Does anyone take anti-anxiety meds?

hilfgirl33

I find that lorazepam really helps my symptoms and it can actually make me feel more energetic than before taking it (that's not saying much). I also take Toprol, and I think that really helps the most (as before I was dx, I was only taking the anxiety med and I would feel somewhat more relaxed but I was having bad tachycardia).

Just wondering if I am the only one. I don't want to be on them long term but they really help my symptoms.

Anyone else.

Thanks

Elaine

I too take Lorazepam but not on a daily basis. At first I resisted because of the addictive factor. But, once my doctor explained that many of my POTS symptoms are made much worse because I over-react to ANY stimulation and using it could help me enjoy more things I had stopped doing I decided to try. I now use it when we are going on a car drive, church, when we have company etc and I find that it helps. I have uncontrolled BP and before taking Lorazepam any stimulation from noise, lighting, traffic and other busy environments etc would send my normally low BP up dramatically. It still goes up with Lorazepam but much less.

I would be interested in hearing if others find it helps them and/or have concerns with long term use.

I have been using Lorazepam for just over 2 years, and it has really helped with my symptoms though I am now trying to come up with a way to taper off the drug. I am going to try crossing over to Diazepam first and then taper since Diazepam stays in the bloodstream much longer and withdrawal is supposed to be much easier.

I will still need some kind of med for anxiety. Any suggestions? I don't have low blood pressure, but I too have tachycardia (85-90bpm supine, 125-140bpm standing).

-Dan

Dan,

Just curious why you are tapering off? Is there a reason why you can't take lorazepam the rest of your life if it adds quality of life? I often worry about taking the lorazepam long-term, but I don't know if this is a valid worry. It seems to work so well for my symptoms.

I am going to take this up with my cardiologist, too.

Hi Elaine.

I am on a fairly high dose, and would like to find a substitute that doesn't have the addictive properties.

There is a professor of Neurology in England named Heather Ashton who has focused on benzodiazapine addiction and withdrawal. Her 'Asthon Manual' can be found at www.benzo.org.uk. It has some very useful information.

I am not planning on tapering unless I can find a suitable, less addictive substitute. As for now, I continue to enjoy its positive effects. Hope this helps,

-Dan

Thanks Dan,

I did read some of the article, but will have to read more later. Very interesting stuff. I take approximately 2 mg of Lorazepam total per day. The only significant thing I feel is sometimes emotionally blunted. But I don't know if this may actually be a good thing in my case because when I get too excited (happy, sad or upset), I feel so sick. I do think I'm going to try cutting down my dose a bit. I don't think I'll switch to Diazepam though. I'm going to try it on my own first by just cutting back little by little. I am often capable of doing this without major withdrawal effects, but then I'll go through a bad phase with POTS and I wound up upping it, usually at bedtime because I have a very active little one and it is imperative that I sleep. I tried Ambien but I woke up drenched in sweat (I don't usually ever sweat), so I am reluctant to try anything new.

Let me know how you make out.

Elaine

It's interesting to read your posts about anxiety, because I have felt since I was diagnosed with POTS, I get anxious in various sitautions which seems to exacerbate my symptoms. I have not talked to my doctor about anti-anxiety meds yet, but maybe it's worth bringing up at my next visit. What kind of symptoms do you experience, and in what situations do you feel most anxious? I'm just wondering if mine is bad enough that I would need meds . . .

Hi Jessica-

Your son is very cute!

I tend to get anxious when I don't sleep well. That seems to be a major factor that triggers most of my symptoms. I also have had a lot of trouble with throat spasms, which is why I was originally prescriped Lorazepam.

I found the Lorazepam also helped a great deal with most of my symptoms (except tachycardia), including anxiety. The down side is that any time I called one of my docs when I was feeling worse, they simply replied "take more Lorazepam". With that said, I have been on a fairly high dose for over 2 years and have a lot of work ahead of me to taper off the drug.

There are many other classes of anti-anxiety meds that should be just as effective and non-addictive (Lorazepam is a Benzodiazapine like Valium). I am looking in to things like Paxil and Effexor (I believe these are classified as tricyclics????), though I have no personal experience with either.

If you are experiencing anxiety, I have learned that it does trigger other symptoms, so if you can control it safely go for it! Best,

-Dan

As I mentioned before, I am starting to taper off my high dose of Lorazepam (Brand name Ativan - a Benzodiazapine). I was prescribed this medication over two years ago for throat spasms, but it is poison at my current dose and I need to get off of it and find an alternative(s).

Does anyone here have experience with Zoloft in helping control anxiety (like the kind I am sure to encounter during withdrawal)?

Hi, I took paxil 20mg for three years and it was great. Some side affects but my pots symptoms were almost non-existant. Sometimes I would take Klonopin when my pressure was low and brought on panic attacks. If you are trying to withdrawal from a benzo (ativan) definitly go slow. Paxil has pretty mild side affects; weight gain, sexual and tired, the plus side is that it brought up my pressure and lowered my heart rate. I would love to go back on it but the doctor wants to try the proamatine with no other meds to see the results.

I'm with you there Dan!! I'm in the eastern panhandle of West Virginia, and I'm watching the rain and wind picking up out there, who knew I'd have a hurricane threat in WV?? We're only miles away from Northern Virginia, but still . . . good luck to everyone who is affected!! Try to stay relaxed!!

• 14 years later...

SSRI's help with anxiety. Long before I had POTS I had panic attacks and anxiety and was on Paxil and Wellbutrin also tried cymbalta but paxil worked best and I am still on it. I also take clonazepam (klonipin) as needed and tend to take half a pill of 5mg first before a full dose

I once had a narcotic drug issue in early 2000's(have been free of that demon for 15 years) and so I am very careful with my drugs and it is true that ant-anxiety meds that are benzo's CAN become addictive.  But what I have found out from others is if you fluctuate your dose and actually take much less or none on those quiet "do nothing" days your body is less likely to have a problem. It is with constant dosing of same dose over time that can cause a problem. But not everyone has the same response, but there are some who are more prone (addictive personality-or genetic addiction causes-alcoholism in family) to issues. It is also well known that if you take the same dose and frequency over a long period they become less effective (body makes you feel you need more) and you feel a higher dose is needed. This is when an addiction can occur.  But I am not saying these drugs are bad if used as needed and at reasonable doses. They can be taken regularly and be very helpful. Decreasing doses and frequency depending on how you* truly feel* is the key.

I meditate and do some peddling when my anxiety kicks in-one or both have proven beneficial to be and decreases my need for the half pill

Hope this helps

Debbie

Oh, sorry, one more thing. When attempting to decrease a long standing higher dose PLEASE please go very slow!!! It can be dangerous to stop cold turkey or to drop too fast so go very slow!! There is no rush