How Do I Stop My Periods?

lmbutare

This might be on the sight somewhere, but I had some trouble finding it with my searches. I have found that I am absolutely miserable the week before and the week of my period, so half the month is destroyed by menstruation! I want to suppress it for a while to see if that helps, but I'm not sure what other people have found useful. I'm going to do what my doctor recommends, but I figured there were various options so I thought some of you might have suggestions on what worked best for you.

Thanks so much for your help! I've been a bit down and out so I haven't been on the site for a while. Hope everyone is hanging in there.

LBS :blink:

I use a low dose b/c pill...Aleese to supress my periods. I take them continuosly for 3-4 mths and then I let myself have a period. You can use any b/c pill to do this as long as it's one that has a steady dose of hormones the entire mth. ( I forgot what the term is). You can't use any that taper the dose off toward your period...again I'm sure someone will chime in with the correct term.

If you do a search on Birth control pills or supressing periods you will find a lot of info.

Good luck!

Hey Diz...I may be incorrect about the type of b/c pills you can use. I THOUGT that it was important if you were going to skip the placebo week and just take back to back pill packs that you needed the steady dose so that you weren't having your hormone levels fluctuate. My understanding was the pills that have varying levels do so to prep. you for a period? I could have sworn this was explained in another post but there are so many when I do a search I can't find it.

Maybe Morgan or Ithomas or someone can explain better?

WE,

I have also seen that you need to be taking a monophasic pill instead of a triphasic pill when suppressing.

LBS,

I suppress my period using Alesse also, and have only had one period in the past 3 years (not exactly kosher with the docs, but the best we can do right now). Best to have 4 periods a year.

DD,

Did your gyn know you were suprressing with the tricyclic pill? You can always call a pharmacist. I swear they get it right more often than the docs when it comes to med questions like that.

Lthomas:

NuvaRing, as I understand it, IS a bit lower dose of hormones, BUT b/c of the absorption where it is placed in the body, you don't need as much hormones to absorb the same amount as you would taking an oral pill. The capillaries are very absorbant in the area where the Nuva Ring is placed.

Later alligators!

Emily

i've been suppressing for years due to the increased syncope i'd have for several days prior to my period. like others have said, my understanding was that monophasic BC was/is the best way to do this. whenever i start to have a lot of breakthrough bleeding i allow for a period which ends up being 2-3 times/year for me.

for quite some time i took levlite continuously, a low-dose monophasic. after some problems with abnormal ovarian cysts i was switched to seasonale due to the fact that it was a bit higher dose. it's also the pill marketed for fewer periods, though that was/is really here nor there. this past fall i switched to Nuvaring b/c of my severe GI problems causing frequent vomiting and problems with absorption of meds even when they did stay down.

hope this helps,

:) melissa

I haven't had a period in over 3 years, since before getting a Mirena IUD. It's got a continuous super-low dose of synthetic progesterone (levonorgesterol?), and stays in for up to 5 years. Supposedly 20% of women on this have the same side effect of amenorrhea, but I don't know if there's a commonality that allows this reaction. I was thrilled!!!

But I'm actually getting it taken out next week because it causes me pretty bad continual breast pain, minor to major cramps every day, and I've also gained 3 bra sizes. I was already a C. I plan on sterilization eventually, but I think I'll go au naturale for awhile (plus diaphragm). But I'll see how I do off of hormones... will let you know.

Megan,

That sounds like a similar affect that Depo often has. Sorry you've had so many side effects otherwise though.

Okay, this may not be my place, but I just wanted to make sure you knew that the diaphragm is only about 80% effective in preventing pregnancy??? Other barrier methods can be more effective...but I won't say more, b/c don't want to overstep my bounds! Sorry if I did!

Emily

Is anyone supressing their period over age 40? I also have a lot of tachy the two weeks prior to my period. Is there and issue with being over 40 and doing this?

I am on so many med's I have been slow to ask about this before. It would be nice to level things off a bit.

