Hello Again

thejohnsongang

Hey everybody. I'm finally back on line and slowly catching up on all the posts. It has been a horrific couple of months here in Maryland and I'm glad to say that I have survived thus far. I haven't really been on line since the beginning of October and I sure have missed all you guys. The support I get from all of you is wonderful and doesn't compare to anything else.

Since I have last talked with you all...lets see....The end of September our family took on a new family member. My niece Brittany came to us under a protective order from the state child protective services. She was 16 and has since turned 17 with us. We were in court every 1-2 weeks until the middle of November fighting for custody of her and we finally won. She is ours until she turns 18. She has had a horrible couple of years and came to us with many issues and baggage. She had been sexually abused by her neighbor, physically and emotionally abused by her father (my brother) as well has told to drop out of school and abandoned by her mother. She has never been protected or truly loved and has mostly raised herself for the past couple of years. She had a history of violent outbursts, mood swings, and being a cutter. She had been in and out of a mental treatment center for the past year and her father was trying to have her committed to a group home as he could no longer deal with her. Since coming to live with us, she has stopped cutting, goes to therapy weekly, has a mentor at school and will graduate this June. She has made long strides in her treatment and works daily to overcome what she has gone through. She considers our household normal :) But I guess it is compared to what she was use to. Any way she has fit in beautifully with only minor flaws that are to be expected with all the trauma this child has gone through. She is on medication finally and doing wonderful. She underwent surgery December 27th to correct a bone deformity in her knee that has been neglected for years. We got her glasses (the first time she has ever had her eyes checked) and took her to the dentist...her first trip in 5 years. Needless to say we've come a long way with her and still have a long way to go.

Along with this my daughter Anna has been having problems with her Von Willebrands as well as her pots/nmh. She has been in the ER 2 times in the last month and has lost 10 pounds. Her family doctor is running test to try to find out what is wrong, but I'm very worried considering all her chronic health issues. Keep her in your prayers for me if you will please.

The to top off the hat, my husband is going to the doctors tomorrow. He has a hernia that needs to be fixed as he is so uncomfortable he can't stand it anymore. He doesn't even have health insurance.....is goal was to keep me and the kids covered as we all have chronic health problems. So I guess what we get back in taxes will pay for part of his surgery...we'll figure the rest out later. Then on top of that...like it isn't enough already...the trans went out of our car and now we are down to one car.....What a way to start the year off.

Anyway enough ranting for now. I just needed to get it all out to people who understand what it's like when the ball just keeps rolling.

Hope everyone has had a better year than us so far.

Nolie

oh my nolie!!!!!! that is alot on your plate!

im so glad that you where and have been able to help get your niece out such a horrible situtation.. that is NO WAY for a child to live.. im so happy that she is making such progress.. goes to show what can happen when you love and nurture a child instead of hurting and abusing her!

prayers are with her! and you family for helping her!

I hope that you daughter can get some help.. and that your hubby surgery goes well

god bless!

Oh man, what a time your family has been going through. I feel bad for you niece. I worry that she still will have a lot to go through as time goes on as she learns to cope with her history. I'm certain, though, that she must have some relief in her life now that she as people she can trust and rely on.

Nina