pain and vicodin

Jaime

So I have had 5 knee surgeries with the last one being a little over a year ago. Recently I have had a very bad flare up to the point where I am having a hard time doing anything even just laying in bed. They tried high doses of anti-inflammatory drugs, steroids, but in the meantime I have had to take vicodin because the pain is so bad. Since narcotics decrease blood pressure I have been having a really hard time with the POTS. I was just wondering what you guys do if you have severe pain. I have tried doing without the pain killer, but like I said the pain is so bad that I can't sleep or anything. If anyone has suggestions I would really appreciate it. My BP has been running very low. Have a good day! :rolleyes:

Jaime

You might ask your doc about trying a different pain medication to see if the side effects aren't as bad. I took Ultracet (similar to Ultram, but with acetomenophin added) for pain after my surgery and it really helped. I'm allergic to codeine, so that and all it's relatives (including vicodin) are out. When it was REALLY horrible, I took percocet, which didn't seem to make me feel dopey or tired, although that can be a side effect. For me, percocet gives me the opposite reaction--I'm hyper and very awake.

Hope your knee starts feeling better soon. Bone pain sure is something awful.

Nina

Oh, and like Jersey Girl, I've had allergic reactions to tons of medications, so my list of possibilities is very short.

Nina