Help And Support Needed-please

ajw4790

Hi everyone,

I really need help and suggestions from people who understand and have likely been through similar situations. I know this may get long- I apologize in advance! ;):lol:

I guess it is always best to start at the beginning? So, I am a 24 year old graduate student and was recently on a clinical affiliation that did not go as well as it could have, but all in all I thought things were okay and definitely within the scope of passing and that was also the thought of my clinical instructor (the one who knows what actually went on). So, I got back and my clinical coordinator at school decides she doesn?t like what she hears/sees, I observed too much etc. So, need to do a ?makeup? clinical to be able to pass the class. There was a lot of drama back and forth- almost all having to do with medical issues and how they had been handled. I worked with campus?s disability services and the ADA etc. I do feel that I was pre-judged and given an extra hard time etc. due to all of my medical issues. I also have people behind this fact, but no proof etc. to get me anywhere. :lol:

So, fine? ?makeup? clinical- no biggie I figure more clinical experience etc is good, just not loving the precedent that got me here :ph34r: . But, the problem lies in I started Concerta, and then doubled the dose? had bad side effects that could become serious or fatal, so had to go off of it. Of course this is the same day I start the ?makeup? clinical. So, very short version? I had a lot of bad side effects weaning off the meds, including very serious brain fog and during one episode I was slurring by speech and unable to function at all. Mind you, along with the ?make up? clinical I am also in full time classes and have a comprehensive exam coming up that decides if can continue on. So, things are crazy?

So, then my school removed me from the clinical. I worked with drs on the medical issues. Due to that I could not wave my magic wand and be 100% functional within a week or so to resume the clinical, I was told to take medical leave or fail out of school. I was not going to fail out and waste all that money and six years of my life. So, I am on medical leave for at least 2 quarters then audit classes etc. It ends up being like I start this second year of this program over and I was almost done with it? :);):lol:

So, medical leave?. Many issues?. Mainly money and what to do when, and of course try to straighten out some of these medical issues.

So, I have no income? I am a student that has been living off of loans. I have some money (not much) in the bank, and that is it. Now my school says that because of my withdrawal I owe the Federal Government back the loan money. That amount is more than I have in the bank! It is absurd that they want back loan money, I will pay it back later of course, but it is in my possession now and I need it to live!

So, I am broke, more than broke? I am in serious debt and have no money to live off of for the future. I don?t know what to think, what to do, my head is spinning?

I know get a job, I will try, maybe even a couple? but, the fact remains ?the medical issues continue and are extremely worsened by the summer heat- to the point I will be not functional. So, I am looking for something based at home.

Also, my meds are still being played around with and may get a total overhaul, which will mean I WILL be non-functional for a while for much in the way of many jobs.

It is all too much! Where to start? What to do? Any suggestions? Any financial support thoughts? This is awful? and what I really need to do is be able to get my health on some kind of track, so I can try and complete my degree and earn a living. It is hard to get my health on track if I am working a ton of hours and unable to take good care of myself.

Not to mention I may lose health insurance as well! The hits keep coming?

Please help me in any way, I am very overwhelmed!

Thanks for taking the time to read! :o

My meds and medical conditions are listed below and some are still trying to be worked out? including this severe brain fog and cognitive issues- possibly ADHD related. Also, the heat intolerance and small fiber neuropathy etiology as well.

I'm really sorry to hear about the unfair treatment you've been given.

Quick suggestion. If these are student loans, there is often some leeway, more so than regular loans. Can you call someone at the lender's and explain the situation? My sense is that student loan places are often more forgiving of extenuating circumstances. They know people will be more flush eventually when they finish their studies.

It might take some work, but I think you have a good chance to get your loans extended if you're just taking time off. Also, do you have family that you can stay with or that can help out financially? I hope you can use the time to find the right medication and stabilize your health so that things will be much easier when you go back to school. I've taken some time off of work to do the same and it's done me a world of good. Best of luck to you.

Meg,

Hi! How did you get the Cerefolin? None of my docs have mentioned it? I tried yesterday asking about more things to help with the cognitive issues then ADHD stimulants and that is all they wanted to discuss, so I didn't get anywhere. The Cerefolin was something that I was interested in, but with some drs. I know better to come in and outright ask for a particular treatment, so I tried to express my want to try alternatives as a way to try to get her to think about other solutions... It didn't work, and I realized I wasn't going to get anywhere, so I choose to wait and see...

Is the Cerefolin very expensive?

Thanks so much for your reply!!! :(

Mkoven and rgt,

Thank you so much for your replies. They helped, I will try to discuss the situation with them further and try to get some assistance due to the situation.

Thanks!!! :)

Hi, ajw4055. Don't panic about your student loans. In fact, don't even worry about them. My school tried the same thing when I medically withdrew from graduate classes. They told me because I was no longer taking classes, I had to return the money. And yep, it was already spent on living expenses! I was really panicked, so I called around to both the Department of Education and to my loan provider. What the school stated was absolutely false.

Now, on the subject of repayment because you are out of school. There should be a six-month grace period before you have to start making payments. After that, you can file for a financial hardship deferment, a disability deferment, or an unemployment deferment (does it sound like I've done this before? argh...), depending on which is applicable. I've never had a problem getting a deferment, and it postpones your payments for an additional year. In fact, I'm in a financial hardship deferment right now because my employer wouldn't let me work.

I'm so sorry your educational plans have been delayed. I know how frustrating that can be. I do have to say, though, your school did not treat you very well. I'm angry in your stead that they would do so little to help you and showed so little compassion. Those type of hurts do heal eventually. Don't let ignorant people get in the way of your right to an education. I'll be pulling for you!

• 2 weeks later...

Deucykub,

Thank you so much for your response. It took me a while to respond, but I read it a while ago. I just haven't been on the board much. But, you have no idea how much it relieved some of that worry.

I have called my school and the Department of Ed. and really have gotten nowhere they have not helped me out or answered any of my questions. They kind of point fingers to the other party... :ph34r:

So, I was wondering if you have the time, can you PM me a few more details of what you had to do? My school won't talk to me and the Direct Loan people say it is all out of their hands.

They still are telling me that I will likely owe money and will not get any of the overage back to help live off of until I get an income. Uggghhh!

I hate you had to go through it too, but I am glad that I am not the only one! I also am glad to see I am not the only one to have to take medical leave from school. It is tough... And a week after I left my class took a class picture together! Geez, again and again things seem to just rub it in.

The financial stuff doesn't make it any better!

Thanks!!!! :blink:

I'm not sure about the cost of cerefolin, as I'm still on my parents' insurance, but Dr. Grubb prescribed it for me when I was having a lot of trouble with brain fog. When he mentioned it was the first time I heard of it. I've found, though, that if I think a med will work, I may not outright ask for it, but I'll ask if he thinks it will be something to consider. Sorry it took me so long to reply!

Meg