Low, Low Blood Pressure

wibbleway

Hello Everyone,

For the past two days my blood pressure has been so low. The last reading I took was 94/74 and my pulse was 90. It has been this way every time I stand up. Usually my blood pressure rises and then drops but this has been an exhausting two days. I've been in bed with a headache and heart flopping. Has anyone else experienced times like this? I really need some cheering up! :)

Thank you all!

Hi Cathy,

I'm sorry you're feeling badly. My BP is always 90/60, if I take it at resting- sometimes, 75/45 when I'm lying down. If I'm standing, it's a bit higer....but it plops back down quickly when I sit down. I function OK, probably 75% of normal (whatever that is!) This seems unusual for you. Have you called your doc and at the very least spoken with his/her nurse? That may be helpful. Up your fluids and salt and wear your compression hose if you wear them. Let us know how you're doing.

Julie

Ernie,

Thank you for writing back. I have normally had extremely high blood pressure and pulse rate and then it bottoms out. I take a low dose of Atenelol. I have been through all the trials at Vanderbilt and so far no medications work. The difference now is that when I get out of bed in the morning, I can't even get a blood pressure reading. I tried 3 times and finally had to lay down to get it to read. Then throughout the day it is staying low and putting extreme pressure on my heart. The pulse is going up and the chect hurts. I had a really bad spell a couple of days ago and am just wondering if I need time laying in bed to recup. I hope others will write in and help me out. This is really depressing.

<_< One more thing, I think the hardest part is knowing that for a couple of days, I need to stay down in the bed and rest. I try to push on and it makes it worse. Why can't I just learn to stay down for 2 or 3 days and rest my system?

That is so true. I fight staying in bed thinking that if I get up and do something it will help, but it just makes the body not anything but feel worse. I just don't understand why my blood pressure is staying so low and why it won't even register when I first get up in the mornings. That is so different from anything I've experienced before.

Hi Cathy,

I know I need to take a non selective BB otherwise it aggravates even more my BP swings. I also have the problem of not being able to get a BP reading when I am sitting or standing. That frustrates me because this is when I would like to see how my BP is doing, and when I felt presyncopal.

I do much better with my compression hose.

Have you tried sitting up a few minutes before you stand up in the morning?

Yes, I have tried sitting up before I stand. The thing that I don't understand is why it is so low all day except laying flat. Before it would jump up high and then bottom out and now it is being low all day. This disease is really frustrating. Thank you for the help. It is encouraging just to talk about it with people who understand.

Thank you Ernie,

I sent a message to Vandy on Friday but haven't heard back. I will ask about that medicine. Meanwhile, I just resting. Thanks for all your input.

Just wanted to tell you not to worry too much. My blood pressure is about yours everyday and sometimes it gets down to 86-55. And my heart rate gets to 100 very easily... But of course, not being alone with your symptoms does not mean you can ignore them. I would look into the matter and identify the cause.

As you can see on my signature... Just now I am investigating my adrenals (hormones: cortisol and aldosterone) for having a low bp and a high hr.

Aldosterone has to balance our blood pressure and heart rate and when this hormone is not produced or not enough, some of the symptoms are low blood pressure, high heart rate, dizziness... POTS...

One of my problems seem to be that I have hypoaldosteronism and the doctor continues with tests...

Take care,

Tessa

Hi,

How long ago did you start Atenolol? That could lower it further. Have you taken anything else new or other lifestyle changes? I know my BP tends to get a lot lower when I start new meds/supplements or for random spells. My BP can get really low at times. 70 or 80 something over 40 is not unheard of for myself. Then I tend to feel plain awful with this too! I do not tolerate it well.

As far as the machine not getting your BP make sure you don't move too much, cough etc. while taking it, I know I can have this happen, but normally because I move a little too much. Also make sure you are in whatever position before pressing the button. I think for me sometimes if I feel symptomatic and am shaky the shakiness throws it off.

Hope you get to feeling better!

Thank you all for your input. To answer some of the questions, I've been on a low dose Atenolol for 3 years because I was first diagnoised with POTS. Upon standing my blood pressure went extremely high and the pulse rate rose and then after 8 minutes dropped. The past two weeks things have changed. Now when I stand, my pressure drops, my pulse rate goes up. It is just the opposite. As with all of us, I can't even get a reading alot of the time. Now when I stand to take the reading it doesnt' take for 3 times. I stand about one minutes and it can show 80/50 pulse 90 then after 3 minutes it is 101/96 pulse 120. That is when I get sick. When lying down everything is normal. It seems that the POTS has developed into another form of Dysautonomia now and I don't know why? I've been in touch with Vandy and my cardiologists here. The cardiologists wants me to stay down until I can see her on Monday. Thanks for all your input. B)