Sleep Med Or Anti Depressant?

kwalk

So I've seen that many of you look like your on sleep medications and I've developed a sleeping problem since I've developed pots. I told my doc about this and I thought it was attributed to pots. I wake up a lot during the night, feel really restless as if my feet won't stop dancing, tossing and turning-you know the deal. I end up getting really irritated and start worrying about random things because in general I just think a lot (ADDer here, as if you can't tell, random thoughts start popping in my head). I try to divert myself if I'm conscious enough,throw on my headphones to relax me, and fall back asleep usually.

I didn't really tell my doctor all the details above except for the restlessness and thinking a lot. She pretty much attributed thinking alot to depression GR- stupid on my part telling her that! I wish people understood ADD lol. My doctor told me the sleeping problem wasn't really a pots thing and it was probably depression. Funny thing is, I just started taking vyvanse, and I don't worry nearly as much ;) HMM? I think it makes it easier for me to worry less because my thoughts are so much slower! I listened to my doctor at the time because she gave me trazodone which was for depression and sleep. As I took my second dose last night though, my heart rate was at 134 sitting. Then it was at 183 standing YIKES! I was still tachycardiac when I woke up this morning as well. I had a terrible time falling asleep, yet I didn't wake up at all during the night this time.

I just really don't want to jump the conclusions, as so many doctors love to do and will not let up about. I don't want to seem like I'm naive or something, as if I'm oblivious that I'm depressed. I've taken the anti depressants before, they didn't make my life "better". If anything, I felt more sane off of them.

so can many of you relate to, the insomnia creating some kind of anxiety? and if so, have sleep medications helped?

okay I tried my best to stay on topic today! I'm so hungover from trazodone.

Vyvanse makes me get worse quality sleep, at least for a week. My sleep quality often ***** anyway, but to have something interrupting it further just makes it horrible. Yet I think I need vyvanse or something else for ADD, but maybe later. Actually on vyvanse I did get very sleepy at night as it was wearing off, but that sleepiness didn't translate to falling asleep. I have some anxiety about sleeping (I think that sleeping patterns and habits from childhood carry over majorly), and general life worries make it harder. Am getting sleep study done.

I don't sleep very much either. I wake up every few min thinking about all the problems I have to deal with. When I do take something it is Ativan .05. Just 1/2 of a tab usually relaxes me enough to rest. It is one of the few things I can tolerate that doesn't make me feel hung over.

Have you looked up anything about Restless Legs Syndrome? I don't know if your restless feeling is part of ADD or if you might also have RLS?

Sleep problems are very common and many people find that sleeping tablets do help initially. The downside is that if you take sleeping pills regularly then your body gets used to them and they are less effective. Some people find that just taking one once in a while is ok for them. I worry about sleeping tablets as I have had several relatives stuck on them, can't not take them but still don't sleep well.

I've only taken sleeping tablets myself on two occasions. After knee surgery I was in a lot of pain, getting spasms in my leg and was unable to sleep. My GP prescribed Temazepam to try to help all three problems. It was great for the muscle spasm, and my Mum told me that I slept flat-out for 13 hours - however when I woke up I felt really tired as though I hadn't slept at all!

Hope you get some relief soon,

Flop

Hi,

Did you change/start both meds close together (within a few weeks)? Your body may have difficulty adjusting to a lot of change all at once. My drs. always stress to try a med for a month before changing something else.

Insomnia could be from the ADHD meds. It may be just adjusting when you take it or something?

I don't know that a common symptom of anti-depressants is tachycardia, I guess you could google it for that drug and see if it is a side effect. It could be something other than the med causing the increase in HR.

I also before have just had unpleasant side effects due to the combo of meds. It is possible this combo is not the best for you.

Maybe try calling your dr and see what they say.

Good luck!