Weak Legs

Hi:)

Is there anybody who suffer from weak legs, especially when walking up stairs? Its like I have a lot of "lactic acid", especially in the front of my thighs...Is this only because of th lack of strenght and exercise, or is it due to the blood pooling in the legs or betablockers?

This is also worse after eating-could that be bacause of blood to the gut?

Villen:)

Hi,

If you have too much lactic acid it is because you either do a lot of exercise, you don't recuperate fast enough, or you can't eliminate your lactic acid properly.

You can take anti oxydant to help with the problem.

Hi,

when problems are worse after eating it is often because extra blood is going to the gut to help with digestion. Eating smaller meals more frequently can reduce the problems associated with eating.

When you develop any chronic condition that forces you to be less active your body looses strength in the muscles that aren't being uses as much as previously. When you then make those muscles do something strenuous like climbing stairs it is much harder than before and the muscles get tired. Lactic acid normally develops during exercise, if you keep moving about the body will get rid of its own lactic acid (walking arround on the flat after climbing the stairs may help). If you stay still right after making themuscles work then the lactic acid will stay in the muscles and cause aches and pains over the next few days.

Often no-one knows exactly why we get certain problems but you can probably help your weak legs by gradually training them to be stronger. Try to climb the stairs more often - not too many, just one flight to start with - and then walk about on the flat to let your legs recover. If you manage to do that a few times each day within a couple of weeks you should find that your legs don't feel so weak / wobbly on the stairs. You do need to keep an eye on your heart rate too - no good rushing upstairs and sending your heart rate skyrocketing as that will make you feel even worse!

Flop

Yes, I have gotten weak legs to the point where they have given out on me and I use to teach aerobics for many years! I am not sure why I would get it either. I can happily say I haven't gotten it in a long time. I remember though sometimes my legs and arms would feel like they were burning, like a lactic acid overdose, that's what it felt like in my muscles, but my rheumy told me it was due to my fibromyalgia. Interesting that you bring that up and I'm sorry you have to deal with that it's scary when your legs give out when you're trying to walk. It's like you're telling your legs to move but they won't listen :o

Hey villen,

What type of POTS do you have?

Awesome link by the way pat57 :^)

I have been experiencing progressive pain and weakness in my hips and thighs since shortly after the onset of my POTS diagnosis. It is much worse walking up stairs and climbing or decending any hiking trails, etc. I am unable to pedal a bike for any length of time without extreme fatigue. After any hikes or long walks I'd have days of pain in my thighs and calves. Now it is there most of the time and affects my gait and I have to struggle out of a deep chair or out of the car seat. I also have a lot of shoulder pain and find holding my arms over my head a lot more tiring than usual. I saw my PCP yesterday and she thinks I may have polymyositis -- an autoimmune disease that causes weakness of the proximal muscles. My 24 hour urine has twice the upper limit of creatine which is an indicater. Now I have a rheumatology consult and a lot more testing ahead of me.

I believe there is a strong connection between dysautonomias and autoimmune disorders and that one can accompany the other quite frequently. I think Dr Grubb and others are arguing that POTS may actually be autoimmune in nature and there's a ton of literature about autoimmune overlaps.

So if this sounds like something you are experiencing I would suggest you have the tests done to rule it in or out. There is another autoimmune muscular disorder called mayasthenia gravis that they should explore as well (I'm being tested for that too-- but it primarily is a weakness-only presentation and pain is a big part of my symptoms) and there is one called Lambert-Eaton Myasthenia which has a strong dysautnomia component as well.

Good luck!

I am a new member and the exact feeling you are describing is what was my first symptom of POTS. My legs get so weak that they collapse. I use a walker on some days. After the TTT I couldn't walk for days. Have actually been hospitalized in the past for it prior to being diagnosed with POTS. Taking Taurine, magnesium and an adrenal supplement has helped me some.