Do Headstands Help?

bella27

I tried posting this question before but couldnt find my post the next day so I don't think it went through...sorry if it did though and I'm double posting...

Anyways, my non-Pots friends suggested I do headstands every night and every morning to get blood to my brain. I've been trying this for a week and it seems to be really helping, though I'm wondering if its just the placebo effect. Has anyone else tried this? I'd love to know if its worked for other people so that I know its not just in my head (no pun intended).

Also, I saw another thread about how bending over (which I assume would have a similar effect to headstands) is actually bad for POTS. I thought this was strange since POTS patients have a lack of blood to the brain so shouldn't bending over give us the extra boost of blood we need? One woman said that the reason why its bad for POTS is because the blood is not oxygenated? Can someone please explain? Also, would this be the same deal with headstands?

Thank you for reading!

Rachel

At the Mayo Clinic, they recommended that I lie down for 45 min each day and put my feet up on pillows so that they are above my heart. This causes the blood to drain back into the body if you have pooling. So maybe your headstands are having a similar effect, though I wouldn't assume so unless you talk to a dr.

I've started taking yoga within the past few months and sometimes we do a headstand in class. I haven't found that it helps my POTS symptoms - if anything it causes them to act up. There is a modified version where you lie on your back with your rear end up against the wall and put your legs vertically against the wall. This is more of a supported headstand which doesn't require nearly as much energy. I think it still causes the blood to drain out of your legs. If it is working and you have the strength to do headstands regularly, though, more power to you!

On the bending over question - the hard part is not bending over as much as coming up. Even regular people get head rushes from coming up too fast. I know this from yoga, because they always make you come up slowly so you don't get dizzy.

• 11 years later...

I know this is an old post, but I'm wondering the same thing! I do have to be careful about getting right side up again, but headstands seem to be helpful/not harmful. Before my diagnosis (but after symptoms appeared), I did yoga and loved head stands. Now, i enjoy the occasional headstand against the wall for support. Another note on yoga: I always got lightheaded and could black out in yoga, especially during stretches. Anyone else pre-syncope while stretching?