Anyone Try Domperidone?

I had an abnormal antroduodenal manometry motility study earlier this week. It showed some abnormalities of my GI track, most notably dysmotility of the stomach. (The study lasted 10 hours so by the time the doctor went over the results with me it had been a long day and I don't remember any of the technical terms for what I have)

The first thing I'm going to try is the medication domperidone. It isn't FDA approved yet in the US but is used in Canada and throughout Europe with much success moving things through the stomach. Just wondering if any of you from other places use it or have had any experiences with it?

I received mine today and am excited to give it a try as I'm hoping it will alleviate some of my nausea and vomiting...although not sure if it also helps constipation.

~Elle

Hi Elle,

I take 20mg of Domperidone 4x a day for gastroparesis, I have been on it since April. I have not noticed any of the side effects mentioned on the labeling. Unfortuately, it has not helped my gastroparesis symptoms (nor did any of the other drugs I tried)and I am scheduled to have a gastric pacer implanted next Wednesday. I do know people from another board I am on who are on Dom and they have had significant improvement of their symtoms, especially nausea. I do not know if it works on the lower GI system as well as the upper. I take Mestinon and it keeps my lower GI system running smoothly, if I do not take it I notice a change immediately. So perhaps you can mention this drug to your doc if they haven't recommended it to you.

I wish you luck with the Dom and am keeping my fingers crossed that it will help relieve your symptoms.

Sheridan

hello -

congrats on making it through the long day of testing...i'm sure you're glad that it's over!

i have taken domperidone and in general it has a very good reputation in the "gastroparesis community" so to speak. many people do very well with domperidone to varying degrees & few have problems with it, especially in comparison with reglan. the only side effect i had was some minor lactation, something that was nothing more than a slight annoyance. my understanding is that it acts most notably on the stomach but does also have some effect throughout the GI tract. it's not uncommon for people with GP to have some dysmotility elsewhere as well, though the degree varies & doesn't necessarily correspond to the severity of the GP.

for me it helped slightly in that it reduced my frequent vomiting somewhat and allowed me to have a few bites of things here & there, but it didn't do enough for me to get me off of TPN (IV nutrition). i'm on the far end of the spectrum though in terms of the severity of my GP (i.e. essentially no function/ motility at all) so am not someone who is necessarily good to use as a benchmark! i won't go into the details of my several trials with going on & off of it b/c they're likely pretty irrelevant to others, but i actually am considering giving it one last try in the hopes that i'd absorb it better (& this get greater benefit) through my J-tube.

it's great that your doctor knows about domperidone & supports you trying it. and it's a good indication that he's "in the know" in regard to motility issues. do make sure that you give it a thorough chance to help b/c while many notice improvement within two weeks (or sooner) it can take a month or even a bit longer for some people to feel its full benefit. it's unlikely to be approved by the FDA in the near future for various reasons (that have little or nothing to do with its use in GP), so if it helps & you continue with it over time, know that there are various options for getting in in terms of price, convenience, etc. i'd be happy to fill you in if/when you get to that point.

hope this helps,

:) melissa

Hi Elle,

over here in the UK Domperidone is commonly prescribed as an anti-nausea medication. My GP has prescribed it for me twice (I don't have gastroparesis or any significant dysmotility issues). I found that it was quite good at relieving nausea and stopping or at least reducing my vomiting. The main side-effect that I had was a bit of diarrhoea, but if constipation is a problem the side-effect of it speeding up the bowels can be beneficial. Essentially it works by speeding up gastric emptying so that stuff doesn't sit in your stomach for too long.

There have been several other threads about gastroparesis recently. Try a search for Domperidone as it has been mentioned. I think some were saying no effect but others said that at high doses and taken for several weeks it had become helpful.

Hope it helps your symptoms,

Flop

Thanks for the responses everyone! I will give it a try- my doctor got it for me through a compounding pharmacy. He mentioned the possibility of another manometry motility study in the future (this time to study the lower GI) but am so not ready to think about that yet as I'm still recovering from this one.

It would be great if this med could help with some of my symptoms- then I can go back and try and figure out what may help the dizziness and the whole list of neorological issues...

Hi Elle ,

I've been taking 'the champagne drug ' :) or Domperidone as you call it for ages now

Its the only thing I find works for me when I go into one of my 'sicking for the whole of the UK stages ' B) I also believe its given to cancer patients in the UK for anti-sickness so it cant be bad , I've never had any trouble with it and considering the amount of drugs and mixes I take , well thats brilliant in my books AMI .

I tried Reglan with no success. For nausea I have been popping my orally disolving zofran like candy...but it would be nice to take something that would actually help the problem.

It was funny, when the doctor said the name of the drug quickly...I thought he was prescibing me champagne (It had been a long day)- I was like can you say the name of the medication again.

~Elle