med for hyperactivity

Radha

hi, first i want to thank all of you for taking the time to answer my questions, i'm so grateful for all the help, i know i mentioned the nervous energy i have inside, even though i'm so exhausted, i cant stop moving, this is worse at night, like after 10p.m. and it keeps me from sleeping, then i'm so burned out in the morning, is there any medication to help this hyper feeling? does adderrall help for this? i heard its addicting. and i dont want anything to stimulate me even more!!

Radha, most of the medications that are specifically used for hyperactivity are actually stimulants. For some reason, folks who are hyperactive tend to get a calming effect from the stimulants that make the rest of us jittery. In this group of drugs are things like: dexedrine, adderal, ritalin, etc. Yes, they can be addictive--so is coffee, another stimulant--to which I am happily addicted to my daily morning cup... off to go drink it now. :mellow: Nina

Like Ernie, propranolol works for me. I only take a 10mg dose when needed, and it's pretty rare that I need it. But when I do, I'm sooooo glad I have it! It's also the only prescription that I use.

Radha, you need to speak with your doctor about what it right for you. Also, your pharmacist should know about what drugs are okay to take together.

nina

Hi Radha,

A few more thoughts on Adderall...

Prior to taking Adderall my heart was beating out of control...it was getting the wrong signal...CNS was telling my heart that it needed to pump harder to get the blood to circulate...but the real problem was the collagen holding the veins together was not strong enough to cause the veins to constrict in order to push the blood back up to the heart.

I take Adderall XR as a vascular constrictor. I have never been hyperactive...diagnosed with CFS at Univ of Michigan. My fatigue was overwhelming...putting on my tennis shoes was my exercise for the day.

When I was diagnosed with POTS and EDS...I was put on Adderall to help constrict the veins...now my heart is beating normally and the chronic fatigue is gone.

Just wanted to let you know that some people use Adderall are not hyperactive....it helps my veins constrict...and doesn't make me hyper...in fact calmer...body seems to need it to feel 'complete,' and to work efficiently.

Just one more piece of information to think about! I hope you find something that works for you...it has been an 6 year journey for me...trying many different drugs.... until I found Dr. Grubb. He doesn't use a 'one size fits all' approach.

I wish you could see him.

thanks so much for all your replies, i will definately consider taking adderrall, just start out slow i guess, on a very low dose, how often can i increase? and of course trying to get a rx from my doc will take forever, but will try, thanks again

radha