Chiropractic

jjpots

Just curious if anyone has tried chiropractic to help with POTS. I've heard that chiropractic helps because if your body is in proper alignment it performs more efficiently and so on so wondering if anyone has had experience with it?

JJH

Hi!

I don't have any personal experience with it, but I tend to have a strong personal opinion against it (chiropractors). It is possible if you find a well educated chiropractor not wanting to feed you a lot of garbage, that they may be worth going to. For POTS symptoms, I am not sure what to go for, and have done? There should be a specific goal in mind and they should have some evidence, or scientific reasoning to why chiropractic medicine may help. To go and get "adjusted" for the reck of it in my opinion is not the way to go. There are risks with some of their treatments which hopefully they will fully disclose.

With any treatment it is best to be well educated and informed to what you are getting into.

I personally think with what is "wrong" with most of us and with what chiropractors do (of what I understand) there is not any correlation. I suppose through relaxation, they could temporarily get someones heart rate down? They can not adjust the nervous system which is what is malfunctioning, so other than the small possibility of helping some side effects temporarily I don't see personally enough of a benefit.

Also, if they are manipulating you etc. make sure before you go that you are not at risk or already have instability (EDS etc), osteoporosis, etc.

Good Luck (and yes I am bias!) :)

I have eds and am very wary of most chiropractors. The best case scenario is they realign, me, and then I resublux minutes later. I've gotten a little relief from a chiropractor when I had ribs out, but I prefer massage. A good massage person will relax the muscle that is pulling stuff out of alignment. For me it's far gentler and more effective. Certainly no high-velocity cracking adjustments.

it does not appear (from the site below) that Chiropractors report helping POTS, ANS issues.

http://www.occhiro.org/Definitions/Benefits.htm

Some Conditions that may be Alleviated by Chiropractic Care

Headache

Fatigue

Fibromyalgia

Jaw Pain (TMD)

Neck pain

Upper Back Tension

Shoulder Pain

Arm Pain, Tingling, Weakness

Cold Hands and Feet

Tennis Elbow

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Mid Back pain

Rib Pain

Chest Pain - If you suspect a heart attack, go to the emergency room first.

Low Back Pain

Menstrual Cramps

Weakness in the arms and legs

Foot pain

Scoliosis

Some Chiropractors include nutrition/herb consultations and may be able to help you with some of systemic conditions.

I went to a chiropractor about a year ago for the first time. I had always been wary of chiropractic care, but I was very impressed with this chiropractor. Everyone at the office was very professional (more so than most doctors offices I've been to!). The chiropractor I went to has an excellent reputation among doctors in the area and comes highly recommended.

It is important to have a properly aligned spine. If the spine is out of alignment then nerves can get pinched, causing them to not transmit messages properly. I was advised to go to a chiropractor just to make sure that mechanically everything was right with my spinal column. Dysautonomia is bad enough, I didn't want to have any additional problems due to pinched nerves.

Before my spine was realigned I was given a thorough medical evaluation, exam, and x-rays. I had gotten whiplash in a car accident years ago (soon before I got POTS interestingly enough). I saw the xrays of my spine and, boy, my neck was all messed up! The chiropractor realigned my neck and then I was given heat and massage to help relax the muscles.

I don't know that the realignment really helped much with my overall health. It certainly did not make things worse. If anything I improved a little. I have improved some in the area of fatigue since then. But is it related to the realignment or just because? I can't really say. I did greatly appreciate my chiropractor, though, and I am very glad that I went and had my neck straightened out. Someday soon I'd like to go back just to make sure things are still aligned properly.

If you are considering chiropractic care I would speak with your doctor first just to make sure it would be a good option for you. Also, it is good to get a doctors recommendation on a chiropractor. You want to make sure you're going to a good one.

Rachel