Hot Weather Affecting Anyone Else??

I was just wondering if the higher temps. have been affecting anybody else, for me i live in MN so its not going to be as bad as farther south, however when it gets over 70 for me its been alot harder :lol: . i also wear compression stockings and then i dont wear shorts or caprees....what do those of you who wear the stockings do during the warmer days?

Also if you have any tips for how to deal with the warmer weather i would love to hear from you! thanks a bunch!

~mary

Hi Mary, welcome.

In the last 2 weeks there has been a topic about comprssion stockings and hot weather - you might find some useful tips there if you flick back through the last couple of pages or search for compression and heat.

Here's to fans and breezy weather,

Flop

Hi Mary,

Yep, heat is hard on those of us with POTS. Anything over 70 or 72 degrees (depending on the day!) is hard for me too. So I stay inside unless it is a cool evening. When I have to go out I almost always wear a long skirt. I found some great long cotton and cotton/linen skirts at Old Navy this summer. They're almost as cool as shorts, but they also cover most of your stockings if that is a concern. The skirts are casual enough that you can wear them every day with a t-shirt, or dress them up some with a nicer shirt.

If you spend a lot of time outdoors there are also some vests available that help to keep you cool. Here is one site that offers them: http://www.coolsport.net/index2.html I've never actually used one, but others here have and like them very much. If you go to a search engine and type in "cool vest" you will find several more websites too.

I hope you can find something to help you beat the heat!

Rachel

P.S. Welcome to DINET! I'm glad you found us!

Thanks for all the help, i read through the previous conversations and they were very helpful. I think i will look for some long skirts, and soon school will be out and i wont have nearly as much trouble,(since im sure you all know how judgemental high schoolers can be!- but i try not to let it get the best of me, because feeling healthy and being able to function is all that actually matters) plus the school isnt air-conditioned so that can be quite tricky, and then having to walk back and forth to classes adds a whole new tiredness......hey do you guys think that carying my backpack with my books would be easier than go back and forth?........thanks again!

~mary

I'm good for nothing in warm temperatures. Wet noodle.........

I'm already suffering, I can not imagine what the higher temps will do to me. My Dad has a beautiful built in pool that I would love to go in this summer, but just the sun on my head makes me sooooooo sick. I need pool therapy, but can't handle the therapy pools because they are too warm.

Not sure what to do, as the cold winters are terrible also. About 67 degrees is perfect for me----maybe 70 with no sun.

Rachel, thanks for the site on the cooling vests. I heard about those, and this is definately going to be something I'll get this year. My cooling neck wrap helps me also, but not enough.

Maxine :0)

Hi Mary,

the books question is a good one without a really good answer. I find that carrying things makes me really dizzy, but that walking a lot makes me really tired. Would it be too embarrassing to use a wheeled case for your books (like a flight attendant or buisiness man's trolley case)?

Flop

Hello Mary and welcome to the forum. I am afraid it is going to be a long summer,just these fews days of hot and humid weather has been really rough and makes me very symptomatic,before I had POTS ,I was able to tolerate the heat really well.

I experience the same thing, when i carry stuff i get dizzy but then walking makes me tired, and in turn when i get really tired then i get even worse...so there really is no good answer, i think for the last 4 days or so there are of school i will probably just continue on how i have been, but next year i will have to look into something else if my symptoms continue to be a problem.

And i think your right Pat it will be a long summer, hopefully it will be better stress wise once school is out for me an then maybe i will do a little better, but if the weather gets real warm then i have a feeling that it might even be worse than it was during the school year, but i guess there isnt a whole lot that those of us with pots can do about that, we just have to adapt, :( .

Thanks for all the help!

~Mary

hi mary -

just a few things to add to what others have already said...

as you'll hear a lot in regard to dysautonomia, things vary a lot from person to person, but i thought i'd share my experience with compression hose & the heat with you in case it might be helpful. over the years i came to realize that - at a certain temperature - the benefit of wearing my hose was negated and in fact outweighed by the fact that the extra layer of clothing made me feel worse heat-wise. so essentially if it was hot enough there was no point in me wearing them...not b/c of the way they looked or the hassle but b/c i not only wouldn't feel better but would feel worse with them on than off. if i just had to "pass through" hot temps to get to air conditioning i would still wear them, but it i were to be in the heat for the majority of the time i'd just leave them off. this isn't the case for everyone but it was for me.

and another thought to throw your way regarding carrying your books around. it obviously won't help for the rest of this year, but a possibility to look into for next year is getting some additional accomadations at school in regard to books. your parents & doctor would have to help you in terms of the paperwork & process at the school, but if your doc supports you, you may be able to get extra set(s) of books to use so that you don't have to carry as much around. one example of this would be having a set to keep in your classroom/ at school and another that you keep at home. just wanted to let you know that there are creative options like this that might help you to maximize your energy. and it probably wouldn't even be that obvious to your peers ;)

i hope the last few days of school go okay for you. it's cooled down a bit where i am so hopefully it has for you too!

:) melissa

p.s. this is completely random, but i have a cousin named mary who is just a bit older than you so i feel almost like i know you :) obviously not really...i just think of her every time i see you pop up on the forum!

Hello,

Melissa thanks for all the information, i will deffinetly take into consideration that the compression stuff might not actually help if it is too hot, but it still might too, i will just have to see how that all factors in for my body.

I really like the book idea, i think that is deffinetly something i will check out for next year!

And regarding your cousin Mary, my gymnastics coach (from when i was able to do gymnastics.....that was actually what caused me to get POTS ;) ) was named melissa, and i really liked her, and i always think of her....so i guess we both just make each other think of good friends! :)

Hope you have a wonderfl evening!

Mary