Having Trouble Keep My Fluids Up

P SUDIK

I am drinking drinking drinking,and going going going. I drink alot of water and gatorade,I can't seem to keep any of it.I am feeling worse than usual and my usual is bad enough. Any suggestions would be really appreciated!

I would also like your input on diet sodas, I like some caffiene free diet sodas,are they ok for us ?

Thanks again for your help, P

Just heard yesterday that the carbonated drinks are actually dehydrating. Also the aspartame is getting a really bad rep these days and many of the sodas make bone loss worse. Sigh! Have you ever tried saline IV's? Some people have them when they are having a hard spell and they seem to help them.

I have had a few I V's on and off mostly thru the ER. I have an appt. next week with my pcp, I was hoping somehow IV's could be done other than in the ER. Most of my docs,I think, send me to the ER too often, too easily.My cardio says "if you get an IV,you will just pee it out" P

Are you eating lots of salt? Gatorade helps, but it is actually pretty light on salt in the grand scheme of things. I find I have to drink lots of broth and eat plenty of salty foods. And if adding salt to your diet isn't working, you may want to consider meds that make you retain salt, such as florinef.

I used to drink tons of diet soda and gave it up for a while when I had POTS. But I've found it's really hard to keep up my fluid intake. There is only so much water a girl can drink. I do have a diet soda here and there, just to add some variety. But I mostly drink water or broth, which is high in salt.

Are you eating lots of salt? Gatorade helps, but it is actually pretty light on salt in the grand scheme of things. I find I have to drink lots of broth and eat plenty of salty foods. And if adding salt to your diet isn't working, you may want to consider meds that make you retain salt, such as florinef.

I used to drink tons of diet soda and gave it up for a while when I had POTS. But I've found it's really hard to keep up my fluid intake. There is only so much water a girl can drink. I do have a diet soda here and there, just to add some variety. But I mostly drink water or broth, which is high in salt.

I take a saline IV once a week. I feel better that evening, into the next day and a wee bit better into day 3. I also drink about 12 drinks a day with Italian Sea Salt (just enough so you can taste it). About 8 glasses of room-temperature water and 4 that are 1/4 white grape juice and 3/4 water --also with the sea salt. I have found this to work best for me so far through trial and error. The juice seems to be a good balance with the water only for blood sugar without it being too much. I find if I drink 2 glasses of salt water and 2 of juice within an hour of waking up it really helps me feel better than if I didn't do this.

My mom had sent me this on Italian Sea Salt

"Italian sea salt is produced from the low waters of the Mediterranean Sea along the coast of Sicily. It is a natural salt rich in minerals such as iodine, fluorine, magnesium and potassium with a much lower percentage of sodium chloride than regular table salt. The salt pans are filled with the seawater in the spring and left to evaporate relying on the heat of the Sicilian sun and strong African winds. Harvesting takes place once the water has evaporated and it is crushed and ground without further refining. These salts have a delicate taste and plenty of flavour without being too strong or salty"

I had been using table salt before that and found that this tastes better and gives me a little more energy. You need to use more of it than regular table salt.

Hope this helps.

Hi.

You need enough protein to keep fluid in your bloodstream and enough quality fatty acids to keep it in your cells.

The water clings to the salt, so it's important, but the whole unit is moved around your body according to osmosis and the integrity of membranes -- which requires proteins and fats.

If my proteins get low, my legs get "fat" while standing, especially in the heat.

OLL