Support Hose

MightyMouse

Hi all. I've been wearing AmesWalker's 30-40 level hose for a while, and the three pairs I have are starting to show their age. One pair went in the trash this week. Thoughts on what ones are sheerer than others? I'd like some ideas before I buy new pairs.

Nina

definitely "Jobst UltraSheer." i will add the warning that these tend to run a bit easier & are a bit harder to get on too, but other than perhaps at the toe they pretty much look just like regular hose. there are several shades & while i recall wishing there was one inbetween two that i had i wore them for years during college/ work years with fairly short skirts at times & no one would have known the difference. in regard to the shades, the darker tan/ beige was unnaturally tan for me once i was past my lifeguard years and the lighter was super pasty even for pale me. what i did at times when i really cared and/or was wearing something shorter was to wear the lighter support hose & then a pair of cheap regular hose in a better color over the top. i didn't do this often & yes it's a pain in the you know what but on a few important occassions it was worth the hassle....

hope this helps,

;) melissa

How long have you been wearing them for? I find that Ames Walked 30-40 to be the best and least noticable (if it's possible to not notice them with shorts, lol, people stare at my feet and legs in the summer sometimes) but I try to get at 2-4 every few months and then have a good pair set aside if I have a big day that I need extra support

Madeline

My favorite sheer is the Sigvaris 770 series. I have the color "natural" and it is almost invisible on me. I'm on the pale side, so if you are more tan the "suntan" shade might work well for you.

My next two favorite sheers are Jobst Ultra Sheer and Juzo Attractive Line 4601/4602.

I hope you find some that work well for you.

Rachel

Thanks all. i've been using AmesWalker for a couple of years. The pairs I have now were purchased about a year ago and are literally on their last legs :) pun intended.

For me, the nude color for the AW brand is a weird tannish tint on my legs, and I am definitely pasty pale as i rarely go in the sun--and when I do, I'm covered in the highest spf protection I can find... I usually wear one step up from the very lightest makeup you can buy--usually labeled something like "fair", or for my powder makeup, it's called "fairly light" (a nice way of calling me lighter than fair, aka pasty!).

Nina

Guest tearose

Seems like the most natural looking compression hose in the 30-40mmHg for me has been the JUZO Model 4602 Model AT/AM Color Beige The box says new easy fit sizing and "Attractive" Compression Stockings. ( they are the panty hose)

Happy shopping!

tearose

One day when I wore the tan colored stockings under shorts, an acquaintance of mine did a double-take and then said, "Oh, you're wearing stockings! For a minute there I though you had a prosthetic leg."

When I wear the black ones, people think that I'm making some sort of Goth fashion statement.

I don't care how they look, although the black ones are slimming, which doesn't really matter much with my skinny legs. What matters to me is the Allegro ones don't aggravate my incurvated toenails, which used to hurt like the blazes with the Jobst hose until I cut the toes of the stockings open.

I only wear pants, so I suppose I could wear any color, though I really don't like having "fake tan" legs. I guess it reminds me of the 70s! If I wore a skirt, it would be quite the sight with clunky knee braces, ankle braces, and birkenstock clogs to accommodate orthotics. My mother saw me with all those accessories before I'd put on my jeans, and oh-so-supportively, burst out laughing.

just to clarify, i answered with the jobst ultrasheer specifically in response to what looked most natural. of the 6-7 types i've tried they would win hands down in that regard. they aren't, however my favorite in terms of comfort...specifically in regard to my toes (as mentioned by lthomas; i'm not the only one!!!). i much prefer toeless varieties in the comfort department which aren't available in the jobst ultrasheer (or at least weren't when i last could wear them). i too cut the toes off of an older pair or two though they tended to just curl a lot then around my foot so it wasn't ideal....

:) melissa