Thanks,

Rhonda

The purpose of the multiphasic pills (biphasic and triphasic) was to try to reduce side effects. Whether they accomplished that goal is unclear.

http://www.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab003283.html

It sounds plausible that one would use a monophasic pill for suppression, but there's probably not much data on it, one way or the other. Stick with what works for you.

I'm over 40. But I don't smoke and have good blood lipid levels. Plus I have low blood pressure and my compression stockings probably give me some protection against deep vein thrombosis. So I'm at low risk for cardiovascular disease.

Yes, I am over 40 and in order to attend my son's wedding, I had monthly injections of Lupon over 5 months hoping to go into menopause to end that horrible increase in symptoms associated with PMS and the aftermath. I did feel somewhat better, but then my period returned with a vengeance with even worse symptoms, but I did get to go to my son's wedding. I had tried Alesse and progesterone the week before my period but had such severe reactions to both of them that I had to be hospitalized two months in a row. I am still getting regular periods at 54 and dealing with all these same issues. Martha

I am over 40 and take continuous alesse. My life was miserable before and during periods with worsening of POTS, so I will take the small increased risk of stroke on BCP. I certainly can't take another pregnancy.

My GYN says I don't ever need to have a period. I don't have any breakthrough bleeding at all. I know the local GYNs will recommend having a period if breakthrough bleeding occurs. I have not stop alesse in years to have a menses. I would have to miss work to do it.

Karyn

Karyn,

That is so interesting that you take Aless continuously and have had no problems with breakthrough bleeding. I have to admit I am envious! I, too, take Alesse, but they switched it to the generic, Aviane (wonder if that is making a difference)? Hmmm....

I had my first period in three years in December to supposedly lessen the breakthrough bleeding. However, it's as bad or worse than it was before.

I am keeping track now on a calendar and spottend I think 16 out of 28 days this month and as many or more in January. Often it is a LOT of breakthrough, esp. when I pee or poop. :ph34r:

I know you are a doctor so it was interesting to hear your perspective. I know that the whole issue of suppressing continuously is controversial, but I am not sure that I really understand why or how having 4 periods a year makes it any safer or 'better'....

You mentioned a small increased stroke/blood clot risk (did you mean b/c you are over 40 or b/c you take it continuously)....

When I do the math, it seems like such a small amount of hormones extra over a year or even several years to make much of a difference (b/w 4 periods a year and suppressing continuously)...ya know?

I just wish I didn't have so much breakthrough bleeding and spotting, esp. b/c I am having so much trouble with vaginal/urethral/bladder irritation.

Different doctors have given me different opinions on suppressing continuously. But, the do 'get' that periods make me so sick it's pretty much unrealistic to attmept them....which I learned for sure in December.

Emily

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry it took me so long to answer. Gynecology is not my area of expertise but I do know that BCPs carry an increased risk of stroke. Getting older is also a risk factor for stroke. I have never heard that continuous BCP have any additional risk of stroke.

I was told by my pharmacy that the brand name alesse is not being made anymore. I also take aviane and had more cramping when I switched to generic. I don't have spotting. I count my blessings.

Different gynecologists have told me that I don't need periods and others say I should have one periodically. My current GYN says I don't need to have a menses, so I have followed his advice. I think the GYNs more widely recommend a period for patients with breakthrough bleeding. Having a period periodically is supposed to help that problem. I completely relate to not wanting to have a period though. My POTS goes to pot before and during a period.

Karyn

Can I ask all of you that are on b/c pills what your level of mobility is please.

The reason I'm asking is I was on Cilest (I think it's called Alesse in US) some time ago and it was wonderful for me. It's the only pill I've ever been able to take. However, I'm not allowed on it anymore or any pill due to high risk as I am pretty much in bed all the time and I'm overweight. I suffer so badly with periods.

