Natural Supplements

maryfw

Yes. The single most effective thing for me is to take large doses of thiamine (vitamin B1), far more than you would get from food. I didn't seem to have a secondary thiamine deficiency (such as from malabsorption). Other B vitamins seemed to help, too. I don't know why.

Then there's licorice, which I use instead of Florinef.

Mary,

I don't know if you have problems with migraines, but I get a lot fewer when I take magnesium. I also take fish oil (because it's supposed to be good for you, and I'm a bit land-locked here on the Great Plains!) and a multivitamin. And calcium. But the magnesium is the only thing that really seems to make a difference with any symptoms.

Good luck!

Amy

I take licorace, magnesium, and vitamin C, as well as melatonin. Licorace as in licorace root extract, which can be found in many health food stores or vitamin shops, in liquid form. I started on 10 drops 3x day, and my cardio moved me up to 15 drops 3 x day. My bp has been higher on this than with any other therapies I've tried.

I take glyconutrients which help greatly with my chest pain/shortness of breath. Also I take a natural product that helps balance out the endocrine system. It is great.. it helps so much with my fatigue. I try to stop taking it and I go back to sleeping all day.

I have found acetyl L-carnitine to be incredibly useful in terms of increasing energy and improving memory and focus. You can find it at GNC, Whole Foods, or other health related stores. I recently found a website www.vitacost.com and you can usually get various vitamin supplements at reduced cost. I purchase my acetyl L-carnitine from there because you get the most for your money. I have worked my way up to about 3,000mg which is about three times as high as the recommended dose, however, I am under a cardiologist's care. I was able to discern a great improvement after just taking the 500mg tablet twice a day which is the recommended dose. I noticed the difference the first week of taking the supplement. There is also a prescription supplement called Cerefolin NAC. It is usually used in Alzheimer's patients. It is essentially a combination of folate and b-12. The supplement elevates mood, increases mental clarity, memory and focus, and also increases energy. There is a website for the supplement. I believe it's www.cerefolinnac.com if not feel free to google it. Hope this helps.

Best Wishes,

Adria

And to further Adria's comments, I have also found acytyl L-Carnitine very helpful. I take 2000mg. I was also told that if you take this you should also take Alpha Lipoic Acid ( I take 500 mg twice a day, which is again mid-range I believe). Taking the 2 together seems to be important as they enhance and support each other. Another doctor suggested taking benotiamin (a form of vit B1 with these 2, though I haven't tried this, though I do take 200 mg of co-Q-10 and since starting all this did notice a real improvement in energy.