Autonomic Fevers

Rachel

Do any of you get autonomic fevers? I get fevers ocassionally that my doctor believes are just autonomic fevers. They aren't due to an illness or infection, they just happen because my ANS is messed up. I hadn't found much rhyme or reason to them, but recently I think they happen more when I've pushed myself too far. Do any of you who have autonomic fevers find that this is the case?

Last week I went outside in the snow around our apartment. I love playing in the snow (I just love playing in general!), and had fun outside with my family and our neighbors. For the most part I just sat in the snow and talked with my friends. I didn't walk much at all. My husband drove me to the top of the hill so that I could sled down. All together I only walked about 20 yards (with help). I crawled some in the snow, too, beause that is easier than walking. It was about 25 yards all together. I pushed myself to the max. I absolutely could not have crawled another 10 feet. I was so enjoying being outside that I pushed myself to my limit. I thought I could just rest later and be okay.

That evening I started getting very achy all over, kind of like a flu ache, only worse. The only thing that didn't hurt was my lips. I was very chilled and a fever came on suddenly. I was in pain and had a fever for about 3 or 4 hours. I was wiped out and stayed in bed for the evening and night.

My theory is that I just pushed it way too hard, and I paid for it later with an autonomic fever. Does this sound plausible?

Rachel

Frequent, low-grade fevers were one of the first symptoms I noticed when I started having difficulty with POTS, and I still get them. No one has proven conclusively that they're from autonomic dysfunction but I personally feel very certain that they are.

For me, they always come when I push myself too much, and go away when I finally get rested up. They are often in the evenings although I have had them at other times. My normal body temp is about 95.6-97.9, and these fevers are usually around 99-100.5. A few times they've been higher, but typically they're not very high (although my body temp isn't very high to start with, so maybe that's why).

Like you, they're not indicative of infection. I actually find them useful, because they let me know when I've really pushed it too much and they get me to slow down immediately. Kind of like a warning. And, they are a concrete thing too, so I can show my family the thermometer and say "see, I really do need to stay in bed!" and then they leave me alone. ;)

Interesting. I've sometimes gotten these if I"ve pushed too hard. When I was younger, prediagnosis, if I went out for an all-day bike-ride with my spouse, he would just be tired, I would feel like I actually had the flu-- but was okay the next morning. I just assumed at the time I'd gotten too much sun-- but I would often get fluish if I pushed too hard. and wondered why i was the only one.

My theory is that I just pushed it way too hard, and I paid for it later with an autonomic fever. Does this sound plausible?

Rachel

Sure, sounds plausible.

It does not take much at all for me to get a fever. I can get them w/ allergies, increased activity and so on. For a while there was no known reason for my fevers and they'd reach as high as 105 w/o and preceding symptoms. The fevers thmeselves would just make me feel a little jittery and lightheaded. Back then I'd seen all sorts of docs including infection control, but I did not have a DX of dys so they DXed it as FUO (fever of unknown origin).

Sara definitely gets low grade fevers if she pushes too hard. Most any over-exertion can bring on this problem. After an outing to the doctor, or to have a meal at our house, she will typically be in bed for at least 2 days. Not always with a fever and exhaustion, but very often its both. We have wondered for a long time if it was dysautonomia related, and had decided it was just a while back.

Hugs to all---

Susan :)

Yeah - I get them. I often feel overheated - I'm getting that feeling that right now actually - that's why I'm up. They pass VERY quickly for me, within a matter of hours. Usually its when I'm in a stuffy room or when the lighting is bothering me, or when I havent eaten or have just done something strenuous. Usually there is some sort of trigger, but sometimes there just isn't. It's a real pain.

its interesting your doctor suggested they are of ANS origin rather than being a response to elevated levels of either an infective agent, an inflamatory agent or an autoimmune process.

Dr.Julien Stewart - a doctor who my money is on to find better treatments for POTS - states that Dysautonomia is almost a misnomer. Its not really a diagnosis - its basically just saying that something is wrong with your autonomic nervous system. It doesnt meant that that this the cause of your condition or POTS.

Most of the research isnt really suggesting that there is a multifactoral problem with POTS patient's ANS - it seems to be more a problem of circulation caused by inappropriate balances of certain vasoactive chemical messangers and partial denervation of the leg nerves in patients with leg pooling.

Do you experience an exacerbation of POTS symptoms following these fevers?

Thanks for sharing, everyone. It's good to know that I'm not alone.

Ramakentesh, no, my symptoms don't get worse after the fevers. The fevers seem to come because I have pushed myself too hard, thus exacerbating my symptoms. My body makes me stop! After resting for a few hours the aches, pain, fever go away. After resting for a day or two my fatigue level gets back to baseline.

Rachel

I just was told an anecdote yesterday by my "normal" (no POTS) dentist. He said that on two occasions when he had been out in the cold for extended periods, that same night he would run a low-grade fever and feel it. His conclusion was that his body had increased its metabolism in response to the cold. Kind of like your body's way of preparing to brave the cold temperatures (should you decide to be out again the next day). I have no idea, I'm just relating an anecdote.

I, too, can feel sickly if I've done too much.

rachel i'm sorry that you ended up with a fever and aches after fun time with your family! :)

I often will run fevers -anywhere between 101.-101.5.. at will no infections generally.. I've found that if i do not get enough sleep or if i over do.. or simply because my body wants to...i will run a fever... sometimes if I'm about to go into bad adrenaline surges i will also get fevers.

dont know why..just do!

HUgs~

the reason i asked was that people with Mast Cell activiation might describe symptoms that are similar and generally experience a worsening of POTS symptoms after such an episode.

I think I can relate more to what your describing - I get migraine activity that generally makes me feel weak, tired, very fatigued and achy for a day or two afterwards.

Couple that with my AS and its hard for me to know which is causing which :rolleyes:

When I first started my journey to discovering POTS, I woke up one morning to get ready to go to work, and I just felt awful. Of course, I pushed myself to go anyway, but didn't make it to work. I stopped at my moms, and later that day she took me to the doctor.

I had a fever of 103 and my pulse was 185. They sent me to the hospital.

At the hospital, they could find no sign of infection.

Now, if I am too active, I get these periods of feeling feverish/hot flashy. They usually only last a couple hours. I take my temp., and it's usually only up a few tenths of a degree past normal, so no real fever, really.

I've never had a fever like I did last February, but then again, I haven't been working since then, so my activity has been greatly reduced.

Amber