Neurontin/gabapentin

Many people on the forum are on neurontin for various reasons (some for headaches/migraine and others for neuropathy). I take 600 mg 2x a day, and other than initially being a little drowsy, I've had no problems. I was actually on a much, much higher dose after my spinal surgeries--it made me a bit sleepy but at the time, that didn't matter to me b/c I wasn't working or driving.

Nina

I took 300mg once daily and then I was supposed to eventually go to 3 times a day, however after about 2 days of taking it, I was increadibly ill from it. I was passing out left and right, and a lot of other issues. However I was also very sick at this time, more of the peak of my illness, so I do wonder if that had something to do with it. I might be interested in trying it again here in the future and see if I would have more luck, or react the same.

Flop, my friend across the pond:

The situation here is the same with Lyrica. It is much more expensive than Neurontin. I was on Neurontin for some 10 years. My neurologist says thet the effectiveness of Neurontin seems to diminish the longer one is taking the drug so that the dosage needs to be increased.

Insurance companies like the cheapest drugs, particularly when the patient will be on them for a long time.

Provigil is another drug that is difficult to get approved.

Lois

I had a good friend on neurontin for nerve pains (she doesn't have POTS) and she found the drug to be a godsend for the first three years. Then she started developing tachycardia as a result of the medication and had to stop taking it. I guess this is an unusual side-effect, but the chances of having it increase the longer you take it, and also increases if you go on and off and on again.

jump