Mice challenged with LPS or BA for 19 days showed significant increase in the immobility time and hyperalgesia on day 19, as well as marked increase in serum tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-α) levels. Concurrent treatment with curcumin resulted in significantly decreased immobility time as well as hyperalgesia. There was significant attenuation of oxidative stress as well as TNF-α levels. These findings strongly suggest that during immunological activation, there is significant increase in oxidative stress and curcumin can be a valuable option in the treatment of chronic fatigue syndrome.

Oops, forgot to mention a reduced risk of cancer :(

Cancer Risk and Diet in India

Sinha R, Anderson DE, McDonald SS, Greenwald P

Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, 6120 Executive Boulevard, Executive Plaza South, Room 3046, Bethesda, Maryland, 20892-7273.

Correspondence Address:

Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, 6120 Executive Boulevard, Executive Plaza South, Room 3046, Bethesda, Maryland, 20892-7273.

sinhar@nih.gov

:: Abstract

India is a developing country with one of the most diverse populations and diets in the world. Cancer rates in India are lower than those seen in Western countries, but are rising with increasing migration of rural population to the cities, increase in life expectancy and changes in lifestyles. In India, rates for oral and oesophageal cancers are some of the highest in the world. In contrast, the rates for colorectal, prostate, and lung cancers are one of the lowest. Studies of Indian immigrants in Western societies indicate that rates of cancer and other chronic diseases, such as coronary heart disease and diabetes, increase dramatically after a generation in the adopted country. Change of diet is among the factors that may be responsible for the changing disease rates. Diet in India encompasses diversity unknown to most other countries, with many dietary patterns emanating from cultural and religious teachings that have existed for thousands of years. Very little is known, however, about the role of the Indian diet in causation of cancer or its role, if any, in prevention of cancer, although more attention is being focused on certain aspects of the Indian diet, such as vegetarianism, spices, and food additives. Of particular interest for cancer prevention is the role of turmeric (curcumin), an ingredient in common Indian curry spice. Researchers also have investigated cumin, chilies, kalakhar, Amrita Bindu, and various plant seeds for their apparent cancer preventive properties. Few prospective studies, however, have been conducted to investigate the role of Indian diet and its various components in prevention of cancer. From a public health perspective, there is an increasing need to develop cancer prevention programs responsive to the unique diets and cultural practices of the people of India.

Boy those mice are really getting healthy ... :(

I wonder if it's the Indian diet as opposed to the curcumin in India. Maybe not .. from the looks of it, it would make me sicker. I can't handle all those carbs. Maybe if someone has been eating that way their whole lives they can though. Or maybe it's a genetic thing ....

http://www.indianchild.com/vegeterianism_in_india.htm

Rural Indian food in India is often vegetarian. Food items like roots, cereals, pulses, wheat, rice, form the main portion of the diets. Many Indians, being farmers, find it cost-economical to stick to a vegeterian diet.

BTW, I was getting GERD from the curcumin so I backed off of it for a few days ... I seem to be ok now ...

I purchased a system for making my own capsules, for about 30$ I got 250 empty capsules, a tray that holds them while you fill them, then a tamper to push the powder into the capsule shells, and then you close 'em up. I found two different systems, both about equal in price...I ended up getting Cap-M-Quick (or something to that effect). I'll let you know how it works out. Also, I found several places where I can get vegetarian empty gel caps for pretty cheap, in packs of 1000. I decided not to get that big a pack to start in case I don't like doing it myself--then I can just sell my set used on eBay! :(

Nina

Cool, Nina- I'm going to keep that in mind. Ironically, I seem to be having an allergic reaction to the turmeric I bought from GNC for a whopping $21. (It has fillers.) Pure turmeric would be much better. I'm going to wait for things to settle down and try the plain spice for $3.99 (in water.) If I tolerate it without an alergic reaction, I will be very interested in your system.

I love the anti-fatigue effect of turmeric; but I am thrilled with all of the side benefits. I have my fingers and toes crossed I can handle it :)

Julie

I have so much tumeric that came in the one pack I bought for 3.49 that I could start a business making capsules of the stuff!! I bag had over a pound of ground tumeric...I poured about 1/4 of it into a glass storage container, but I have a huge bag left and haven't made much of a dent in my glass container either...

Nina

Okay you all got me sold on this one. Of course I asked my doctor if it was okay for me to try it and she said it would be fine. So I went to the local health food store and bought a bottle today 60 pills for $15.00 plus they put me on their email list for coupons info etc... I love this place, I just wish i was more educated on all the herbs etc that are good for ya. I'd have a field day!!! LOL I took one with my lunch..so far so good.