Starting Midodrine - Low Dose

My doctor has prescribed 2.5mg in the AM before I get up and 2.5mg at lunch. She has said if that's not enough we will consider 2.5mg three times a day or 5mg twice a day.

I stayed at the office and my blood pressure didn't change much the first and second hour after taking it, so apparently that side effect can be ruled out (is this something to worry about in the future...or is this something that should've happened on my first dosage if it was going to shoot up)?

Well - my heart rate seems lower. I've taken it a few times (as did they) and it didn't go to over 100 on standing like it often does.

But my doctor wants me to monitor myself for the next few weeks to see if it is improving my POTS. I'll know if I feel better, obviously, but any other suggestions? Does anyone use a Polar or other type Heart Monitor?

Any other things I should look forward to or watch for with Midodrine?

I use a Mio watch monitor that doesn't use a strap. Much more comfortable--I used to have the polar one with the strap--what a pain! Because I was large busted, it often lost the signal, because it has to be quite high on the bust line. Also, it needs a gel (or saliva) to transmit, so if it got dry, it would also lose the signal. I've had nothing but easy hr measurement from my ECG accurate Mio petite watch. I've seen similar watches at the local large sports store for a decent price (now under 100$, I paid at least 139 for mine).

nina

You might want to take your bp lying down, to make sure it doesn't elevate it like that. It doesn't seem to in me, but it is a side effect.

My main side effect, which doesn't bother me, is the goose bumps. and I have side effects to many drugs.

I just wish it weren't so short acting.

The effects of Midodrine only last about 3-4 hours so if you find it is helping you the length of action will be something to consider when discussing how often to take it with your doctor. My doctor prescribed Midodrine to be taken every 8 hours which didn't make much sense to me.

Flop

Hi,

There was a previous thread on heart rate monitors. Some use a polar monitor, some use the Mio monitors etc. I have tried both, not really happy with either.

Any suggestions out there for people who can not wear stiff watches like that due to a lot of wrist pain and numbness?

I have seen the portable pulse ox's that also take your HR, has anyone used those?

Hope that helps and thanks in advance anyone with tips on a monitor that doesn't have a band that fits snuggly on your wrist! :)

Ernie -

I think 2.5 may be a bit low - it's not doing much...it's helping a tiny bit, I think, but I can't be 100% sure as I've been hot all day. My doctor is out of town all week but said I could upgrade to 5mg twice a day after one week (and I have a BP Monitor that's fairly accurate and since it has a short half life, if it does increase my BP, just don't take it again).

Everyone -

Do all of you take it one hour before getting out of bed? I have a hard time doing that with work. I'm lucky to be able to take it 30 minutes getting out of bed. The doctor said go for an hour, but what if you take it and 'slowly' get up and get ready?

Monitors -

I like the sound of the wrist one...

I take my meds (including midodrine) as soon as I wake up, and then I make sure I have at least an hour before I actually need to function or leave my room. And my blood pressure shot up after I'd been on midodrine for a while. I don't know if it was because my body changed or what, but I'm on half the dose I was on, and it helps without shooting my bp up.

Meg

I am now up to 5mg right when I get up and 2.5mg at lunch.

I think I could handle 5mg/5mg (as the 5/2.5 combo actually seems to be helping).

But I have to wait until my appointment at the end of the month.

I have not noticed any elevated blood pressure on the 7.5 so am thrilled about that.

Any other Midodrine stories are appreciated! :P

My Son #2 who is 21 was started on midodrine at 5 mg 3x's per day almost 3 yrs ago when his POTS was at its peak, or maybe better said in a POTS hole, this was by his PCP and a cardiologist. The problem with that was it only helped him for 12 hrs, and he was still having syncope and convulsive syncope problems very late in the day. The PCP changed the dosage to 10, 5, 5, 2.5 with some improvement, but he was still having low BP issues. At his first appt with Dr Grubb, he switched him to proamatine instead of the generic midodrine. and this works much much better. He is also approved to take up to 40 mgs/day total for those long college days, midterms, and final exams. His resting HR is usually 50-55 and the BP is always low but with proamatine it is much more stable. Now on most days he takes 5 mg just before getting out of bed, then an additional one in 4 hrs, by then his fluid intake and salt loading has begun to take affect and he does not take the proamatine later in the day. He also has on a few weekends tried to make it an entire day with out taking proamatine and has had some success, he does this by drinking gatorade or G-2 before getting out of bed, then keeping his fluids up w/salt of course, and it seems to be working, though his BP is not as stable. If he is doing any physical activity such as roller blading, playing hockey or riding a bike he does need to take his proamatine and he ususally takes 5 mg. By monitoring his BP and how He feels He has become in tune with his body and knows when he needs the proamatine, so I guess you could say he takes it as needed.

DADofPotsSon

hi, i started taking 2.5mg of midodrine three times a day and found it to be of little help. i now have 5mg three times daily and have seen an improvemrnt, since being on this dose my bp hasnt dropped really low at all however, i have found that my herat rate has been really high when i stand (i dont think that that has anything to do with the meds) i also get the goosebumps really bad and tingling in my scalp which drives me nuts, however i would much rather that than be as ill as i was! ive haers that the maximum amount of midodrine you can have is 10mg 3x's a day, so if things dont get much better, discuss upping your dose with your dr. hope it goes ok for you

kellz

Hi to all,

Thanks kindly to everyone on this forum. I'm truly grateful for all your stories about Midodrine dosages and experiences, also for all I've read about Florinef on this forum.

I'll see my GP this Wed to ask her to forward all pertinent info to a Neur who tests for various types of Dysautonomia. He has already agreed to see me once he gets this info.

My Gp doesn't know about Midodrine and I'm hoping that he'll provide her with lots of help because she doesn't know what to do.

Ernie, what do you mean by goosebump?

Mary P