Pet Food Recall

Jacquie802

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if anyone was affected by the animal food recalls here...Luckily my cat doesn't eat canned food anymore but my sister had a few cans for her cats...So far they are okay.

Jacquie

Guest tearose

I was thinking the same thing! It is worrisome. I think I would start cooking up my own wet food. What is happening is not good. They still haven't figured out exactly what is wrong. Maybe bad wheat gluten? And who could imagine that one company produced so many products!

We don't need people to worry about more things...

Climate, war, economy, health care, food supply...it is getting harder to keep a positive attitude!

I hope all our family with pets have not had this concern!

tearose

ONe of my patients' cat died due to the tainted catfood. She was nearly in tears talking about it. She was on the local news and has joined a lawsuit. She says that the wheat gluten was tainted with arsenic. The wheat came from China and over there they used rodentacides. Sad, very sad. She fed her cat Iams brand. My two cats are fine with Friskies dry food.

Karyn

• 2 weeks later...

Our breeder (Wilbur's breeder of Savannah cats) let us know that a companion cat, a young Maine Coon, of one of Wilbur's siblings died after going into kidney failure from an IAM's product. Very sad. ;)

If anyone is curious enough to read some books about the manufacturing of pet foods, 2 excellent books are Raw Meaty Bones by Tom Lonsdale; and Food Pets Die For by Ann N. Martin.

In my personal opinion, and not trying to shove that down anyone's throats, just giving info I have found very informative, I wouldn't feed my pets any brand of food that didn't comply with AAFCO standards, as they really look to protect what goes into the food and how it's produced. For example many would be shocked what can be construed by many companies as meat by-product (a very common ingredient in pet foods AND treats), and road kill is allowed!

Also I feel if you are buying cheap food for your pets, you're getting what you pay for, and that isn't much. Many trainers and experts recommend paying the most you can with a reputible company to ensure your pets are getting what's best for them. Foods that are AAFCO approved are not hard to find, nor do I feel they are extravagent costs to ensure they meet the proper nutrition of what we consider family members.

Furthermore, if you DO want to make your own dog foods, some excellent recipe books, and food and treats that comply with AAFCO, come from Three Dog Bakery link: http://www.threedog.com/, they have the Three Dog Bakery Cookbook link: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearc...p;pwb=1&z=y as well as Cooking The Three Dog Bakery Way: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearc...18190&itm=1 that have been approved by our dogs, as well as extended family and friends' pets, and making pet treats are excellent homemade gifts in my opinion too!

So sorry and sick about all these pet losses, and hope they get to the bottom of the problem soon, because it seems the recalls are going to keep coming.

From the AAFCO.org website what they're about:

The term AAFCO stands for the Association of American Feed Control Officials. A basic goal of AAFCO is to provide a mechanism for developing and implementing uniform and equitable laws, regulations, standards and enforcement policies for regulating the manufacture, distribution and sale of animal feeds; resulting in safe, effective, and useful feeds. The Association thereby promotes new ideas and innovative procedures and urges their adoption by member agencies, for uniformity.

Purpose and Function of AAFCO:

The purpose of the corporation shall be to establish and maintain an Association through which officials of any state, dominion, federal or other governmental agency and employees thereof charged with a responsibility in enforcing the laws regulating the production, labeling, distribution, or sale of animal feeds or livestock remedies may unite to explore the problems encountered in administering such laws, to develop just and equitable standards, definitions and policies to be followed in enforcing such laws, to promote uniformity in such laws, regulations and enforcement policies, and to cooperate with members of the industry producing such products in order to promote the effectiveness and usefulness of such products.