Breathless And Pms

mkoven

So here I am three days before my period. So far, if I take ibuprofen prophylactically, I've been able to abort a couple migraines (including one with vertigo). It seems that my migraines are most likely to come on early evening or early morning, so I make sure I'm covered then. So far so good.

But, when I walk around today, I can't catch my breath. It's just today, as I had no problem yesterday, though I've had this symptom before premenstrually. About a year ago, I went to the er for this very symptom, and they admitted me to rule out angina--which they did. (I'm somewhat overweight, 40 years old, but otherwise no clear risk factors.) Is is just low bp? I've been worked up a million different ways. My stress test is normal, holter and event monitor just show periods of tachycardia in a normal rhythm. This doesn't feel like asthma. I don't have a bp cuff with me, but typically my bp is extra low premenstrually.

It's creepy, if nothing else. I'm at work, and can avoid standing if need be, I guess. But none of my docs associate shortness of breath with ncs-- not that they see tons of ncs. So they've chalked it up to "gee, don't know, that's weird. we can't find anything wrong with you. could it be stress?" arrgh.

If it is a pots/ncs/pms thing, can anyone explain the mechanism?

Hi, Sorry to hear you are having problems breathing. I too had and still have times when I am so breathless I can not even carry a conversation. I was so bad at one point that I could not even get out of bed because the minute I would stand I was completely breathless. I saw Dr Grubb and he explained to me that it is all apart of my nervous system not working properly. Remember our ANS controls every autonomic function in our bodies. Our diaphram which controls how deeply we breath may not be relaxing, which in turn will make it hard for you to take a deep satisfying breath. Or your lungs may not be expanding to capacity. It's something that can not be diagnosed properly, which makes it very frustrating for all of us suffering with any form of dysautonomia. My breathing ability has gotten better, and hopefully it will for you as well.

Difficulty breathing was one of the very first symptoms that flared up for me. I used to be a year-round competitive swimmer, but then started having difficulty breathing. All the doctors thought I had asthma, so I went through all of the pulmonary function tests, stress test, induced asthma attack, etc. etc. Everything came back showing that I had a great heart and lungs, yet there was most definitely a problem. I just couldn't always get enough oxygen when I swam. After 9 months or so the severe fatigue came and then we noticed the fast hr, eventually leading to a POTS diagnosis. I was told that the breathing difficulty was caused by the dysautonomia.

I still have difficulty getting enough air sometimes. I'll feel like I'm holding my breath even though I'm breathing. Sometimes I will try and try to take a deep breath, but I just can't. Then all of a sudden my lungs will finish expanding and I'll be satisfied. It's the strangest thing. This can happen if I'm lying down, sitting, or standing. Foods are sometimes a trigger. Activity is a trigger too, especially stairs.

If the doctors haven't been able to find anything else wrong then it could very well be dysautonomia causing the breathing problems for you. It's a very uncomfortable feeling to be breathing but feel like you're holding your breath. I hope it passes soon for you.

Rachel

I just last week had a similar episode. I was running (which I only do twice a week at the most, usually I just walk.) But I noticed that my chest was really hurting, and I felt like I couldn't get enough air. Then I realized that it was just before my period, and I noticed on this site that a lot of people have more problems premestrually. I had (my first ever!) cross-country race on Saturday, and the chest pain/breathing problems were gone. What's that all about?

I went running when they did my Holter test earlier this summer, and it showed no problems. So I don't think there's anything wrong with my heart or lungs besides autonomic weirdness. Hopefully it's the same for you, too!

Amy