Trying Coq10

yogini

Hi everyone,

I started taking a low dose (50 mg) of CoQ10 on 1/1. I never expect too much from supplements, but I'm actually feeling more alert and feel less need to take a nap in the afternoons - I was taking one almost every day before. I especially notice a lot more energy in the evenings. I've been making a lot of other positive changes which have slowly been helping me to feel better, but think the extra energy is from the CoQ10 b/c I started to feel the changes right after taking it...so I'm pretty excited!

Right now I'm going to stay at the low dose and see how things go. I'm making other adjustments and don't want to do too much at once. But I may think about increasing it sometime down the road. I know people ask about CoQ10 sometimes, so just wanted to share!

-Rita

Guest tearose

This is good Rita.

Please let me know what you think after two weeks.

I am curious about two things....

1) How it has energized you during the day, like what changes you notice.

and

2) If you think that it has improved or not changed any quality of your nighttime sleep.

If it works for you, I would want to consider it.

You are the "test model" !

thanks,

tearose

Interesting observation about coenzyme Q. There has been a surge of research on it in relationship with heart disease, Parkinson's disease, and other disorders. So far, the results have been mixed, but I believe it may still have some utility in clinical practice on an individual basis. I am glad you found positive effect at that low dose. The downside of coQ10 is that it can be quite expensive at high doses.

This to is an interesting topic and something else I have considered for myself. I will be interested in how it continues to work for you.

How long have you been taking it?

What is the 1/1 mean?

Have you noticed any side effects or is there any known downside to taking it?

Thanks!

Hope it continues to work well!

Sorry for the confusion - 1/1 means Jan 1, so it's been 10 days, pretty close to the 2 week mark. I'm planning to slightly reduce my beta blocker this weekend, so after that it could be hard to tell what is attributable to the CoQ10. Lucily, I haven't noticed any negative side effects at all.

Normally I used to feel kind of "blah" for much of the day - like sleeping or vegging out on the couch all day. I would get bursts of energy to do things, but then I would crash or at least have to rest. With CoQ10 my energy level feels a bit more constant - I do feel "blah" sometimes, but overall, I feel more alert. I've even found myself spontaneously vacuuming and doing other things which require energy in the evenings after dinner - normally I'd be camped out in front of the TV. My sleep has slowly been improving over the past couple of months, but I can't say for sure that the CoQ10 has helped on that front.

I've seen CoQ10 mentioned in articles and on the news (including re: cardiovascular health) and that was part of my reason for trying it - I think in old posts some others have reported mild improvement form it. I think I even read somewhere that it is being used in lieu of beta blockers to treat some conditions. I got 60 pills for $12 at Vitamin Shoppe, so at a low dose it is pretty reasonable...and, for me, well worth it...

Guest tearose

This is sounding promising RIta! You found yourself "spontaneously vacuuming"? That says volumes. Move over nap-time and pass the Co Q10.

Good luck with coming down off your meds this weekend!

CVS was out of the smaller dose of this supplement but I plan on giving it a try once my pcp gives me positive opinion.

Do you take it in the morning? I would guess that is probably a better time of day.

Thank you for the update.

best regards,

tearose