Lack Of Perfect Control Over One's Body

mkoven

Not sure why I'm moved to write about this. Like many people, I've had an odd fascination with the tv show "biggest loser," and I think I understand why it's so appealing. The show makes it seem that with enough hard work, anyone can "get healthy" (and beautiful and rich and etc.) I'm not saying that people shouldn't do what they can to improve their situations, but the show makes it seem like what so many people want to believe--that will and hard work are enough. I guess living with a chronic set of conditions whose course I can't really control makes it seem a little ridiculous. Maybe the parallels between overweight and chronic illness are not perfect, but you see my point. Can you imagine if the show were about bootcamp to make us all work our tails off to "just do it?" and not have ans issues anymore? I think the show must be a success because it feeds into some shared fantasy of control over our bodies that is a fantasy at best. And it makes it hard for others to appreciate that will and hard work aren't always enough. We don't always control our bodies. Okay, rant over. (and I really wonder how the people on the show manage afterwards--like how many are diagnosable with eating disorders.)

Haven?t seen these shows, but aware of them. Absolutely I agree re: their appeal. We Americans want and expect fixes for everything. So, our culture is quick to blame people who don?t fix themselves, rather than to try to understand where the person is. We have a hard time accepting chronic/untreatable illness.

Unfortunately, as you say, a reality show depicting a patient with chronic disease would negate the premise that everything is fixable. Sadly way too complex for the average TV viewer.

hi..

u def put words on my thougths (not sure about the spelling).. And itd not only ins usa, its here in europe too... belive u me... very enoying.. Yes one can do alot , and many thing is possible, but not all.. there is many things that is what it is, u cant change it, only our attitude towards it..

It has taken me many yrs to realise it, but too many in my surrandings dont gett it.. change is difficult , and sometimes not possible.. Its like the aa saying, somting about change the things one can for the better, but acsept the tings one cant cange, and realise it... not my cleares brain day sorry folks...

I'm from eastern Europe, though I've lived in western Europe, as well. This kind of attitude isn't unique to the States, unfortunately - if anything, it's worse where I come from. I found it goes over better when I explain everything in 'objective' or removed terms, instead of talking about symptom severity (e.g. "this is what my body does when I stand," instead of "this is how badly I feel when I stand").

I agree ... it's the mentality we see too often that if we just "tried harder" we'd be all better.

On the other hand, even if the contestants are successful in keeping the weight off after the show (or not) the question I have is does this make them suffer any less? I find that most people have something that they think is the root of their suffering. "If only I could loose weight ...", "If only I had more money ...", "If only I could find the perfect partner ..." The belief is of course that once they obtain this thing that all of their problems would be solved. What I see more often than not, is that people find a new problem that becomes the focus of their suffering.

I'm not saying by any means that life without POTS would not be infinitely easier than it is for us now ... just that solving one thing (any one thing) doesn't tend to make you a happier, more joy filled human being. The joy and happy part we can still have now (albeit in tinier moments with much lower expectations.) But we don't need a reality show or professional trainers to get us there.

This is something that I wrestled with for sooooo long. I know every doctor has found this hard to believe, but I have always wanted to be able to run. Nothing special, just jog for more than 50 meters without feeling like I was about to die. I tried so hard in school. I did great in martial arts. I worked out all the time. When I was in my mid twenties, I decided that I would "get into shape" so I could go jogging with my husband. I worked out on a treadmill 6 days a week and weights 4 days a week, but I could never bring my HR down. I could walk at the steepest incline for 45 minutes, but never increase my speed, even at no incline. The faster I went, the faster my heart went and the quicker I saw spots dancing in front of my eyes. No matter how hard I trained, or how, my body will not adjust or condition itself to running.

Ah well, I'm no musician either.

This is just too funny that you wrote this because I love this show and i often think the same thing. I wish there was a health show to make all of the problems that we have just go away. I would work my tail off to get rid of these problems. I just am glad that someone thinks like me. ;)