Neuropathy Symptoms:

LindaJoy

Hi, everyone,

It's been a long while. I hope this finds all of you getting along well. I'm still struggling. I'm still being worked up by Dr. Parikh at the CCF for mitochondrila dysfunction. In the meantime, I'm a new patient of Dr. Shield's, at CCF--many of you know him, I've been reading--and he's looking at me as having neuropathic POTS, since my neuropathy has been spreading and the symptoms getting a bit more distracting.

Could you who struggle with neuropathy tell me how it makes you feel (symptoms)? Also, do any of you have gastric problems due to the neuropathy? Can neuropathy cause gastric problems?

Thanks, everyone. Sorry to have been gone for so long. I'm to the point, I'm too weak to sit at the computer.

Hugs to all,

LindaJoy

LindaJoy

I am sorry to see that you are still struggling so. I am glad you are getting good medical attention and hope things improve for you soon.

I don't know the cause of my POTS--I have never had that evaluated. Yes, I believe neuropathy can affect the GI system.

Hope you get some answers soon--to your post and for your condition.

Katherine

LindaJoy,

Sorry you are having such a hard time. I have neuropathy affecting the my left side. I also have a very slow digestive system. The immunologist I work with had a number of patients who's primary neuropathy symptome is stomach issues. I hope you can get some answers and some relief.

Rhonda

I have been diagnosed with idiiopathic autonomic neuropathy. It affect the whole autonomic nervous system. sometime the docs write autonomic dysfunction on my orders so they are one in the same. Go Mayoclinic .com and look up autonomic neuropathy.

I have POTS and Gastroparesis which is both caused by my autonomic neuropathy, also migraines.

Some people think becuase I have this my hands and feet hurt etc but they dont, that 's periperial neuropathy.

Well you can PM me if you have any more questions.

Dayna

Guest tearose

I was told my gastric problems are related to autonomic dysfunction.

I hope they can get your spreading neuropathy under control. You asked about symptoms, my neuropathy is limited to my left side. I think it is an unusual presentation so I don't think I can offer any insights here.

wishing you good things,

tearose

hi linda -

if you've read past posts i'm sure you've seen that i'm a patient of dr. shields, though i haven't seen him since november as i've been too ill to get to cleveland. i actually don't think too many on the forum have seen him though i've always been very impressed with him myself.

neuropathy can definitely cause GI problems, most often in the realm of motility. my stomach is all but entirely non-functional and my small intestines have very limited motility/functioning.

hope this helps,

B) melissa

You've gotten excellent replies from everyone. I'm also a fan of the mayoclinic.com site that Dayna recommended. Search for "autonomic neuropathy." It lists every bodily system that can be involved and how. It definately connected the dots for me. My son's GI troubles have been attributed to an autonomic neuropathy and my docs are assuming the same is true for me-even though I haven't done all of the testing. We're taking the same meds and they're helping us both.

Julie

Count me in with gastroparesis too....took the two hour stomach emptying test years ago. However, as my POTS improved, so did my stomach. Now I only have occasional problems. But the autonomic neuropathy is to blame. With me, eating late in the day makes it worse in the mornings (makes sense). You can get good advice on gastroparesis on some diabetes websites, folks.

Best wishes,

Elegiamore