Nighttime Shivering

Just wondering if this is just me or what. When I go to bed at night, I am always EXTREMELY cold!!! No matter what the thermostat is set on, when I get in my bed, I shiver violently and uncontrollably for probably 10-15 minutes, sometimes more, before I start to feel warm and can relax. It's horrible, and it's getting worse. I'm not sweating at all when I do this; I just shiver. I'm wondering if I should mention this to my neurologist at my next appointment. Maybe it's just me....

hmm that does sound a bit odd. I always have my fan on, because if i dont i get really really warm and sweat alot at night, however when i do have it on, i then in turn am quite cold some nights and will wake up shivering, but it isnt nearly as bad as what you have described. I guess it cant hurt to mention it to the neuro next time.

Good luck, hope it gets better soon, that would be annoying.

Mary

Do you eat right before you go to bed? Many times for me I get this type of reaction after I eat. If I don't get warm, then various unpleasant gastrointestinal symptoms start. I'm wondering if it's a similar mechanism, where blood flow is being rerouted, in your case back to your extremities, in my case to my abdomen to digest food. Just a thought. I'd mention it to the neurologist, hopefully he/she will be able to help you.

Sara

When I am overly tired I will shake and get very cold. I have found that a heating pad on my chest when I am going to bed helps to warm me up and calm down my nervous system.

Florinif also helps to calm things down.

Good Luck. I hope you can find some relief.

Rhonda

A heating pad on your chest!!! What a good idea. I had always kind of put it under me, but that messes with a herniated disk in my back and makes my back feel worse. I'm going to have to try it on my chest! You're a genius! :)

I have slept with a heating pad for years. First for back pain and then because I am always cold and my husband needs a fan. Also when my chest hurts and feels like someone is sitting on it, I use the heating pad on my chest.

mary

• 3 weeks later...

Before I was diagnosed with POTS I had chills frequently, but I had hot flashes too. I would be cold, shaking, needed tons of blankets, then a few hours later, burning up, sweating, throwing the covers off. Dysautonomia is a dysregulation of the nervous system, your nervous system controls things like body temperature. Your chills is probably just a side effect of your dyautonomia.