Vitamin/mineral Supplements

Hi,

I'd like to get some input on what vitamin/mineral supplements that you would recommend, or particularly what ingredients I should look to avoid or include. I was trying out some vitamins from a really great company that is only located in New Zealand (I am in USA), but they are really comprehensive and I believe I am too sensitive to them, as they would make my head/chest feel funny and cause my hr to go up, probably caused by a combination of some herbs it contained (hawthorne, green tea extract, and ginkgo biloba). So I'm thinking that I need a simpler multi.

Any recommendations or advice? I don't want a cheap drug store brand.

Thanks,

James

I take a hypoallergenic capsule made by twinlab. I've also heard tablets are harder to absorb. And indeed, I don't really want lots of added stuff.

In addition to that , I take calcium, magnesium, C (for collagen, since I have eds) , D, glucosamine (for my joints) and CO Q 10.

I use puritan's pride (I've also used vitacost). I take a chewable too.

To get the best prices at puritan's pride, I've found a hidden site within there site that has special sale prices.

I also take glucosamine, alpha lipoic acid, E, evening primrose around my period, and CoQ10.

I use Flintstones. My POTS doc said that all "complete" supplements are pretty much the same, and if I can stomach the candy coated ones better, that's great.

Yeah I used to take these as a child :( They do taste good, but are for mainly for children/teens. By the way I'm 25 and male.

I'd recommend going to a GOOD healthfood store (our better one is independently owned, and the people there are very knwledgeable. Big chains may not have people there who know their stuff. ). I tell them exactly what I want, and they know their inventory. Tell them you don't want lots more than the rda, and you don't want a lot of added stuff-- just a good, easily absorbable multi with no frills. If they try to push some snake oil on you, you know you're not gettign anywhere.

I had someone at a gnc say to me when I questioned the safety of a certain supplement-- 'it's just an herb. it's natural!" (therefore harmless??). Well arsenic is natural too!

All the best vitamin product out there seem to include a bunch of ingredients I'm particularly not looking for...like garlic, gingko Biloba, green tea, Hawthorn, diuretics like milk thistle, or engergizers like Ginseng. It's very frusturating that they throw in these herbs because they are supposedly good for you. But if one has problems with low blood pressure or retaining fluids (I suppose most people don't), these herbs can be counterproductive.

I have had the best luck with a simple adult multi-vitamin that I get at Whole Foods, their 365 brand. It has all your basics, really no frills, and doesn't have the yeast and other additives that always upset my stomach. The best part is that you can get around 100 for $6.99 or so. Compared to other vitamins it can be relatively cheap. I haven't had any problems with it.

Hope that helps!

Guest tearose

I take a good daily vitamin and mineral vitamin once daily. I take one magnesium, one D, two calcium, some folic acid every other day, and started Co Q10. Glucosamine was a great healing help when my knee had flared up.

I may want to add Omega 3, Alpha Lipoic Acid and L-Carnitine. What I need is a consult with a good nutritionist who understands my concerns and could maybe even coordinate with my PCP. Wishful thinking.

I use Flintstones. My POTS doc said that all "complete" supplements are pretty much the same, and if I can stomach the candy coated ones better, that's great.

Yeah I used to take these as a child :) They do taste good, but are for mainly for children/teens. By the way I'm 25 and male.

They are made for kids, but adult versions of "complete daily" vitamins are about the same. I'm older than you, and my POTS doc just said "whatever works for you (digestion-wise), they're really all the same". My OB/GYN also prescribed Flintstones for me during pregnancy at age 21 (bc I was overly nauseous, threw up like 20xs per hour)...she said 2 Flintstones are the same as a normal prenatal vitamin (which is yucky, very heavy on the stomach, and everybody hates them). So the content is about the same, and the digestability is much, much better.

In general, I found that many things made for kids are simply healthier than things made for adults. They're more gentle.

I take the Rainbow Light Just Once (Women's) vitamins. They have definitely helped me. A few years ago I spent a long time in the vitamin section reading all of the labels. This one looked like it was the best for me. I've used it ever since then, and I notice that I'm more tired when I don't take it. My husband uses the same vitamin, only the blend for men. He doesn't have any chronic health conditions, but he notices that he feels better with the vitamin.

The Rainbow Light vitamins can be found in the health food section of a grocery store, in a health food store, or on drugstore.com.

I hope you can find a vitamin that has what you need, and doesn't have what you don't need!

Rachel