Atrial Fibrillation

bamagirl

Ah yes good old PVC's and PAC's. I deal with palps on a daily basis. As far as atrial fibrillation I am not sure. What do you feel with A-Fib?? I know people who have went for ablations and made matters worse for them. Did not take away palps at all, but actually made them worse. They ablate your sinus node which is a pretty delicate procedure. I worry any time doctors want to touch something that is so delicate. Have you had a second opinion?? I hope that you get some relief...

I don't have a-fib, but my dad just had surgery for it this past fall. For a-fib, they don't ablate the sinus node but rather the atrial node and/or electrical pathways. My dad had a mini-maze done which was a bit more invasive than ablation. He chose it after researching the two options. They thought my dad's a-fib was mild and anticipated a two-hour surgery. He was in the OR for 10 hours - they found so many incorrect electrical pathways through the heart. I haven't personally seen any research on atrial ablation in dysautonomic patients, but sinus ablation has been found to make POTS worse.

They're two very different procedures though on two different parts of the heart - if I understand and remember correctly!

I don't have a-fib, but my dad just had surgery for it this past fall. For a-fib, they don't ablate the sinus node but rather the atrial node and/or electrical pathways. My dad had a mini-maze done which was a bit more invasive than ablation. He chose it after researching the two options. They thought my dad's a-fib was mild and anticipated a two-hour surgery. He was in the OR for 10 hours - they found so many incorrect electrical pathways through the heart. I haven't personally seen any research on atrial ablation in dysautonomic patients, but sinus ablation has been found to make POTS worse.

They're two very different procedures though on two different parts of the heart - if I understand and remember correctly!

WOW! That is a long procedure!!How is your dad's a-fibs now?

Bamagirl,

I had fib/flutter and had an ablation in October. I have POTS. It did not cure my POTS of course but it did take care of the constant palpatations I was dealing with on a daily basis. Dr. Grubb did mine. It took several months for me to start feeling better, probably mid December, but I am glad I had it done. It made me feel worse at first, because it aggrivated my POTS (which is normal they said). Then when things settled down, I feel much better. I hardly ever have palpatations now and if I do, they are very mild and don't last long at all. I hardly even realize they are there unless I am laying very still in bed at nite ready to go to sleep. I hope this helps. You should look into it. A fib is dangerous. Your heart just sits there and quivers and causes blot clots that can be thrown out into your system. I hope they have you on a blood thinner of some sort.

Sincerely,

Susan, RN