I was thinking of trying the new progesterone one Cerezette but I'm wary as in the past I've tried pretty much all the mini pills and bleed every 10 days with worse pain. I've begged Dr's to do something about my periods but they're not interested. Right now I'd gladly have a hysterectomy!

tanzanite -

i've been on continuous birth control for years and am now primarily in/on bed. on "good days" i can get to the bathroom (a few doors down the hall) a few times (i also have a commode right next to my bed) and/or may move a few feet from bed to couch or recliner but other than that i'm pretty much immobile. i do do leg exercises & strech while in bed as able but for description purposes i'm considered fairly immobile.

weight-wise i'm on the lower end of normal/average these days though i have been anywhere from where i'm at now to slightly overweight at times over the years.

none of my docs are worried about blood clots for me (or any other complications) in relation to any of the rest of my health issues. perhaps it would be different if i were wanting to start birth control for the first time now but i'm not certain. i actually had blood clots in my subclavian vein this past august but everyone decided it was solely related to my broviac line; i asked multiple doctors and no one thought my being on birth control (or procrit for that matter, which also raises the risk of clots) had anything to do with it.

when i started birth control i was a lot more active and the improvement in my OI/ reduction in syncope that suppressing my periods allowed actually was instrumental in allowing me to stay more active for longer than i would have been able to otherwise. we're honestly not sure how much it helps me anymore but no one wants risk making anything worse at the moment. i've also had some abnormal ovarian cysts in the past which is an indication for being on birth control.

obviously everyone is different but for me the benefit outweighs the small risk. i've been to docs (autonomic & otherwise) all over the country and they all agree.

hope this helps,

:) melissa

tanzanite -

i've been on continuous birth control for years and am now primarily in/on bed. on "good days" i can get to the bathroom (a few doors down the hall) a few times (i also have a commode right next to my bed) and/or may move a few feet from bed to couch or recliner but other than that i'm pretty much immobile. i do do leg exercises & strech while in bed as able but for description purposes i'm considered fairly immobile.

weight-wise i'm on the lower end of normal/average these days though i have been anywhere from where i'm at now to slightly overweight at times over the years.

none of my docs are worried about blood clots for me (or any other complications) in relation to any of the rest of my health issues. perhaps it would be different if i were wanting to start birth control for the first time now but i'm not certain. i actually had blood clots in my subclavian vein this past august but everyone decided it was solely related to my broviac line; i asked multiple doctors and no one thought my being on birth control (or procrit for that matter, which also raises the risk of clots) had anything to do with it.

when i started birth control i was a lot more active and the improvement in my OI/ reduction in syncope that suppressing my periods allowed actually was instrumental in allowing me to stay more active for longer than i would have been able to otherwise. we're honestly not sure how much it helps me anymore but no one wants risk making anything worse at the moment. i've also had some abnormal ovarian cysts in the past which is an indication for being on birth control.

obviously everyone is different but for me the benefit outweighs the small risk. i've been to docs (autonomic & otherwise) all over the country and they all agree.

hope this helps,

;) melissa

That's so unfair, I feel hard done by now. Everyone just refuses to give me b.c pills. *Sits in the corner and moans* B)

Tanzanite,

I am sure that your doctors are not giving you estrogen because they don't want to kill you...literally. A blood clot in the leg can travel to the lung and you die.

I do have an idea that you could ask your doctors about. Depoprovera shots can lead to cessation of periods in some women and they only contain progesterone. That would get around the risk of estrogen in BCPs.

Hope this helps

Karyn

Karyn,

Thanks for responding...I actually have a call in to my Gyn b/c despite having a period in Dec. I've spotted most of the time since then...so having a period didn't do anything! Except make me sick! So far this month I've spotted all but three days!

Melissa,

I'm glad you chimed in on the mobility question b/c I wondered what your docs would say...mine don't seem to give it issue either, but like you I try to move my legs around in bed! <_<

Tanzanite,

I am not as immobile as Melissa, but fairly close (I move around the house a bit more than she does, but not a whole lot). I'm usually in bed or in a recliner. But, I can get up and down a bit more to go to the bathroom and I do usually make it to the mailbox each day. But that's it! And, I am still taking the pill. None of my docs have raised issue with this and they know how immobile I am. Like Melissa, I can't really take the risk of being OFF of the pill on top of everything else. Weight-wise I am 'healthy/normal', but have very high cholesterol, so that's not so great.

Emily