Q For Females

gertie

I have had dysautonomia for many years. One of the results of my dys is Interstitial Cystitis & IBS. My question is a little embarrassing. With IC there is urinary frequency & bladder pain but this summer I have had mild IC but have had vaginal burning/stinging & occ anal burning. It gets worse at night. I am not sexually active at this time so I am not irritated. It feels like nerve innings stinging.

I have an app't for a physical this week which I dread. I hate trying to explain this to a male dr that does not understand allergies or dys. Does anyone have these type symptoms with dys? I have stopped my B vit's & vit C hoping that is the cause. Thanks.

Alicia,

I suffered with IC for years in my mid to late 20's. It was awful. I had lots of pelvic pain, lots of urgency, but had a hard time going. Does it sting and burn only when you try to urinate? You could have a real bladder infection on top of the IC or a yeast infection. You probably should check it out with a doc. If the burning and stinging is present at times other than when you are trying to urinate, try a local cream like vagisil to lubricate and numb the area and vaseline for your anus. Those tissues are very sensitive and dry skin or chaffing could aggravate things.

I'm in remission now with the IC, so hang in there. Chances are that with time, things will improve with you, too.

Oh, one last thing, I also had awful anal itching when I tried Nexium. i checked and it was a rare side effect. Talk about jumping out of my skin!!!! Make sure it isn't a side effect of a med or some weird allergy. If benadryl helps...

Julie

How is your doc treating the IC? My bout was over 20 years ago. I recall that I was always on antibiotics or sulfa drugs, drank oodles of cranberry juice (didn't seem to help), and prayed alot. It was very miserable so I can comiserate.

Look into candidiasis as a possible cause of your new symptoms. Sometimes when you're on long term antibiotic therapy, the good bacteria get overtaken by the bad and candidiasis can result. It could explain the new itching and burning you're experiencing. I'm currently on long term antibiotic therapy and take an OTC probiotic called Culturelle to prevent candidiasis. A super healthy diet,no sugar, nothing white, lean protein and vegs also helps.

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. IC is awful.

Hugs-

Julie

I hate the urination frequency/urge with POTS. I'd get checked for a bladder infection, just in case, with the stinging.

But last year (before I was diagnosed) my poor PCP sent me to a urologist and here I am...this young women he can't find a thing wrong with (even had a CT Scan of the bladder). I can't tell you how relieved I was to find out it was POTS in the end...

Anyway, at least you know the frequency/urge is POTS. But if you get a stinging, it's better to get a simple test for an infection as you don't want it to progress to the Kidney's if it is an infection.

Good luck!

Alicia--Sara was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis at the age of 2. Since then shes been plagued with the usual symptoms associated with it. Some so called urologists have told her since then that she didnt have it. However her present urologist did a specific test that only tests for that particular condition and it was overwhelmingly positive. He said he'd never seen someone so young have it to such a severe degree. He tried her on Elmiron, but the side effects were so bad on her, she had to discontinue. She currently only uses Ditropan XL for the symptoms and just tries to watch what she drinks(no colas, limited juices,etc) Anything to acidic sets her off. She also seems to have lots of stinging and burning even when she doesnt have in infection. I cant say if I think hers is related to the dysautonomia or not, but its certainly possible. She had symptoms of dysautonomia for years before being diagnosed at the age of 18. Hope it helps to know shes going through the same stuff as you. If you find any better treatments please keep us posted. Sending you best wishes and hopes for better days ahead..... Susan :)

I have never seen a thread making the connection between ic and pots. However there are many of us on here with ic. I had ic in my 20's and then went through 14 years of remission. When pots came along it only took a few months before my ic returned worse than ever. I attributed it to the stress on my body and to an unfortunate crash through menopause (long story, shut down ovaries). I do have ibs like symptoms and I definately think that is the pots. THe bladder I am not so sure. My typical symptom is just plan old burning pain. I have wondered if ic was connected to: the high salt pots diet, the stress hormomes and or pots related poor circulation (pooling blood etc). Hmmmm lots to think about. My heart breaks for the mom whose said her child had it a 2. I am send you all healing wishes and hopes for better days.....