Did Fine on Airplane Trip! :)

Hi Everyone,

There was a discussion a week or more ago about air travel and POTS. I know many of us have travelled by air and done fine, despite the dry, lowered- oxygen conditions, and I just wanted to add my experience.

This was my first time to travel by air since being diagnosed with POTS in 2003. The first flight was 2 hours, and I noticed a sense of wanting to breathe faster (like starting to hyperventilate). Not an anxious feeling, but just like I needed more air. This passed before the descent. I didn't have that experience again on the remaining three flights, and had no other symptoms--including no noticable swelling in my ankles/legs. I didn't feel bad or strange afterwards at all, and was able to jump right into caring for two toddlers and my pregnant-with-twins friend I had flown to, to help out!

BTW, two weeks prior to the trip, I had weaned off my beta blocker and am only taking 20 mg of Prozac a day.

Perhaps this will help quell concerns others have about air travel, especially if other POTS patients have had similar positive experiences!

Katherine

Thanks, Katherine ... nice post! And so glad to hear you had a postive traveling experience and that you were able to do all that you wanted to do on your trip!

I too have positive flight experiences; I've never suffered additionally during the flight or afterwards (especially now, with adequate hydration & compression hose etc)... I suppose the only thing is the usual-and-customary pre-trip jitters that for me can affect my sleep and hr etc. But no biggie, and certainly nothing that would make me choose not to fly.

Cheers,

merrill

Yay! I am so glad you did well. It always helps to have a little distraction on board (i.e. a squirming toddler) :rolleyes: I've flown several times in the last 2 years and did fine every single time. I think once you get the initial flight overwith it puts you at ease for future travel. I have never flown more than 2 hours, though, so next time I take a long flight I might be a little nervous.