Midodrine Dosing

mkoven

Hi everyone,

I tried to up my midodrine to 3.75 mgs from 2.5, and it just made me way too agitated. My bp needs more, but my psyche can't deal. Somethin I've noticed though is that it starts to wear off after 2 hours. Any ideas if it would be okay to take 2.5, wait 2 hrs and take 2.5 more, rather than 5 all at once? I'm thinking it would give me more even coverage without making me feel like I want to jump out of my skin.

Thanks!

Michele

Based upon my experience with Midodrine, I would see no problem given the small amount that you are taking. I had been taking 10-12.5 mg every 4 hours when upright. As long as you monitor your blood pressure and as long as you do not exceed 40 mg a day, you shouldn't have a problem.

Of course, you should check with your doctor unless DoctorGuest or another doctor who monitors this site has any information. Your best bet would be to check with your doctor.

Lois

I think the difficulty is that you are taking such a low dose (2.5 mg). I used to take 12.5 in the am and then 10 and 10 and sometimes another 10 when I was working.

Frankly, I would try the schedule you are suggesting while checking my blood pressure every couple of hours.

I wonder if your doctor will even know the answer unless he is experienced in prescribing midodrine.

Lois

Theoretically, your increase sounds fine because the max dosing for midodrine is much more. But if you're so sensitive that you can't even take 3.75 at once, I'm not sure how you would react to spreading it out over time. I'd check with a dr or pharmacist (these can be helpful if oyu can't reach your doc)...but they might not know either. It might be worth experimenting with when you have some down time. I think slightly high BP for a couple of hrs is not so bad - it's really sustained high BP over long periods of time which causes the damage. And if it works, it could be a great tool for you.

I've only tried midodrine a handful of times and I do feel strange at the when I first take it and again whenit wears off. I don't take it unless I need to b/c I don't like the way it makes me feel. But the strange feeling has lessened a little over the few times I have taken it.

I always put up with the strange feelings from midodrine - chills, tingling and itching scalp, etc. Midodrine enabled me to keep on functioning in employment for several years. I used to do alot of international travel--I would tell the head of the agency I was travelling with about my condition and the effects of midodrine..particularly, I didn't have lice, dandruff or any other scalp condition that caused me to itch my head.

If I remember some of the reports from the clinical trials with midodrine, most of the people taking the drug had similar side effects. However, weighing how awful one felt without it, most opted to continue.

Chill, tingling and itching should be the worst you feel from midodrine. The Chills actually were pretty good when it was 95 degrees out and you are wearing a sweatshirt.

You gradual dosing schedule may be a very good idea. By the time you take the second dose (2 hours later), you are halfway through the impact of the first dose.

The main thing is to keep track of your blood pressure and heart rate during your period of experimentation.

Lois

glad you (finally) got the go ahead from your doc, though of course sorry you had to wait so long. i'll be hoping that the change will give you the boost you need!

just an FYI too that - for me - while the side effects (scalp tingling mostly) were a welcome trade-off in exchange for better functioning (at one point helping me to plug along with school &/or work), i no longer have any noticable side effects, even with 15mg 3-4 times a day. so for some people they go away with time.

:( melissa

It helps some, with fewer crashes between doses. I think I may simply need more than 2.5 at a time, but at this point feel too agitated. Maybe that will improve?

I also think I'm ok lying down on it. My bp at its highest on the midodrine was 100/62 supine today. That would give me more flexibility if I don't have to force myself to avoid reclining.

My vision feels a little off--like it's a little hard to focus and things are too bright. Don't know if that's midodrine, fatigue, or residual from my migraine last night till this morning.