Vist To Neuro Tomorrow

Hello,

I am going to see a neurologist tomorrow. He saw me three years ago, but only to do an EMG test (which I later found out showed a slight delay in my left side...) I never saw him again, or even remembered him when I got the referral to see him.

I am quite nervous about going after seeing all the problems others are having with neuros lately. I half expect him to jump on the "I'm just depressed and need counseling and medication" bandwagon.

Hopefully I don't get nervous enough to make my POTS act up more. Or maybe I do?

Angela

Good luck Angela,

hopefully this neuro will listen to you and understand at least some of your symptoms. Don't go in hoping that they will have a magic fix as that is a sure way to end up disapointed after an appointment. Try to focus on any specific neurological symptoms you have whilst also explaining a bit about POTS if they don't know the condition. Hopefully they will be able to offer you something to make life a bit easier.

Flop

Hi Angela...good luck! I am sure you will do fine. I find that when talking to a doctor who doesn't know about a condition the best resource is to provide them research backed and credible information on it in a friendly, non-confrontation manner. My mom had to do that a lot, she has had FMS for 10 years, and in the beginning a lot of doctors told her it was all "in her head." So she started taking scientific and medical research articles on her condition with her for the doctors...not only did they appreciate it, and learn about it, but were more willing to take her seriously and help her the best they could.

So my suggestion is to go in with an open mind and a positive attitude that he will want to help. And take along information about POTS from a credible source, such as DINET (their POTS section has great info ofcourse!), the AHA, or any other source.

Hope that helps!

Lauren

Hi Angela,

I hope that all goes well for you at your appointment tomorrow. Many neurologists are wonderful and willing to help, so don't worry. Not everyone has difficulty with them. Explain yourself clearly and take yourself seriously; the doctor should do the same. Let us know how the appointment goes.

Rachel

Well, my "almost" worst fears were realized.

The only productive thing that came out of this was that I definitely have Chiari I malformation. I will start a separate post for this as I want to ask more questions about it.

He basically said he didn't know why I was there, he couldn't help me, the only thing anyone can do is control the tachycardia, I have to just live with the rest. :P

I'm pretty down tonight.

Angela