Stockings And The Heat!

It's getting hot and humid here and I'm really wondering how I'll continue to tolerate compression stockings as the mercury rises. Any suggestions?

Of course, on top of the stockings, I have my lovely ankle, knee, and pelvic braces for my sloppy eds joints. I'd love to wear shorts, but would look truly silly.

hi!

to be honest: i don't mind looking silly. i wear compression hose AND shorts, skirts, whatever i want. i really don't care, i want to wear nice clothes and don't even think about compression hose anymore. i've tried not to wear it, but then i couldn't be in the car (as a passenger, i don't drive anymore) because i got very dizzy and sick. after putting it on again, i almost immediately felt better.

when it is hot and humid i have to put it on early in the morning (but then again, i always put it on when i get up in the morning) because i can't make it anymore when my body gets hot. hope this helps!

corina :)

oh, i may have to add that i'm married for quite some time. i might have thought different about this when i was 20 :):D:)

I've bought some long loose / floaty skirts to wear (with my compression underneath) when it gets hot over here. My compression stockings are black so they are going to look rather odd with summer skirts but never mind. I'd rather be looked at for weird socks than for passing out.

Flop

I bought a few long skirts to wear this summer. I got some lightweight cotton and some cotton/linen skirts from Old Navy. You can check them out online probably. They don't come all the way to my ankles since I'm tall, but they do cover most of my stockings. I have found them to be very cool and comfortable. I just pair it with a nice t-shirt and I'm cool and comfortable. At least as cool and comfortable as I'll get in the summer!

I also bought a pair of waist high compression hose (usually I just wear knee high or thigh high) to wear with shorts or capris. They are a very thin and attractive pair from Juzo.

Mkoven, if you choose to wear shorts, don't worry about your braces. As long as you are comfortable, that is what's important. But if you really don't want them to show, a long lightweight skirt would probably help a lot to keep you cool.

Flop, I haven't tried powdering my feet, but I haven't had too much of a problem with my feet sweating. Sometimes when we're driving around I'll put my feet up on the air conditioning vents to keep them cool! But usually I can't stay in a hot environment long enough for my feet to sweat much.

Flop, powder does both help with getting them on and also some sweating, but it doesn't stop the sweating altogether. I also use spray deoderant on my feet to as well, you feet have as many sweat glands as your underams you know! If you let it drybefore you put them on it will help the stockings from sticking!

Madeline

Thanks Madeline,

I've only been wearing my compression stockings for a few weeks. Previously wore all cotton socks so no problem with sweating, but these nylon & lycra ones are really sweaty. I'm worried that my feet are going to smell terrible by the end of a day at work.

Do you just use a normal underarm spray antiperspirant on your feet or do you get a special foot version? I looked today and they have foot sprays in the supermarket but at high prices compared to the usual women's sort.

Thanks,

Flop

I don't mind the looks or the sweating. I just feel incredibly hot wearing compression hose, which seems to trigger my POTS symptoms. I can barely tolerate them once it hits 70 degrees...although sometimes I put them on once I get to the office, since it's always too cold there.