Can An Epidural Cause Pots?

mvdula

I am still trying to figure this out - obviously. Although I had lots of palps and some fatigue during pregnancy, I had NO problems with heat or exercise. My real problems started postpartum - I breastfed (which I think delayed my symptoms), so things started as I cut down nursing and had a super-onset about 13-14 months postpartum after weaning. I had a VERY bad reaction to the epidural. I have had 2 before with no problem. This time, I soon felt very hot, anxious, arms dead-feeling but they worked fine, just a nightmare - so they monitored my vitals (which they said were fine), and watched and worried about me a lot - and gave me benadryl. Basically a 2hour nightmare for med to wear off - at which point I actually had the baby. not fun. When he (apparently a very good anesthesiologist with lots of experience) administered the epidural, he 'tested' it by doing something and asking me if I felt an electric shock down one of my legs - which I did - not fun. so he 'adjusted' it and was finished. Just wondering if this 'postpartum' onset of POTS might be due to epidurals....

my husband thinks this may be the cause for me......

I haven't heard of that and I'm old so had my babes the old fashioned way. Who knows, though, when they are messing with your neuro system? With all the epidurals given, and the fact that you had some symptoms before the epidural, I guess you might have been predisposed to POTS and the reaction kicked it off.

I usually think that however. There is a predisposition and some unfortunate thing causes it to become more severe, or a lot more women would have OI. I can't remember the last time I heard of someone having "natural" childbirth and so many babies are born, it would seem to be much more of a problem if epidurals were the problem.

But I also believe in immunizations, and that seems to be a real bone of contention too. We can try until our faces are blue to find the exact cause, but I don't think many of us actually will. Someday......morgan

Yes, seems to me too that I must have had a disposition. I wonder though - since the a large % of POTS patients are young and of child-bearing age. According to Dr Grubb's office and much that I have read, postpartum is one of the onset times for POTS...just makes me think...

I actually find this interesting because my symptoms started literally within minutes of having my epidural removed (they removed it after I had my first son, and then got me up to go to the washroom and I hit the floor). My blood pressure never did come up over 70/30 standing after that without meds. We always assumed the stress of childbirth triggered it but had never given any thought to the epidural... That said I had a second epi with my second son 2 years later and did just fine... although I was on massive amounts of IV fluids that time - my OB wasnt taking any risks.

I agree with morgan that if epidurals caused POTS there would be a heck of a lot of POTS cases. I think what is clear is that there are a variety of triggers for POTS in people who are pre-disposed, and pregnancy/post partum seems to be a strong one.

I agree that if it were a cause many more people would have symptoms. I do think it could be a trigger though in some people, or it maybe more of the childbirth experience, and effect of hormones.

I find it interesting though that more than one person saw a correlation with this event.