Singulair

Radha

for those of you who take singulair for breathing problems, like out of breath or hard to get a deep breath, how much do you take and did you feel better right away or did it take some time to see a difference? i am wondering how much i should take and how long i have to wait to feel better. at least i hope it will help! thanks

radha

In the UK Singulair (Montelukast) is licenced for treating both asthma (if not responding to salmeterol/serevent) and for treating severe seasonal rhinitis (hayfever).

In the past I took it for my asthma, but only for 4 weeks - moved to university and the dr there stopped it as she preferred to use other medications.

I am now taking it for hayfever but with the added benefit that appart from when I get an infection my asthma behaves perfectly. The only adult dose mentioned in the leaflet is 10mg at night. I'm not sure how fast it normally kicks-in.

Hope you feel better with the med,

Flop

Radha,

I have the same types of breathing problems but have only tried albuterol (fast acting inhalor) to no avail - since I don't have asthma. I'm interested as to why you were prescribed Singulair - my doctor did not think it would help. Please let me know if it does - I would love to find some relief!

Hi Radha-

I take singulair daily now. I used to take it when I felt a pain when I breathed in- like it was hard to get a good deep breath. Within 10-15 mins. of taking it, I felt almost instant relief. My allergist suspects that I may have Mast Cell Activation Disorder now and Singulair is a part of my daily maintenance drugs. It's been a lifesaver for me.

Sounds like it may not be working as well for you. Especially if you haven't experienced relief yet. Let us know.

Julie

Julie,

Do you have asthma or some other identifiable pulmonary disease? Or was Singulair just prescribed as a way to help breathing issues you have with dysautonomia? Do you have any abnormalities on your pfts? Mine shows low diffusion levels (DLCO at 65%) but that's it - no asthma. Am wondering if it would be worth giving Singulair a try.

Thanks!

no i dont have asthma, or any abnormalities, just hard to get deep breath and chest heaviness, and since not really any bad side effects, i asked if i could try it, and have chronic sinus congestion so not seasonal allergies, i thought you had to take 20 mg, i am taking 8mg now, and wanted to know if thats too low, and if i should have felt difference by now, taking for a week, thanks so miuch for all your replies,

radha

It's not clear that I have asthma, but I am severely allergic in general, and singulair is often prescribed for allergies, even without asthma. I can't tell you how much it works, as I also take allegra. It's supposed to block leukotrienes (sp?), so it works a little differently from antihistamines. But I can't tell you what that means!!!

I am not formally DXed with asthma either. I originally began taking singulair to treat symptoms (pain when I breathed in.) It worked fabulously. I have a long history of weird hives/lumps/anaphylaxsis. On and off through the years, singulair has been a maintenance drug for me. Dsdmom, I do not take it for dysautonomia alone. Although, there are definately times when I find it hard to get enough oxygen due to dysautomia (when my BP is really low 70/40.) Somehow I can distinguish that from the allergy related breathing problems.... Although for me the allergy and autonomic stuff seems all tangled up.

Julie

I take singulair 10mg 1x day for seasonal allergies. I use to use an inhaler, but it never helped so I stopped using it. I take 4 different medications for allergies, but still have only slight relief from my symptoms. The allergies have never caused breathing issues, just sinus stuff and eye stuff. The breathing problems have been an issue for quite a while, but we have never found something that works for me. I have learned to just lay down or sit and rest and let it go away. I get out of breath just walking from the couch to the dinner table(maybe 5 feet). The slightest bit of movement causes me to get out of breath. I have had all kinds of tests done and the doctors have found nothing. It was just chalked up to being out of condition. I know it is more than that, but I haven't been able to get any of my doctors to understand that. My cardio said it could be related to my severe tachy, but I get it even when my tachy is under control. I couldn't even finish my stress test do to being out of breath, but my oxygen levels were normal. It was once explained to me that I have no reserve energy. That once I started to move, my heart rate would increase drastically and my energy stores would deplete quickly, therefore causing my excessive breathlessness. Not sure if that makes since or not. I know what I want to say, but when it comes to typing it out..it changes some how. :unsure: Anyway, the first doctor that dx me with POTS is the one who told me that.

I agree with Julie, that all the symptoms overlap and get all tangled up. It's hard to understand what symptom is coming from what illness. It gets very confusing at times.

Hi Radha-

I diodn't realize that Singulair came in 8mg tablets. I take only 10mg and get good relief. Your description of WHY you're taking it sounds alot like why I started. I have heard that some need a higher dose. Talk with your doc.

Julie