Iv Fluids - When?

Tessa

Since knowing about POTS, I have started to understand most of my symptoms and health problems.

For years, I have gone through many different kind of tests (some invasive) in order to find what was going wrong with me, blood tests, colonoscopy, endoscopy, they even took liquid from my spinal cord, fasting tests, etc.

I have had some strange reactions sometimes, for instance, during blood tests, having sedation when an endoscopy was done, a syncope during an inyection of Novocaine and Celestone, etc.

I have read some posts where most of you mention the importance of having IV fluids during and after some tests and as I am confused about it, but want to have enough knowledge to avoid future problems, would you be so kind to tell me when we need to have IV fluids?

Please, it would be so helpful for me (and I am sure also for many others who are reading this post). If we share information about this, we can learn from echoder.

Thanks in advance for your answers. Looking forward to reading them,

Love,

Tessa

My Dr mentioned that dehydration is a big problem and it can make symptoms worse, but I don't have any idea as to when IV should be given.

I know that I'm always struggling to keep hydrated. (I'm sure living in AZ doesn't help)

Guest tearose

I can't even tolerate novovaine...it makes me pass out. The dentist uses septacaine instead. It doesn't have any epinepherine, or at least the tiniest amount.

As for my experience for needing IV's...I need them when I must fast from the night before for surgery. When I explain I have POTS, I am not required to fast as long anymore for tests like colonosocopy and endoscopy.

I needed one once for the after-effects of a heart-stress-test that brought on a to die from migraine and nausea.

Others need IV's more frequently for hydration. I find the electrolyte packets and water have helped me for hydration.

tearose

T, what are the electylite packets,where do you get them?

Thanks Pat

Guest tearose

Pat..."Kaolectrolyte" (by Requa) or "LiquiLalyte" (by Gerber) packets are sold in boxes in a pharmacy or in very large supermarkets in the baby/child section. They are intended to rehydrate kids when they are dehydrated. They are ideal for adults when we need to drink fast to rehydrate with balanced electrolytes. They are not sickly flavored like gatorade.

hope this helps,

tearose

Thanks T,do you take these electrolyte packets on a regular basis or just as needed?

PAT

Guest tearose

Pat, I use these as needed. In winter, maybe once or twice a week after an excursion to the supermarket for example and feeling dry. In the summer, could be as many as two per day during a heat wave. I practice good judgement and try to get good balance from regular foods and beverages however, as you know, in us, the dehydration can creep up quickly. This is my quick fix.

tearose

tessa -

when some people need IVs more often for various reasons, the most important time that pretty much anyone with autonomic dysfunction usually needs them is any time when you aren't able to keep up with oral hydration, such as when not allowed to drink after midnight the night before a test/procedure/surgery. some also need them when fighting an illness, esp if it causes GI symptoms or limits intake.

hope this helps,

:) melissa

tessa -

i'm now on IVs 21 hrs daily as I can't eat or drink at all "normally", but prior to that i never received IV fluids solely because i was having bloodwork done. i can't recall anyone else on the forum getting fluids just for that reason either, though i can't say that for certain. 99% of the time the amount of blood taken is miniscule so unless the actual needle prick or thought of blood is a problem for you (pain can cause syncope for some, as can the sight of blood) physiologically extra fluids shouldn't be needed.

that said, if bloodwork is being done b/c of an acute illness or in a situation that has required no oral fluid intake, IV fluids might be helpful.

hope this helps,

:lol: melissa