Feel Better With Head Up?

mallen1

I often feel most ill after I've been lying flat for a time. The episodes seem to be partially relieved when I sit up in a chair. This seems at odds with the theories I've heard about dysautonomias in general and how they derail your systemic blood pressure. Is this positional experience shared by others?

Any thoughts?

Take Care,

-Mark

This is paradoxical but true. I've heard others say the same. Personally, this is only the case for me when I'm having brady, rather than tachy. And the brady is much worse. I just have to stay half-way, like reclining. But it's not always so...sometimes it's tachy, and I should go flat. Soooo many different kinds of symptomatic moods w/this illness; it takes years to get to know them all....and then they shift and change. Good luck.

I guess I see trends in regards to positioning for myself. But, they tend to change somewhat frequently.

I many times just don't want to be laying down (maybe part of RLS), others the upright position is exhausting. I have also recently found that propping up the head of the bed was not for me, but I have found laying with my legs slightly propped up on a pillow has been comfortable.

I also sleep with a ton of pillows so my head tends to be up, I can not lay flat. I used to like sleeping in recliners as a kid, I wonder if there is a connection? I haven't recently due to not having one. :)

I also just don't sleep well at all at night... not necessarily positional, but I find laying flat more comfortable during the day. :P:)

Good luck, hope you find some answers! :)

My son has POTS and his doctor doesn't want him lying flat at all. He also doesn't want his head propped up with pillows. He had us put boards under the legs of the bed so that the bed is at a tilt. The head of the bed should be raised 4-12". That took a little getting used to because my son slides down towards the foot of the bed during the night. During the daytime my son is in a comfortable chair with his legs on a ottoman, or a recliner is great. The reason for all this is that the body does a better job of staying hydrated and retaining salt when the heart is higher than the legs. Personally, I also think it's too traumatic for the body to get into a standing position from a supine position and that's why you feel so much worse getting up after you've been in bed. Hope that helps.

-Lenna

Hi Mark,

I have heard that many patients feel better when lying flat compared to sitting or standing. Do you feel bad while still supine or do you begin to feel worse when you get up AFTER being supine for a while? For patients with OI, doctors recommend sleeping on blocks to elevate the head of the bed so that in the morning, there is less OI upon getting up. Some people feel better with that, while others can't really sleep well in this position. I am assuming that you had an echo done for this complaint. Not sleeping at night is awful and greatly intensifies all kinds of symptoms during the daytime. Hope you can find some relief for insomnia!

Take care,

drg

Thanks for the replies! drg, yes I've done the echocardiogram it's not CHF (congestive heart failure) or anything pump related. To be more specific, it's after lying down for a protracted period of time, especially if I drift off I can almost guarantee having an episode of palpitations/diaphoresis. If I pop up like a jack-in-the-box it definitely makes matters worse adding tachycardia to the scenario, but if I gently transition myself to a comfortable overstuffed chair, the episode partially resolves. Splanchnic pooling? I have not a clue.

Take Care,

-Mark

I've noticed lately that I always feel better semi reclined and have developed that dreaded little chf type cough. I haven't had an echo in awhile, so guess I will look into it. It's just finding a doctor that will order one for me. It's hard for me to lie flat, but hard for me to be straight upright also.

Going from lying to standing is pretty difficult. I always have to sit up for a bit...morgan

Guest tearose

In general, I like my head in the up position.

I don't do the bed tilt though. I feel best at a regular level for sleep. I have trouble getting up but try to take it slow and careful.

tearose