Head/skull Pain...anyone Get This? And Twitchy Eyes??

I have recently been getting pain at the base of my skull....on either side of where my spinal cord enters my skull. The part that kind of "sticks out" so to speak directly behind your head on both sides the base of your skull...you know, the part you rest on a pillow?

Anyway, I notice it is really sore after lying on a pillow or anything else, if I sit in front of the computer too long, etc. Does anyone else get this? What is it? This is a new symptom for me and it's rather irritating. B) Any ideas?

Also...does it bother anyone else when reading for a long time? I notice now that sitting in front of the computer too long, reading a book too long, looking at a magazine, etc starts to bother me after a while and makes my eyes all "twitchy." What's that about?! :)

it sounds like you may be describing something known as "coat hanger pain" but of course i'm not certain, and your description doesn't seem to fit 100%. if this is it, though, it's actually pretty common in orthostatic intolerance. it's described as such b/c it tends to be at the base of the neck & extend to the top of the shoulders a bit...sort of like the shape of a coat hanger. i know i get this pretty severely when i push being upright...which now for me means sitting. (all of my computer usage is lying down via laptop.) i've had this for years though to varying degrees if/ when i push my ability to sit and/or stand to whatever extent that is at the time. i'm pretty sure the reason behind it is thought to be related to decreased blood flow to the brain/ upper part of the body though there may be other theories as well. if orthostatic stress is the cause it should be relieved by laying down, though not necessarily immediately & with the possibility of some residual tension/ discomfort in the area (but to a lesser degree).

hope this helps,

B) melissa

Hi Melissa. Thanks for the info. I don't think that's what it is, because it happens when I lie down too. Especially lying with my head on something, like a pillow or propped up with my hand. My shoulders and neck don't bother me...just the base of my skull. So now I am really curious! Does anyone else have this? If not...maybe I should make a doc appt, or at least note it to my cardio in two weeks at that appt. Hmmmm....

How about the eye thing with reading, etc?

if it's something new for you and lasts for more than a day or so it's probably good to at least mention it to your doctor...

hope you get some answers/ relief soon..

B) melissa

I get that pretty often. When it's really bad, I have to sleep in a recliner, to lessen the pressure on the back of my head. I've been led to believe that it's muscles spasming and pinching nerves. If my trapezius and sternocleidomastoid (sp?) (muscles from shoulders to neck) are overworked, it happens more. Head forward work or anything that lets me hike up my shoulders worsens it.

But I haven't had my neck imaged in a long time-- this was just my doc's presumptive diagnosis. I probably have some instability and/or bulging in there somewhere too.

It's awful. My sympathy.

I had a similar pain at the base of my skull where my spine entered my head, it persisted for months before I was diagnosed with pots. My left eyelid had a constant twitch that drove me crazy to. These were two of the few symptoms that led me to be tested for lyme. Both are common in lyme, as were the pins and needles in my fingertips and painfull joints in my hands and the swollen area at the back of my leg behind my knees. Just thought I'd mention it cuz I saw several docs at the cleveland clinic and no one ever asked me if it could be possible I was bitten by a tick or even mentioned lyme and I ended up having it. It is believed that my pots was caused by the lyme and that was the cause of why I was so sick right before my pots came on.

Kim

There can be several reasons for this type of pain: 1. As mentioned before, muscle spasms in the neck can cause this. 2. Problems with the cervical disks in the spine impringing on the nerve roots. 3. Migraine. Do you get migraine headaches? If so, there is a huge connection between migraine and neck pain. 4. Occipital neuralgia - i.e. there are nerves that go to the occipital (posterior) region of the head and scalp, and these can cause pain. 5. Other causes that are less likely in your case.

If the pain is new or severe, consider calling your doctor. A cardiologist is unlikely to be helpful in this type of problem.

I wanted to add the importance of being "ergonomic" for me in keeping these headaches somewhat at bay.

I've had someone come look at my computer setup to make sure everything is at the right height. I also need to be careful when I read that I'm not looking down. I also don't do well if my head is turned to the side, for example when talking to someone next to me. I have to move my chair so that I'm looking straight at them. My pillow is also key. I sleep on my back with a u-shaped cervical pillow.

I get into the most trouble when I've been in some less-than-optimal posture for too long.

That said, this advice lessens but doesn't eliminate those headaches.